Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

The truth about tubo timers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Bimmer/dodgeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about tubo timers

Ok, what is the scoop about turbo timers. I ordered one a few days ago so I could leave my truck withouit waiting for the turbo cools down. I went to the dealership today and they told me it's not necessary to let the turbo cool down and thinks it's a waste of money to install one. However, I don't want to ruin the turbo either and the owners manual even states to let it cool down. So, what is the scoop? Should I install one anyway? Thanks for you inputs. By the way I have a 07 3500 if that matters.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: The truth about tubo timers

Absolutely install one.

Think of it like this........what temp does the oil that you are currently using cook at? Probably somewhere in the 400* range.

Now, what kind of temps does your exhaust gases get to. Well, if you don't have an EGT probe, here's a few number for you from my truck.

Cruising, highway speed, level ground: 550 - 650*
Cruising, highway speed, uphill, 6% grade for 4.5 miles, unloaded: 751*
Accelerating firmly, not on the floor: 1000+ degrees.

What am I getting at? Do you see any of those temps at or below 400*? Nope!

Do you think all that heat goes out the exhaust pipe? Hell no! 30% of that heat is absorbed directly into the turbo housing.

My EGT's during normal driving take about 30 secs to 1 min to get below 300*. That's the temp I'm comfortable shutting the truck down at.

Coming off the highway or harder driving, it can take 2 mins.

Now towing a load, high speeds, steep grades, etc., can raise your turbo temps even higher.

Morale of the story........a turbo timer is cheap insurance for an expensive part on your truck. Yeah, it's an emission part is covered for 100K miles, but that does you no good with a 5'ver behind you on the family vacation.

Get the timer, you 'll like it. Besides it a great conversation piece when your truck shuts down and people stare at it like it's friggin magic.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wont hurt it. . .if you pull trailers, especialy loaded heavy it is good to let the engine run for a bit to allow the turbo to cool. . .however unloaded there realy is not much of a need to let the engine run. I personaly just watch my EGT gage. when it hits 300 or lower I shut off. now I can sit and watch the temps climb from residual heat being radiated into the exhaust manifold, however the temp does not get hot enough for it to become a problem.

put it on. . .there is not a single problem with allowing the engine to idle for a few seconds while the turbo cools down.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Bimmer/dodgeman

I went to the dealership today and they told me it's not necessary to let the turbo cool down and thinks it's a waste of money to install one.

owners manual even states to let it cool down.
That guy is a TOOL !!!

Follow both your gut, and also what the effing MANUAL says to do !! Install the timer KNOWING that you're not wasting a cent.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:43 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

That guy is a TOOL !!!

Follow both your gut, and also what the effing MANUAL says to do !! Install the timer KNOWING that you're not wasting a cent.
Sore spot?

Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

I personaly just watch my EGT gage. when it hits 300 or lower I shut off.
I thought you had your sensor installed before the turbo.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Bimmer/dodgeman

I went to the dealership today and they told me it's not necessary to let the turbo cool down and thinks it's a waste of money to install one.

owners manual even states to let it cool down.
That guy is a TOOL !!!

I agree with Mayfair, when I get the money for one I will be purchasing it. Currently I let the truck run for a couple minutes before getting out. If I run in somewhere like a convinient store, I will place my club on, lock the doors and leave it running. Gas stations with pay at the pump, I do not even turn my truck off. I got to the point where I sort of idle the last couple blocks before my house to let it coola little bit. When I get my guages I will be better off but until then I go off of gut.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

That guy is a TOOL !!!

Sore spot?

LOL .... naah, I just hate guy's who try to knock someoneprobably because the guy didn't feel like installing it in the first place. More than likely if I would have had the conversation with this guy more than just the exhaust would have heated up.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Bimmer/dodgeman

Thanks everyone, I should have known about listening to the dealership. Turbo timer is on it's way and will be installing it. Have to find a good shop to put it on thou. After what the dealership person stated I don't want them to touch my truck. Anyone know of one near Albany Oregon?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Drew

I personaly just watch my EGT gage. when it hits 300 or lower I shut off.
I thought you had your sensor installed before the turbo.
yup. . .after the turbo the temps wold be a bit lower, maybe 75-125F lower.

Quick Reply: The truth about tubo timers