Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

B20 or ULTRA LOW??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 or ULTRA LOW??

The station I have right next to my house has either B20 or Ultra Low diesel fuel. (of course because I live in the huge hippie town of Asheville). What I am wondering, is which one is best for my truck as far a lubricating it and getting better fuel milage?

any info is awesome!

thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
cujo
Captain
Default RE: B20 or ULTRA LOW??

B20 will provide better lubrication than ULSD, but be aware that B20 is also a very good solvent. It will clean out some of the built up gunk in the fuel system. If you start using it you'll probably want to change the fuel filter soon after.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

i got the FASS...so pretty much you reconmend it ALOT over ultra low? and if i dont use it all the time but most of the time will it hurt anything? and will it still be as strong running the edge and everything? i think i am going to start running it....

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
cujo
Captain

I wouldn't think it would matter if you went back and forth between B20 and ULSD. You shouldn't have to add any 2-stroke oil if you run B20, it should provide enough lubracation. I don't have any stations in my immediate area that carry it, I've used B5 on a few occations and had no problems . Hopefully CowboyBob will chime in, he's been running B20 for awhile now.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

Irun B5.. wishI had a place close by to get B20.. ..run it!!.. you might notice your engine running a little quieter unless you already run drew's brew or any other lubricant additives.. it's better than straight ULSD.. but like cujo said.. might have to change your filter if you have much gunk in the tank.. but I've never read of anyone actually having a problem with that... you would think that with the downward trend in ethanol.. biodiesel blends would be cheaper than straight diesel.. but I haven't seen that here with either B5 or 10% gasahol

Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

Here in San Antonio we have a place that makes bio-diesel andtoday they are selling itfor $2.75/gallon. http://www.alamobiodiesel.com/They will let you splash blend or add however much bio-diesel you need to your tank to achieve whatever percentage of bio-diesel you want.

ULSD is hovering around $2.90-$3.05 this week.

We have 4 stations that I know of that sell B20, I don't know of any that sell B5.Mymileage took a dive to about 12 when I was getting about 16-17 (as calculated by overhead); I changed out the fuel filter and it's been fine since. I don't know if that was attributed to using some blend of Bio-diesel or not or if it was just time to change filters. ... I switch back and forth between using some bio-diesel and ULSD.

My driving style and pattern is so varied its hard to put my finger on what my real mileage is.I do notice that the exhaust smells different with just a minimal blend of bio-diesel.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
soniclm
Professional

solarwrap, I used to trade used vega oil I get here in Junction for biodiesel at Alamo Biodiesel, I run B100 in my truck most of the time and I've no problems at all and where in San Antonio do they sell B20 cause I havent found a place

Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

In San Antonio you can buy B20 biodiesel at the following station locations:
Shell
4415 West Ave.,
Pentro Pantry
12434 Nacogdoches Road,
1530 W. Loop 1604
11102 W. Loop 1604

Alamo Biodiesel to buy B100; juct recently moved to:
519 Seguin St. (By Ft Sam)

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
soniclm
Professional

I was the one who supplied them with there oil so they could make there first batch of Biodiesel after they moved but I got someone whos moving locally to make it so its saving me some driving now.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: soniclm

I was the one who supplied them with there oil so they could make there first batch of Biodiesel after they moved but I got someone whos moving locally to make it so its saving me some driving now.
Cool! I thought that they used cottonseed oil though.

Anyway, what do you notice when you have to go from B100 to ULSD? Engine noise? Mileage? Smell?

Also here is a link to find biodiesel nationwide...
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuel...locations.html

Quick Reply: B20 or ULTRA LOW??