Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

zoomers exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:01 PM
65standard
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zoomers exhaust sound

is it just me, or do zoomers sound like a motorcycle?
i can eliminate these from my exhaust upgrade list.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
qzking
Professional
Default RE: zoomers exhaust sound

ORIGINAL: 65standard

is it just me, or do zoomers sound like a motorcycle?
i can eliminate these from my exhaust upgrade list.
I couldn't find the link to that on their web site. I thought the site was terrible compared to Magnaflow and others. Drop me a link to the .wav files or page if you would @ kking3@socal.rr.com .
Thanks,
KK

Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
65standard
All Star

i know some people love the zoomers, it's just not the sound i am looking for.
i am looking for something with a pure muscle sound. big and throaty. i just don't
know what exhaust has that sound.

link----> http://www.ixaru.com/zoomers/kidcoastal.htm

Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
qzking
Professional

Here is the Magnaflo demo page. http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04american.asp I think this sounds better than the zoomers. Really hard to tell from these files though.
KK

PS: Thanks for the e-mail!

Old 06-03-2005, 01:36 AM
LegMaker72

Personally I really like the sound of the zoomers...and I've never really looked at them before. I'll have to think about those now.
Are there any other links to other brands of exhaust files?
CMH

Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

I sure wouldn't call it a motorcycle sound. Not unless the motorcycle is a Dodge Tomahawk. I've got a set on and Its essentially the third iteration of exhaust I had on my Magnum. I wrote up what I did, step by step, here:

http://foohbar.com/exhaust_wars.cfm

although its all pretty much still a draft.

If you want deep and burbly, go with Super 40's and leave on the stock reso's. However this will not be the best for performance and the sound at idle is relatively tame. Or not depending on your preference. I went with bot Flow 40's and IMCO Pro's and preferred the IMCO's, but still wanted more. The Super 40's might be just enough but they won't cure the fact that you have two 12-15-lb-each restrictive resonators on the system.

If you want to get serious, put on just an IMCO Pro on each side. These are essentially a Flow 40, but with a bit deeper tone and better, more solidly made. They also drone less. Then go straight pipe out the back, cutting off the reso's. Watch your backpressure. What I did (see that article) wound up being perfect. The sound you are looking for is this config. Its perfectly 60's/'70's muscle and turns heads at every parking lot you shamble through. You may be able to live with the drone... as thats the price you pay for that wall of sound. I wasn't and went for the Zoomers after hearing them and looking at the performance side.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
illy
Professional

How are you determining how much back pressure is needed and whether you have enough or not? Seems to me just "randomly" necking down your exhaust or using non mandrel bends doesn't really generate a formula for success that others can duplicate. I wish I could hear those Imco's with no resonators. I am probably missing a sound clip somewhere.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

ORIGINAL: illy
How are you determining how much back pressure is needed and whether you have enough or not? Seems to me just "randomly" necking down your exhaust or using non mandrel bends doesn't really generate a formula for success that others can duplicate.
No this wasn't science in the lab :-) What was done was based on reports of other Magnum owners who had gone straight pipe out the back. What I've seen reported -- and this is entirely anecdotal based on reading forums since last November, so take it for what its worth -- is that people don't report problems with times going down unless they also go to bigger pipe. I remember one guy in particular who went 2 1/2" and wound up having to insert a narrow section to scavenge backpressure.

My thinking was "lets play it safe" as the IMCO's were already great on flow-thru and I just removed a whole lot more restriction by yanking the reso's, which have a neck-down inside of them as well (at the very front IIRC).

I don't have a sound clip of the IMCO's, but the IMCO site itself has a great clip of a 5.7 HEMI truck that I would add a little beef to and call it the Magnum sound. htp://grabthepower.com. For a better, less marketing-hyped look at who IMCO is google them and get their corporate site.

What the muffler guys told me was that IMCO basically put out a Flowmaster copy that doesn't drone as much, is better made and doesn't have near the rust issues. Both mufflers were exactly the same price ($90) at the shop.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
illy
Professional

Thanks Matt,

I will go check out a sound clip or two. Your site is very helpful by the way. I sat and read that for the greater part of the morning! Shhh don't tell the boss!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
qzking
Professional

Matt,
Went to the link (thanks) and there are two clips. The first one titled 5.7 sounded great but the other clip sounded much more like the clip on the Zoomer site. I assume you are referring to the first clip.

Sorry for being such a nerd but I'm getting a little confused. You we're talking about how great the Zoomer system was and then referred to IMCO's site. Can you put this in layman's (see idiot's) terms. Are you combining two mfg's stuff?

Finally, are you coming down to the Hunt. Bch. meet & greet on the 11th? I know it's a long way but we could probably all kick in for the fuel and I'll put you up at my house for a night too. Would love to see/hear your ride and meet you as I'm sure others would.

Thanks for all the great info!
KK

ORIGINAL: MattRobertson

ORIGINAL: illy
How are you determining how much back pressure is needed and whether you have enough or not? Seems to me just "randomly" necking down your exhaust or using non mandrel bends doesn't really generate a formula for success that others can duplicate.
No this wasn't science in the lab :-) What was done was based on reports of other Magnum owners who had gone straight pipe out the back. What I've seen reported -- and this is entirely anecdotal based on reading forums since last November, so take it for what its worth -- is that people don't report problems with times going down unless they also go to bigger pipe. I remember one guy in particular who went 2 1/2" and wound up having to insert a narrow section to scavenge backpressure.

My thinking was "lets play it safe" as the IMCO's were already great on flow-thru and I just removed a whole lot more restriction by yanking the reso's, which have a neck-down inside of them as well (at the very front IIRC).

I don't have a sound clip of the IMCO's, but the IMCO site itself has a great clip of a 5.7 HEMI truck that I would add a little beef to and call it the Magnum sound. htp://grabthepower.com. For a better, less marketing-hyped look at who IMCO is google them and get their corporate site.

What the muffler guys told me was that IMCO basically put out a Flowmaster copy that doesn't drone as much, is better made and doesn't have near the rust issues. Both mufflers were exactly the same price ($90) at the shop.

Quick Reply: zoomers exhaust sound