Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

03 2500 Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03 2500 Daily Driver?

Okay, again, not new to Ram's. Just new to diesels. I was looking at getting a diesel a year and a half ago, but that didn't happen. Now, I'm looking at them again, but this is my main question, and I won't be a putz and try to dick around it.

Can a 03 2500 diesel be a daily driver? I won't be working it much to be honest. It will see maybe 5000 pounds towing once a month/every couple months. Mostly it will just haul my fat but around, and quad or two (or three). Will daily driving it make it not last as long?
How will I have to change my driving habits? Like letting the turbo cool down after I get to work? How long do I have to let the engine warm up before driving it? Give me a run down on how I have to drive a diesel versus a gasser.

I want a diesel, basically for the sake of having a diesel. If I have it still in a few years, I'll look into a bio-diesel conversion, but really, I just want a god damn diesel. I just love them.

So, will daily driving it be a problem? If it won't be good for it, I'll just go get a gasser.

If it can be a DD, what things should I look for in an 03?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Also, what about fuel additives for winter use? Anti-gel? Or is that in pump diesel now? What other maintenance am I looking at?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

No thoughts or did I just not search hard enough?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to put my two cents in, I have a '98 24 valve and I drive it pretty much every day.. I usually let it run for a minute before pulling out of the driveway, and let it idle down the road in my subdivision in 3rd gear (manual tranny) and the turbo temps are usually low enough to shut it down when i get into my driveway. I have had no issues with mine whatsoever and really do enjoy my truck.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 PM
milestone
Rookie

what if you just shut off an engine without thinking about the turbos?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

You will want to allow it to cool before shutting it down or you risk the oil "coking" the bearings in the turbo. This is basically saying that the oil will burn off in the turbo bearings if it is too hot. Most regular driving does not make the temps high enough to have to idle for too long but it is a good idea to try to make a habit of it

Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Also, what about fuel additives for winter use? Anti-gel? Or is that in pump diesel now? What other maintenance am I looking at?
Your fuel station should have signage informing you of additives such as anti-gel. We use diesel without additional additive in Fort McMurray, Alberta and the truck started last winter with 0 issues. It reaches down to -50C during the winter here.

If your station does NOT treat the fuel, you'll likely be good for most days, but some will be tough, depending on if it gets very cold in your neck of the woods.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running fuel additives is a good idea anyway, the move from LSD to ULSD resulted in crappier lubrication for your fuel system. Apparently the method of removing the sulfur also scrubs the stuff that lubricates out too.

Same thing with the oil - run an additive if you're using the new CI-4 oils. (if you don't have a DPF)

Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Thanks for the info guys. It's encouraging.
Horatio102, I don't know what CI-4 oil or DPF is. Could you explain please?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

Diesel particle filter emission s*** if you have it do the cummins a big favor straight pipe it and get rid if the DPF it hurts the trucks.. CI-4 oil is just a type of oil

Last edited by (texas-ram)325HP; 08-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 03 2500 Daily Driver?