Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 12:34 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...

I had the Ram plugged in for 3 hours before I leave. It's the coldest it's been here since I installed my FASS ( 17 degrees and VERY windy ). I have 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and I'm still adding 1oz of two stroke per gallon of fuel.

This morning, I unplug my Ram, get inside and try to fire it up. It starts to turn over, and then dies. Hmmm ... this is the first time I've ever had to re-start my truck. Next time I try to fire it up, it just cranks and cranks and cranks with nothing. I decide to try and hold the pedal to the floor while cranking and it FINALLY fires up. Scared the CRAP outta me !!

But here's what REALLY bothered me ...

Aside from the truck not fireing up right away, I noticed that my FASS kept running after I turned the key off. Even after I took the key OUT the FASS was still running. I though I was going to have to do some sort of battery disconnect or something to make it stop.

Why do you think it was so hard to start, and why do you think the FASS kept running even with the key out?

Old 02-11-2008 | 01:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...

sounds like you had a relay stick from the cold temps.

asside from that I wouldnt be surprised if your fuel started hitting the cloud point, but did not gell. but was thick enough that the VP44 and your fass couldnt push fuel properly.

I'd say no dammage done.

Old 02-11-2008 | 02:30 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Should I add something to the fuel to prevent this from happening again? That scared the crap outta me !!

Old 02-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
chouseal
Veteran

Couldn't hurt to add some PSD (white bottle) or Howes. Cheap insurance.

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:37 PM
justviper1
Veteran

thats funny because it was around 0 degress here in beaver, pa and i didn't plug my truck in at all and after setting all night it still fired right up! it didn't even hesitate. It started as if it was 60 degrees out! when i went to start it i did hold the pedal down about a 1/4 of the way if that helped at all? i was worried too because i bypassed my fuel heater when i put in the new airdog. hope you get it fixed and working well again!

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:42 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Well, I finally did get it running and it ran fine comming into work.I hope it was a one time thing. We'll see tonight when I leave.

Old 02-11-2008 | 06:27 PM
finny
All Star

i dunno if this helps but you sayed you how your fass ran after you tryed to start? i think that is because when you bump the starter but the truck doesnt start the lift pump works for like 20-25 seconds

Old 02-11-2008 | 08:52 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

Around Georgia, if its too cold for a Cummins to start, we get a day off....LOL Sorry but I figured it would sound like something Mayfair would say....

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:30 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:33 PM
Welder597
Rookie

Did fire up alright going home

Quick Reply: Ram wouldn't fire up this morning ...