Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Passing Inspection ?, Without DPF. BIO D ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
ngr2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Inspection ?, Without DPF. BIO D ?s

Situation:

I currently drive a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi

I want to eventually trade it in for a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel.

Concerns:

The word on the street is that the DPF on these trucks kill gas mileage and performance, and eventually break all together causing error codes etc.

What Im wondering is this. #1 If I were to remove the DPF completely and install a full exhaust system what are my ramifications. My number one concern is passing inspection. Im assuming without the DPF the truck will fail inspection. However what if I were to go to inspection with no DPF running BioDiesel B100. Wouldnt that fuel produce a lot less toxins and possible pass inspection without any DPF in place? Also will i lose my warrenty for this, or have any negative legal side affects.

2nd. I was thinking about converting my next diesel truck to vegtable oil, but after some reading it seems like the chance of wrecking a new truck is just to great and not worth it. So instead of converting my truck Id rather spend the money on a decent Biodiesel setup. So is anyone here running B99 or B100 in their 6.7 Dodge ram deisel without any problems, is this a smarter choice then messing around with pure WVO.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Where do you live?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
ngr2000

NJ, We hate you too.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Unless Dodge/Cummins have changed policy recently, you void your warranty by using fuel that is more than 5% biodiesel (B5), so forget about running B100 or WVO. If you want to go that route, buy an old Ram that is no longer under warranty so you can do anything.

Does New Jersey do emissions testing on light duty diesels?

Originally Posted by ngr2000
The word on the street is that the DPF on these trucks kill gas mileage and performance, and eventually break all together causing error codes etc.
Instead of listening to "the word on the street," perhaps you should just check out the various online forums (like this one) where you will find discussions among guys who actually own a Dodge Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. The search feature is your friend. Many of the guys with opinions on the 6.7L don't actually own one, so unless they're Dodge mechanics, I wouldn't put much stock in the "word on the street."

I've had a 6.7L since May 2007, which is probably longer than anybody else here. It's possible the DPF hurts fuel economy and performance a little, but it actually performs quite well. It's a very powerful engine. I average about 16 MPG. I have not heard of anybody with a 6.7L who said it would "break all together causing error codes, etc."

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
Unless Dodge/Cummins have changed policy recently, you void your warranty by using fuel that is more than 5% biodiesel (B5), so forget about running B100 or WVO.

Instead of listening to "the word on the street," perhaps you should just check out the various online forums (like this one) where you will find discussions among guys who actually own a Dodge Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. The search feature is your friend. Many of the guys with opinions on the 6.7L don't actually own one, so unless they're Dodge mechanics, I wouldn't put much stock in the "word on the street."

I've had a 6.7L since May 2007, which is probably longer than anybody else here. It's possible the DPF hurts fuel economy and performance a little, but it actually performs quite well. It's a very powerful engine. I average about 16 MPG. I have not heard of anybody with a 6.7L who said it would "break all together causing error codes, etc."
Good advice.

Running anything but ultra low sulfer diesel can cause you warranty problems..Taking off the DPF will allow the dealer to void the warranty.

Quote from warranty manual that came with your truck...
3.3 Maintenance Costs Not Covered
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s Manual.

3.6 Other Exclusions
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:
• fire or accident;
• abuse or negligence;
• misuse — for example, driving over curbs or
overloading;
• tampering with the emission systems, or with
a part that could affect the emission systems;
• use of used parts, even if they were originally
supplied by DaimlerChrysler (however, authorized
DaimlerChrysler / MOPAR remanufactured parts
are covered);
• windshield or rear window damage from external
objects;• any changes made to your truck that don’t
comply with DaimlerChrysler ; or
• using any fluid that doesn't meet the minimum
recommendations in your Owner's Manual.

C. Tampering with Noise Control System Prohibited
Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof:
• the removal or rendering inoperative by any person, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement, of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use; or
• the use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.
Among those acts presumed to constitute tampering are the acts listed below:
AIR CLEANER
• removal of the air cleaner;
• removal of the air cleaner filter element from the air cleaner housing; or
• removal of the air ducting.
EXHAUST SYSTEM
• removal or rendering inoperative exhaust system
components including the muffler or tailpipe.
ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
• removal or rendering inoperative the fan clutch; or
• removal of the fan shroud.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Dang. How come it couldnt be an easy state?? Haha. Ok. I dont know what Jerseys inspection consists of. I know in Texas they do a safety inspection only on 3/4-1 ton trucks. The lack of a muffler shouldnt (SHOULDNT) affect the inspection there, and if it did, theres other inspection places. Now, does Jersey do an emissions test, safety inspection, or what? Thats the key. And do they do surprise inspections? If it was a once a year deal, you could ditch the DPF and reinstall it for inspection...

