Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anyone heard of a Hi/Lo tranny for a Dodge CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 05:57 PM
swilsone
Default Anyone heard of a Hi/Lo tranny for a Dodge CTD?

I was cruizin around EBay a while back and saw a Dodge CTD and the guy had a manual tranny with a Hi/Lo splitter style setup. Not sure if it was air actuated...I would imagine it was...the description didn't say much about the tranny and I can't findthe adotherwise I'd link to it. Anyone ever heard of this setup? The splitter could have been in the rear axle, I guess...

Old 07-09-2007 | 07:51 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Anyone heard of a Hi/Lo tranny for a Dodge CTD?

Probably just a gearvendors overdrive stuck on the back of the trans.

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:25 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Two splitters out there Gear Vendors, and US Gear. I believe both are operated by electric, and cost dearly......

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:42 PM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

Two splitters out there Gear Vendors, and US Gear. I believe both are operated by electric, and cost dearly......
So it would have probably been a good buy if someone wanted that option.

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:52 PM
kg1687
Veteran

They have something similar to like the browning which goes in bigger trucks, It's kind of like your transfer case 4 Lo and 4 Hi, Depending on which one you get you can have em mounted in various areas on your drivetrain, Some are electric, some pneumatic, and some are manual, very simple, just changes gearing, I'm thinking about putting one on my cummins so I can run higher speeds. Some are used to gear down your truck, I've seen them have half gears and such, to help with towing. I want mine to gear up so I can run with lower rpms in higher speeds like 85 running around 2200 sounds good. Then gear it back down when hauling.

Old 07-10-2007 | 02:32 PM
swilsone

Cool...thanks for the info guys!

Old 07-10-2007 | 05:58 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kg1687

They have something similar to like the browning which goes in bigger trucks, It's kind of like your transfer case 4 Lo and 4 Hi, Depending on which one you get you can have em mounted in various areas on your drivetrain, Some are electric, some pneumatic, and some are manual, very simple, just changes gearing, I'm thinking about putting one on my cummins so I can run higher speeds. Some are used to gear down your truck, I've seen them have half gears and such, to help with towing. I want mine to gear up so I can run with lower rpms in higher speeds like 85 running around 2200 sounds good. Then gear it back down when hauling.
I went looking for the Browning, but could not find it on line. Do you have info on where to find it?

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:46 PM
steelhauler

I have a gear vendor over drive behind my 6 spd. it is activated by a small electric switch mounted on shift tower. it cost around 3500 installed. it will not help your milage as much as you may hope.it is very handy when pulling a heavy load to be able to split down from 6th to 5 od etc. us gear also makes these in either over or under drive, if you get a good buy on one plan on building a new fuel tank as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of a Hi/Lo tranny for a Dodge CTD?