Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Dodge Magnum reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
mkaresh
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Magnum reliability

Very sad to hear Dodge won't offer the Magnum after 2008. I've seen a few of the 2008 SRT8s around, and they look sweet.

Anyway, still need more participants, especially for 2007 and 2008.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
parawxman

05 Magnum RT AWD. Purchased new, currently 24K miles. Late into the game here, but I'll start here anyway. Hope I can help deter someone from a purchase, at least of a used 2004/5: Build date Dec 04. Not in any particular order of failure.. Three different DC dealers have seviced. Every item corrected or not corrected has been a painful process with the service departments.

Wifes car, immaculate, pampered not pounded like my car.

1. Both rear window regulators
2. right rear load leveling shock. For those with a thumping noise in the back that you can't find that sounds like the fold down seat...try replacing the shocks. It worked
3. chronic inability to shift properly...multiple attempts to reprogram have improved driveability somewhat.
4. Moveable pedals...failure to return to low position, especially when cold. Twice parts replaced, broken again. Eventually pedals go down with enough manipulation of the button, dealer thinks this is good enough
5. Paint on rear bumper, failure to adhere, has peeled from plastic bumper cover.
6. Gaskets on rear window deflector. Replaced per TSB
7. Loud clacking sound as of last week from rt valve cover and back fire from intake manifold. Seems like broken valve spring or collapsed lifter. Am sure dealer will try to fix on the cheap. Always Mobil 1 @ 3K miles
8. Poor OEM tires replaced at 10K
9. Overall performance: Disappointing. Dodge programed the torque managment to provide poor performance to minimize warranty issues with the powertrain. When car is placed in gear and attempted to move quickly the car won't move. Frightening when trying to take off from impending collision. Have seen other similar complaint, especially of AWD owners
10. Discovered accidently by bumping the shifter into neutral from drive on the highway with your foot on the gas, that the car will REQUIRE you to bring to a stop, place into park before going again. AS a test, tried same action in my SRT 6. Same result, another really scarey programing flaw, best to be careful not to bump into neutral.
11. Burned out horns at 8K miles, dealer replaced, now have horns with mismatching tones (sqauk now), as they worked, dealer won't fix. Seem to be failing again.
12. Steering wheel loose. Entirecolumn was replaced without argument...bet there is a TSB in there somewhere on this one
13. Horn pad was insensitive. Horn pad replaced. Slightly better
14. Cracked bezels around EVIC controls on wheel. Replaced
15. AWD seems to "crab"at low speeds.Thought it was my new F1 Eagles...then I mounted the snow tires and had same problem...then found the TSB...water in the transfer case vent...not fixed yet.
16. Brought in for gas mileage concers 5+ times when new...learned my lesson after car was reprogrammed two years ago and got WORSE not to complain again. Slightly better now after last reprogram.Magnums commute is generally less than 30mph, hence no MDS...12mpg in city
17. Noticed ATF leaking from transmission, not fixed yet.
18. Brought in for "weak" and "sloppy" gear changes numerous times...No fix, "operates as designed" Other Hemi and non Hemi LX cars I've driven shift better
19. Brought in for Failure to upshift at WOT numerous times, No fix, "operates as designed"

That's all I can remember for now, sure there will be more later. Best part of being in the garage now is that nothing else should break.

Interesting web site. How long will it be for free?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 AM
dodger05

This isn't for the survey, but some thoughts when compiling info for reliable stats. Different cars invoke a different response to the word "problem". Corvette owners may be more fickle about issues than Toyota Camry owners. I have a Honda Pilot that is on its third tranny. Did I have a problem.....? Nope, Honda fixed it with no questions, and even gave me a rental car.

My Magnum Hemi had the heads replaced at 67,000 miles. The dealer made it seamless. did I have problems? nope. But don't ask me about the&%@ back driver side power window. It has never worked reliably since day one. (It does work whenI take it to the dealer.)

I now have over 100K miles on the R/T. Do I remember the problem with the heads or the transmission problems? Nah..... I'm pissed about the stupid driver side rear window and having to replace a $900 instrument cluster because the speedometerdoesn't work.