Honestly, I wouldnt be too worried about deleting the DPF. Might as well block off the EGR while your at it. Not only will your truck get considerably better mileage, it may pick up some power and will be FAR more reliable than it would stock. Is it illegal? YES! Will it void your warranty? YES! But your warranty will run out eventually. Might as well take care of the cause of the majority of warranty claims of the 6.7 now. No reason for consumers to suffer crappy mileage and filling up cause some tree huggers complain about the non-existant "problem" known as global warming

As for WVO, I wouldnt. With the high injection pressures, and the close tolerances with in the CP3, the slightest particle or contaminant will absolutely wreak havoc on your injection system (CP3 pump and injectors)

Last edited by scatpack_69; 02-01-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
ngr2000

Thanks for your response scatpack_69, its was more of what I was looking for. I really didnt care as much about my warrenty hence why I didnt list it as my main issue. So the long drawn out warrenty resposnses was not necessary but still appreciated.

Really what Im concerned about is the inspection laws here in NJ and damaging my truck with alternative fuels. I have no idea of what NJ does in regards to Truck inspection, main reason Ive never had to bring a truck to inspection before. I could give anyone the ins and outs for Motorcycle or car inspection, but not deisel trucks for the state of NJ.

I really dont care about adding horse power to my next truck, what I really do care about it making it as fuel efficient as possible. So ive been pretty much sold on not running WVO in a new 6.7 Dodge Ram, but I would still like to learn more about running B100 or B99 in a 6.7. Also I figure if B100 really does trash my fuel system enough to where my truck has problems ill just pump that garbage out and put real deisel back in and crank her over a few times. Then Ill take it back to dodge and demand they fix it.

Im with you scatpack_69, government and people are completey off base with Global Warming etc. If you even try to do the responsible thing and use clean fuel alternatives in your truck you could be looking at jail. God forbid the man doesnt get his tax money on your fuel. So legally speaking all WVO users are breaking laws depending on what state you live in etc. Ive heard they are going to amend laws to allow up to a certain ammount of personal alternative deisel fuel usage in gallons per year. So for the time being I will continue to run straight pipes on all my cars trucks and bikes.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Really what Im concerned about is the inspection laws here in NJ and damaging my truck with alternative fuels. I have no idea of what NJ does in regards to Truck inspection, main reason Ive never had to bring a truck to inspection before.
Your driving a truck now correct? What was the inspection like? What exactly did they do? It appears you wont have to do an emissions test, as thats for 18,000lbs or over:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...dingDiesel.htm

I would venture to guess that as long as you had a cat and muffler (even dummies that looked like operational ones, but were really straight-through pipe with the cat/muffler shell over it) you would probably be ok as far as a visual inspection would go. Best thing to do would be contact an inspection place and ask exactly what the inspection process for a diesel pickup involves...

As far as running 100% biodiesel, as long as its properly filtered, and the DPF was removed, you probably wouldnt have a problem. Now in the event it caused a failure inn the fuel system, running regular fuel through it and taking it to the dealership might not work. They could have the fuel tested and would likely find traces of the biodiesel and may be able to tell it was over the B20 limit or whatever Cummins has stated...

I do know many places allow for home brewing of biodiesel. It varies place to place, but I believe here its 100 gal. or so...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM
ngr2000

Thanks, but there a few things Id like to mention.

First I got my current Ram Brand new from the dealer, and in NJ all new gas cars and trucks are already inspected and valid for 4 years. So my 08 Ram doesnt have to be inspected until 2012. Again I have no idea if deisel trucks are considered different in NJ.

Second, that link you posted was interesting but it only seems to pertain to Deisel trucks that weigh 18,000 pounds or more, and im pretty sure a dodge ram 2500 weighs nothing close to that.

Im gonna call the number from that site and see what I can dig up.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Thanks, but there a few things Id like to mention.

First I got my current Ram Brand new from the dealer, and in NJ all new gas cars and trucks are already inspected and valid for 4 years. So my 08 Ram doesnt have to be inspected until 2012. Again I have no idea if deisel trucks are considered different in NJ.

Second, that link you posted was interesting but it only seems to pertain to Deisel trucks that weigh 18,000 pounds or more, and im pretty sure a dodge ram 2500 weighs nothing close to that.

Im gonna call the number from that site and see what I can dig up.

Thanks.
Ok. Gotcha on the inspection on process. I posted the link because, as I read it, they only do emissions testing on trucks weighing 18,000lbs or more. Thats what I got out of it. Maybe I misread it. Let me know what you find out after ya call.

Quick Reply: Passing Inspection ?, Without DPF. BIO D ?s