Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

WOT shift a neon??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 AM
morningpride
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT shift a neon??

Ok,

I am thinking about taking my little rocket to the local dragway and making my "maiden run"......

My question is, I know you can WOT shift an SRT, but what about a little neon?

Would it make a diffrence in your time???

I am new at the whole racing thing, so someone help me out.......

j

Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: WOT shift a neon??

Yeah it will make a difference in your time. The faster you shift gears the less time you waste not accelerating. Basically the idea is to keep the gas pegged to the floor and shift. I haven't quite perfected it yet...but I'm really quick at running through the gears.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:04 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The synchros don't like meshing up that way (sorta like downshifting), and it's a heck of a shock to the tranny. Yes, it can certainly be done on "the little Neon"...

I get better times doing normal shifts, just fast. The RPM's don't drop very fast with the stock flywheel on there, so you stand a good chance of matching rpm's better. When doing WOT shifting (aka power shifting), the 1st to 2nd shift was a real bear, killed my 60 ft times, which hurt even more at the end. 2nd to 3rd wasn't as bad, but still sometimes hard to find. Losing a fraction of a second due to shifting technique might suck a little. Pulling a tranny bites.

The clutch disengages pretty early - mine is fully disengaged with maybe an inch of pedal travel. So I can start (gently) pulling out of gear while the clutch is on it's way in, have it in the next gear before it's halfway to the floor, then slide my foot off and let that sucker grab.

If it's your first time to the track, don't concentrate so much on ET's or MPH, or what they guy in the other lane did. Work on getting going with little to no wheel spin and getting your 60 foot times as low as possible. And have fun!

Best of luck!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
morningpride
Veteran

Thanks guys!!!

I'll post my times after this weekend!!!

Old 05-03-2005, 12:15 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

The synchros don't like meshing up that way (sorta like downshifting), and it's a heck of a shock to the tranny. Yes, it can certainly be done on "the little Neon"...

I get better times doing normal shifts, just fast. The RPM's don't drop very fast with the stock flywheel on there, so you stand a good chance of matching rpm's better. When doing WOT shifting (aka power shifting), the 1st to 2nd shift was a real bear, killed my 60 ft times, which hurt even more at the end. 2nd to 3rd wasn't as bad, but still sometimes hard to find. Losing a fraction of a second due to shifting technique might suck a little. Pulling a tranny bites.

The clutch disengages pretty early - mine is fully disengaged with maybe an inch of pedal travel. So I can start (gently) pulling out of gear while the clutch is on it's way in, have it in the next gear before it's halfway to the floor, then slide my foot off and let that sucker grab.

If it's your first time to the track, don't concentrate so much on ET's or MPH, or what they guy in the other lane did. Work on getting going with little to no wheel spin and getting your 60 foot times as low as possible. And have fun!

Best of luck!
Good call man. I would totally agree with the get your 60ft down comment. I've made probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80 passes at the dragstrip and I'm still trying to get my 60ft down. That is always the part of the race I have the most problem with...I can blaze through the gears without a problem. Good luck man.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

Second that. I learned the hard way and have been driving for over a year with no second gear synchro. Just ordered my new tranny(as I'm writing this) though so hopefully I'll be fully synchronized again by next week.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
morningpride
Veteran

Dave,

What's the fastest pass you have made in your sxt???

& do you have any mods?????

btw, whats up w/ the name change???? to many people trying to be like u???

Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

16.05 @ 87 was the fastest I've done to date (end of last year). Only mods at that point was a K&N filter, catback exhaust, and mopar STS. I've been out one time this year and the fastest I could do was a 16.2@86 but that was with my 17" rims. I'll hit high 15s, I just have to play with tire pressure, maybe run my 15s instead of 17s. I just have a huge problem getting my car off the line. Either bog it or I spin tires too much. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
morningpride
Veteran

Ahhhhhh....

The typical bog.....

My F'n car does that every once in a while and it's gonna drive me mad!!!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Nah...not the hesitation thing. I know what you're talking about. I'm talking about if I launch it low enough where I don't spin the tires then it takes forever to get moving. My car is absolutely dead under 4 grand. It wakes up right at 4 grand.

Quick Reply: WOT shift a neon??