Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Lift installed and I am Pissed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lift installed and I am Pissed!!!

Well I picked up the truck from the shop tonight. I went across town to pick up the wheels and sat in a lot of traffic. The shop closed at 6:00 but they stayed a waited for us till 6:30 so we could get the truck, nice of them I thought.[/align]Well it's a good 15 miles back to the house so I got to listen to the truck real good to see how it drives. I didn't make it one mile then I finally got past 20 mph, that's when the loud humming started. At 60mph it is twice as loud inside the cab than it use to be. It is so bad that the harmonics oscillate back and forth like when there is another truck beside you with a loud exhaust (did that make sense?). [/align]OK so I get her home and start checking out the install real good. The first thing I notice is there is only about 2.5" of travel before the new compression stops hit the front axle????? WTF.[/align]Then I look at the upper and lower control arms. These have grease zirks on each end, but upon further examination I see that they are installed backwards where it is imposable to get to the zirks. All four of them are on the wrong side of the truck. At this point my blood is starting to boil, I shelled out $850 labor to have a PROFESSIONAL install this kit!![/align]I move along and try to locate what might be causing the loud vibration humming. I examine the front drive shaft and where it meets the yoke on the axle it is at least at a 5 degree angle. From what I was told and per the installation instructions, it should be at no more than 1 to 2 degrees. Any more than that and an indexing ring will be needed. I am wondering why it is at such an big angle and I noticed that the eccentric cam bolts are located in the same position that I scribed them yesterday, meaning they didn't even try to correct the drive shaft angle.[/align]So this could be part of the problem. I move along and I see something that really pissed me off. This kit is supplied with a transmission drop bracket, it is nowhere to be found because they did not install it. I don't know how much the rear drive shaft is suppose to be pulled out of the tranny after installing a six inch lift but it is pulled out at least 2" now.[/align]On to the back axle now. Oh, what is this I see?? There is another bracket that is missing, they chose not to install the E-brake relocation bracket. And finally, the 4 new U bolts for the rear axle are at least an inch spread apart at the bottom at the "U" than they are at the top. Meaning that over time they will become loose while shifting to the correct position, and it looks like $hit.[/align][/align]So my truck is sitting out in the driveway right now. I am calling the shop in the morning and they better damn well send a wrecker to come get it and fix it. I don't think it will drive back there without spitting up a U-joint or worse.[/align][/align][sm=rant.gif][/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran
Default RE: New Lift installed and I am Pissed!!!

Ouch....that sucks. I can't believe a shop would cut that many corners and install so many things wrong or not at all.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Redram05baby

Damn, Thats Why I Stopped Trusting Anyone With My Stuff.

Did They Do An Alignment on Your Truck Also? With The Front Axle There Is Only So Much of A Degree You Can Put on It For the DSA.

Not Sure What Your Mean by 2 Inches? The Yoke Is Exposed? If Thats So It Really Depends On The Size of The Yoke and WhatSuspension Travel Is.

Mostly When You Have an Under Vehicle Humming (In My Experience) It Ends Up Being The Driveshaft, Most Likely The U Joints - Could Be From The Added Angle. If It's Not From Your Tires.

Sorry To Hear Man, Know You Where Excited. Any Pics Yet?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 PM
sanddragonslayer
Rookie

Is your rear shaft two piece? does it have a carrier bearing??

Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Definatly not the tires, I still have the Stockers on there. I got home to find I have the wrong lug nuts, I need gorilla locks all around for the skinny damn holes.
And no, I have a one piece drive shaft, no carrier bearing.

This is what is in the Superlift install manual....................

"
28) ALIGNMENT AND FRONT DRIVESHAFT ANGLE…
NOTE:
The vehicle must be aligned by a certified alignment professional. If the lower link
arm cam bolts were installed in exactly the same position they were removed (reference step
10), then caster and camber are close enough to drive the vehicle safely and slowly to an
alignment facility after performing the steps below regarding driveshaft angle.
􀂉
With the vehicle on the ground and the suspension supporting vehicle weight, observe the
angle of the front driveshaft in relation to the front axle pinion. The pinion needs to be close
to parallel to the driveshaft (no more than a 1 to 2 degree angle present) or there will be a
possibility of driveline vibration. Loosen the cam bolts on the lower link arms and rotate
them until the pinion is 1 to 2 degrees down from parallel with the front driveshaft. Tighten
the cam bolts (160).
􀂉
Drive the vehicle safely and slowly to an alignment facility. Have the vehicle professionally
aligned to factory specifications with the exception of caster, which should be set to:
Caster: 4.0° +/-0.5
IMPORTANT:
Raising the pinion to match driveshaft angle will decrease caster. There
must be at least 3.5 degrees of positive caster present after the correction of the driveshaft
angle. If there is not enough caster present after aligning the pinion with the driveshaft,
rotate the pinion downward until the minimum caster specification is achieved.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

dude sorry to hear that your lift didn't go on as planned. I did my superlift in the driveway, and before I relocated the e brake cable every time the rear would be let down the e brake would engage. This step has to be done if you want to be able to maintain your fuel economy, and your rear discs, the e brake shoes are in side of the disc. I also did not put in the tranny drop bracket because the angles were not that severe, but I always intended on it. I fortunately did not get the whining or the humming that you described.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Damn dude that SUCKS !!!

S**T like that would make me want to park the truck in their front window. [:@]

Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

Man Buzzy thats a load of BS member you said you weren't gonna mess with it cause it was crappy weather outside....Personally I feel you should have sat in the rain for 3 days freezin your !@# off, you'd pry be less Pi$$ed and at least know it was done right! yeah so I'm gonna wait on the lift till summer at least...let us know how this war turns out with these so called Professionals!!! [:@]

Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
QUACKSTACKER
Professional

sorry to hear about the problems. sounds like some of the same stuff that a bunch of my buddies have gone through.

did 4wheel parts do the install?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Scott91370
Professional

ORIGINAL: BrianSudokhoi02

Ouch....that sucks. I can't believe a shop would cut that many corners and install so many things wrong or not at all.
[align=left][/align]
I can. I hate taking anything to a shop. My wife takes her truck for oil changes, which is probably the most simple thing to do, but I don't even trust a shop for that. I have heard of several instances where one person fills it up then another comes along and does the same. Or one thought the other filled it up and there is no oil.

Hope they correct eveything. That does suck to pay any amount, much less what I consider a ton of money, and the job isn't done correctly. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: New Lift installed and I am Pissed!!!