I do enjoy driving the Magnum R/T more than the Pilot...... It is the dealers that make the car reliable.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
parawxman

Great news, I have more to write now on the UNreliability of my Dodge Magnum: (See earlier post, same thread)

Loud clattering sound from passenger side valve cover was bent push rod of #4 Intake. No response from dealer as to how this happened. No response as to where missing qt of Mobil 1 went in 200 miles

TSB for AWD was performed, "crabbing" at low speed eliminated. The "locked in four wheel low" feeling is gone.

Adjustable pedals still move to down position only when they feel like it.

And an exciting ALL NEW problem! Noted tonight, (230 miles since leaving the dealership from last visit)
Symptoms: Poor gas mileage 14mpg highway, (even for an AWD Hemi), 140 degree operating temperature...will not warm up, minimal passsenger compartment heat. Less than 25K miles on the car. Seems like a bad thermostat and a search of LX Forums seems to confirm a problem with cheap OEM thermostats in these cars. Back to the dealer it goes. Perhaps my poor gas mileage, performance, bent pushrod are all a result of running too cold and gas washing the oil over a period of years. Did I mentionthe CEL never illuminated while running as cool as 130?

These types of failures in this car are an embarrassment. You can't polish a turd.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
mkaresh
Banned

ORIGINAL: dodger05

This isn't for the survey, but some thoughts when compiling info for reliable stats. Different cars invoke a different response to the word "problem". Corvette owners may be more fickle about issues than Toyota Camry owners. I have a Honda Pilot that is on its third tranny. Did I have a problem.....? Nope, Honda fixed it with no questions, and even gave me a rental car.

My Magnum Hemi had the heads replaced at 67,000 miles. The dealer made it seamless. did I have problems? nope. But don't ask me about the&%@ back driver side power window. It has never worked reliably since day one. (It does work whenI take it to the dealer.)

I now have over 100K miles on the R/T. Do I remember the problem with the heads or the transmission problems? Nah..... I'm pissed about the stupid driver side rear window and having to replace a $900 instrument cluster because the speedometerdoesn't work.

I do enjoy driving the Magnum R/T more than the Pilot...... It is the dealers that make the car reliable.
Excellent point. This is why, unlike CR, I don't ask people to report what they consider to be problems.

Instead, I ask if the car was in the shop the previous month for ANYTHING beyond scheduled maintenance, a list of wear items (tires and such), or damage from an accident. It's a black and white question, not subject to interpretation. Either the car was in the shop, or it was not.

Just need more participants, and we'll all have better reliability info.

Go here for the details, and to sign up to help out:

Auto reliability research

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
hemimagnum340

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T 65,000 miles.

Issues to date:
8,000 miles battery went dead, towed to dealer. Was caused by faulty cells in the battery.
46,000 miles trans began leaking, dealer replace o-ring seals as part of TSB.

That's all thus far.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
mkaresh
Banned

I don't include batteries in the analysis, because too many extraneous factors (like leaving the lights on) can kill them. Yes, there are some clear cases of a defective battery, but can't have anything that requires fine print, because no one reads the fine print

On the o-ring, those are being replaced in most if not all LXs with the five-speed automatic. Giving a healthy bump to the reported problem rate. These days, one widespread problem like this makes all the difference between "average" and "worse than average."

Always looking for more participants. Details here:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
mkaresh
Banned

Latest results recently posted to the site. The repair rate for the Magnum continues to be worse than average. The most commonly reported problem is a leaking transmission o-ring.

Additional participants are very much needed, especially for the 2007 and 2008.

Vehicle reliability research

Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Pennsymagnumguy

Bought my '06 SXT with the 3.5 on 1/8/08. Car had 31800 miles on it. Just today, I turned 36K miles, have had no issues at all with it yet. (keeping fingers crossed)

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Mag4u

Nutin wrong wit mine.. Im gettin ready to put another set of 22"s, Rich Evans custom set. Have Hoyo H3s on there now and had a pair of Boss 304s, all with no problems- But to each his own- Shoutout to the Mag owners..... Evil Herse!

Quick Reply: Dodge Magnum reliability