Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dodge Ram 2500 transmission cooling diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
CRAFTBENDER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 2500 transmission cooling diagram

I'm new on this forum. My 2500 diesel has a transmission leak and I am looking for a detailed diagram of the whole transmission cooling system. The leak is coming from the water cooled heat exchanger and I want to bypass this through a high capacity after market cooler to be mounted in front of the radiator, which will give me the stock air cooler plus the after market one. A detailed diagram would be very helpful. By the way, the dodge place wants 2100 dollars to replace the heat exchanger. Thanks

Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

What year, make, 2x4/4x4, etc......

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
CRAFTBENDER

Originally Posted by Uncle Meanie
What year, make, 2x4/4x4, etc......
2004 2500 diesel 4x4 3D7KU28C64G133506. Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Best advice I could give is to stop driving it now. You risk a total failure of the part and it will cross contaminate both the engine & transmission forcing a tranny rebuild and a pain in the *** engine flush. Ask me how I know...

I have bypassed that cooler and have the stock one up front and a remote one mounted under the rear of the cab above the rear driveshaft. That one has a built in fan & fan switch which is still unwired. I have a DD mag tranny pan and never see temps above 180 in the pan... I dont tow either. If I did I'd hook up the fan.

I had a shop do both the bypass & install of the other cooler. I'd imagine bypassing it & adding the remote cooler is pretty straight forward. You should drill out the check valve in the stock cooler up front and flush the debris out.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
CRAFTBENDER

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Best advice I could give is to stop driving it now. You risk a total failure of the part and it will cross contaminate both the engine & transmission forcing a tranny rebuild and a pain in the *** engine flush. Ask me how I know...

I have bypassed that cooler and have the stock one up front and a remote one mounted under the rear of the cab above the rear driveshaft. That one has a built in fan & fan switch which is still unwired. I have a DD mag tranny pan and never see temps above 180 in the pan... I dont tow either. If I did I'd hook up the fan.

I had a shop do both the bypass & install of the other cooler. I'd imagine bypassing it & adding the remote cooler is pretty straight forward. You should drill out the check valve in the stock cooler up front and flush the debris out.
Thanks very much. Apparently there is no contamination of the transmission. The Dodge guy told me that. Haven't checked the engine coolant yet and am not driving it until I do what you have done, but I think I will mount the other cooler behind the grill in front of the stock auxiliary. By the way, I subscribed to alldatadiy.com for diagrams and info on my truck and am happy with that choice.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM
CRAFTBENDER

Meant to ask. How much did the conversion cost you, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks so much!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ultmately the conversion cost $1800 bux since I had to rebuild the tranny... The day my cooler failed I pulled up the tranny shop for some parts install work. When I saw the strawberry milkshake in the overflow bottle I knew exactly what happened. $600 later & a lot of flushing it was pretty clean of contaminates. That included bypassing the heat exchanger. The other cooler ran me something like $200 bux and about $100 for the install... I mounted that one under the cab near the rear passenger seats just above the driveshaft.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
CRAFTBENDER

ultmately the conversion cost $1800 bux since I had to rebuild the tranny... The day my cooler failed I pulled up the tranny shop for some parts install work. When I saw the strawberry milkshake in the overflow bottle I knew exactly what happened. $600 later & a lot of flushing it was pretty clean of contaminates. That included bypassing the heat exchanger. The other cooler ran me something like $200 bux and about $100 for the install... I mounted that one under the cab near the rear passenger seats just above the driveshaft.
Thanks for the information. Got my work cut out for me but the weather's gonna have to get better first.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2500 transmission cooling diagram