Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel delivery problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
nlhawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel delivery problem.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24 valve 5.9L Diesel.

I have been told that there is a "boost pump" between the fuel pump and the injector pump. I have looked in the service manual and haven't been able to figure out exactly what or which part this is.

When trying to start, the engine cranks, but won't start. The Fuel makes it past the fuel pump, but there's no fuel pressure at the fuel pressure test port.

Any help in identifying this part and what to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
nlhawk

Last edited by nlhawk; 03-22-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
nlhawk

---------------

Last edited by nlhawk; 03-22-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the transfer/lift pump...?

The purpose of the fuel transfer pump is to supply (transfer) a low-pressure fuel source: from the fuel tank, through the fuel filter/water separator and to the fuel injection pump. Here, the low-pressure is raised to a high-pressure by the fuel injection pump for operation of the high-pressure fuel injectors. Check valves within the pump, control direction of fuel flow and prevent fuel bleed-back during engine shut down.

Normal current flow to the pump is 12 amperes.

With the engine running, the pump has 2 modes of operation: Mode 1: 100 percent duty-cycle with a minimum pressure of 10 psi except when the engine is cranking. Mode 2: 15 percent duty-cycle with maximum pressure of 7 psi with the engine cranking

The 15 percent duty-cycle is used to limit injection pump inlet pressure until the engine is running.

The transfer pump is self-priming: When the key is first turned on (without cranking engine), the pump will operate for approximately 1/4 second and then shut off. The pump will also operate for up to 25 seconds after the starter is engaged, and then disengaged and the engine is not running. The pump shuts off immediately if the key is on and the engine stops running.

The fuel volume of the transfer pump will always provide more fuel than the fuel injection pump requires. Excess fuel is returned from the injection pump through an overflow valve. The valve is located on the side of the injection pump. It is also used to connect the fuel return line to the side of the injection pump. This valve opens at approximately 97 kPa (14 psi) and returns fuel to the fuel tank through the fuel return line.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
92oilburner
Professional

I had the same problem you are having, even after replacing the lift pump. You need to bleed the line @ the inlet to the injection pump. Once the air is out you should get pressure @ the test port. Even at this point, I had to bleed the line at a couple of the injectors, to get it to fire. Hope this helps...good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Ronny Clampitt

I have just bought a 2000 1ton Dodge.153,000 on it lift pump quit me by the house.A friend of mine comes over he knows what to look for and went over the truck.
Your lift pump is out.Some they go back with in tank system and some back on block.All the mec around me tell me all about it and its a long drawed out deal.As ususal.
Any why O'Rylies has em for 161 bucks.That is simple eneough,External lift pump.
I am not mec.eneough to change it.
But neither here or there.
I drove a 03,3/4 ton with a Cummins and had a Air Dog Fuel system on it.Has a back up fuel pump with the system.
Any one have any dealing with this.It ran like a scalded dog.
This truck I have has Edge performance box onit and a K&N air cleaner system on it also.And this is the runningest P/U I have ever been in for me.
I was wondering as I am wondering if I replace the lift pump and then put a Air Dog Fuel system on it that it would solve the problem of fuel pumps.And its under the truck where you can get to it fairly easy.Or the one I saw was.It cleans the fuel twice before it gets to the motor.Takes out all air and anything in the fuel.So you get only good clean fuel to burn.Supposed to increase milage and help with HP also.
I know the one I drove really run.

My question is has anyone else dealt with this and the Air Dog System.
They are not but around $400 or so ??
And this is my first time on one of these forums.Just found it and thought it would sure be a good place to start.
I know this is long and drawed out.Thanks for any help.Ronny

Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
nlhawk
Default This is getti ng interesting....

First I want to say: Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm really new to the world of diesel so it's slow going here at first....

I still have yet to figure exactly what the problem is, but it's looking more like the transfer pump. I got under the hood and then under the truck and traced the fuel lines. Turns out the transfer pump is no longer under the hood. The local dodge dealer parts dept told me they now put the pump inside the fuel tank (if I understood that correctly) I couldn't find it anywhere, so it's either embedding inside the frame next to the fuel tank or it is actually inside the fuel tank. I am going to get a fuel pressure test gauge this afternoon. This weekend and check that out, then I'll take the tank off if I have too. The only drawback is the tank is full of diesel....

Thanks again for the replies,
Lee

Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The only places that the lift pump will be is mounted on the side of the engine with the fuel filter canister or in the tank. They do not mount them on the frame rail in the OEM configuration.

If it's a 2001, yours is on the side of the engine, which is prone to fail due to the vibration.

If the lift pump is dead and was dead for long enough, chances are it took out your VP44 as well.

Clampitt....switching out the stock lift pump with an AirDog or FASS is a VERY smart move. You won't have issues with either.

Skip the 95 gal/hr versions and get the 150's. Anything that isn't used is simply recycled to the tank and filtered again.

My truck is fairly healthy and my 150 hasn't dropped below 10 psi. Normally it's right between 13 - 17 psi.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Ronny Clampitt

When you go to a Air Dog or Fass or anyother.Then that is the only fuel pump.?Do away compleatly with the stock pump.
Since Im not mechanical as such.I can do a lot if I can see it and have a little help.
What I thought was you had both.And if one goes then you still have a backup.
But that sounds like not the case is that right.Only have the stock one or the Air Dog or Fass or other.
It looks like the A.Dog or others would be better.You can get to them with not a lot of problems.

Bare with me when I ask questions because I do not know.And want to learn.This according to all the conversations with all the mec,around me today a long drawed out and expensive deal.
But I do have a friend in W.Falls that said he did his and it took about 3hrs in his yard.But he again is a mechanic.Has tools and knowledge.Did not think it was that big a deal.And neather did I after I visited with him.Or at least it shouldnt be.
I appriciate the help.Thanks,Ronny

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Ronny, I just sent you a PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 AM
nlhawk

Coal Train,
How is the fuel mpg with the 150 that you are running?

Quick Reply: fuel delivery problem.