Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesels and cold weather???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
5deano6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesels and cold weather???

I would like to get folks opinions/experiences with the following questions reguarding diesels and cold weather:
Is running blended fuel in the winter good enough or do you also need to put in a fuel additive to keep from having problems with gelling?
Below what temperatures do you worry about it?
What additives do you use?
Is the block heater just so it warms up quicker or is it needed to start the truck at certain temps?
What if you are somewhere overnight where you can't plug in, do you worry about it starting or take any precautions so it will? Again, what temps would cause problems?
What do you do if you do have a problem starting or running rightbecause of the cold?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Diesels and cold weather???

A lot of those question (plus a bunch more) are in these threads....happing reading

winter ???'s for the FAQ maybeSpecificly:

Blended fuel? You mean blended w/ bio or #2 winter? If running Bio I wouldn't go over B20 if it is under 50ish.

Additives -- lots of PS users here...their 911 is good if you do gel up.

Block Heater -- the grid heater is good to (ohh I think) -20F to start the truck. It will start when it is dang cold outside....just wont be happy about it...and don't expect to warm the cab any time soon

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM
UpBranchLiner

Run the white bottle of Power Service and you wont have gel problems. The truck will start with out being plugged in but it doesnt like it. Just let it idle for 5 minutes before blasting off more than 5 is a waste of fuel. These trucks without a winter front will not warm up just idling(well mine doesnt). Dont leave your truck plugged in all the time, your power bill will be huge. Use a timer, run the timer 2 hours before you want to leave. I left my truck outside in -5F with a 30mph wind and it fired right up.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Watermelon
Captain

It all depends on what kind of temps you are having. Here in upstate SC we do not get that cold so I have never used any anti gel. That cummins otta bust off all the way down to 0 without plugging it in. We did get down to 9 a few days ago and my 04 started right up without being plugged. The owners manual should give you the info you need. Just make sure you buy fuel that already has anti gel added. Most truck stops have it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

My trucks starts fine down to 0 never had it anywhere colder than that though....I have the High Idler activatated helps quite a bit to warm it up ....

Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
stewtina
Veteran

-10 started just fine at 9000 ft. not plugged in and no additives

Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
amock
Professional

5dean06

I run Howes fuel additive, same damn thing as power service. I also run Drew's Brew. Im a firefighter here in Missouri, so winters nights can get pretty cold. My truck sat for three days without being plugged in in single degree temps and fired up fine. These trucks will fire in cold weather just fine, plugging it in just keeps that block a lot warmer which in return, warms up your truck up faster. But these guys are right, my truck takes for ever to warm up unless you get out on the highway.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Mine sat at the airport for 2 weeks and the temps were between 38 above and at least -5 below zero. If you add in the high 40+ MPH wind, the wind chill factor was at least -30 below if not colder. Anyway the engine started with out any problems and I only cycled the grid heater one time. Even though we have good winter fuel here in north IA I did add 10 oz of PS anti gel just to make sure it took care of any water that may have been in my tank during the 2-hour drive to the airport.

As for using the block heater I have mine on a timer so that it comes on 2 hours before I drive it. I only use it so that it warms up faster but its not required until you get down to the -10 degree range with 15w40-non synthetic oil. If you live in the north where it gets cold in Oct and last until March then you may want to invest in a good winter front like the one Dodge makes. A good winter front will help warm up the engine 3 times faster then with out one as a warm engine gets better fuel mileage then a cold one.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
old_cummins

My 96' 2500 started just fine at 12 below the other morning. I am just runnning whatever winter formulation that is being sold where I buy fuel.

Quick Reply: Diesels and cold weather???