Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trying to help fellow drivers out ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007 | 01:48 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default Trying to help fellow drivers out ...

Some of you might think this is stupid, some maybe not

I driver around a lot, and every day I see about at least 5 cars or trucks with one or more brake lights that don't work. I try and let people know if i can, but I can't always do so. I feel really bad because I don't want to see anyone get rear ended simply because their brake lights don't work. Unfortunately if someone doesn't tell them, they won't know.

I just sent a letter to Penn Dot asking them if I sent them some tag numbers if they can help me / the driversout by sending them a friendly letter simply letting them know to have their brake lights fixed.

Good idea or bad ??

Any other suggestions for a way to let these poor drivers know?

Old 12-13-2007 | 01:52 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Trying to help fellow drivers out ...

through a brick through the back window with a friendly little note saying.... "excuse me sir but you have a brake light out" oh and "PS your rear windshield has a slight crack from this message"

Old 12-13-2007 | 01:59 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Speaking of bricks ....

The more and more that I look at your truck I'm wondering - Where EXACTLY do you live again?

I'm thinking about stacking some bricks under your axles and letting the air out of your tires and stealing them. They look really nice, and I think I want to steal them!!

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:00 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

dang city folk... i live 123 fake st.

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:03 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

That's nice of you to do. I also think that will be alot of letters. Becouse i see
alot of that in Boynton Beach FL. Also.

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:13 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

I can see it now....you send an email w/ a list of plate numbers....next thing some poor smuck gets a ticket in the mail for defective equipment or something

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:15 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I seen a guy a few weeks back after dark on a Harley with no tail light, he acted supprised, but man when it's your life, how long does it take to look back on a bike to check your light.

How about the people running around with five pounds in their tire and don't notice what's going on, I don't know if there is help for them.

I know I end up pulling up to store fronts and check my lights in the refletion and try to check the back the same way, buts then it's easy to hit the flashers and parking lights and walk around to check

Use to be around here police would stop you for a light out and if you were pulling a trailer everything had to be working, now days I drug my trailer home without a light working at all after dark and had them pass me, then one got behind me as he was going home my way and stayed with me most of the way home.

But give it a try

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:24 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

That Harley thing kinda hit home a bit.

For whatever reason, my year scoot blows tailights all of the time. I ride with a spare in my bag at all times as well as a screwdriver. It's not uncommon for it to work when you left, but then from the vibration to pull the element apart. I've tried the heavy duty / multiple element bulbs to no avail. I bet I replaced about 3 last year alone.

Frog, I'm REALLY hoping that the po-po doesn't ticket these poor people. That's not my angle at all. I even mentioned in my email that this was more of a Good Samaritan humanitarian effort, not an opportunity to stick it to someone. Hopefully my email will go to SOMEONE with a heart !!!

Anyone else you can think of that i can send an email to who might be able to help?

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:54 PM
bert0168
Professional

Sounds like a good idea but I guarantee that Penn Dot is gonna say they have neither the manpower or funding to do it thank you very much.

I think it's a matter of common sense to check your vehicle periodically to make sure it's in proper working order (isn't that the law too?).

Problem is MOST of the people driving are lacking in the common sense dept. For example..

[ul][*]"I know its foggy out but I can see MY dashboard. Why would I need to turn my lights on?"[*]"It's still light out and I can still see thru the wiper streaks. I don't need my headlights in the rain."[*]"What sunglare? Sun is atMY back screw those southbound vehicles"[*]"Nah it's too tough to get the snow and ice off the top of my car. Let it blow off"[/ul]

Old 12-13-2007 | 03:58 PM
UpBranchLiner

I'd just leave it alone Mayfair. Your doing the better then most people by telling me when you can.

No working trailer lights is a pet peeve of mine. The first thing I do after I hook up is check lights/brake lights. Yeah it takes some effort to keep ALL the lights working but come on. The last thing I would want to happen is someone rear end my horse trailer and injure my horses. Just my opinion though.

Not to jack your thread Mayfair.

Has anyone noticed on 1/2ton Chevys 2000 and newer, that they almost always have a daytime running light out? Keep it in mind, you'll see what I mean. Its crazy.

Quick Reply: Trying to help fellow drivers out ...