Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cutting Cab Engine noise. Anyone have the "Quiet Kit" on the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:35 PM
braddrummond
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Cab Engine noise. Anyone have the "Quiet Kit" on the engine?

I'm trying to cut down the cab noise on my 99. Any ideas???
Has anyone tried this to cut down cab noise on a 99? It's very pricy, so I'd like to know if it works before shelling out the $$$.
Anyone tried anything else??

http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge_ram.htm

[align=center]The ‘Quiet Kit’ for the Dodge Ram with Cummins Turbo Diesel
12 Valve and 24 Valve Kits Now Available!
[/align] Advanced Thermal Products, Inc. is a manufacturer of High-Temperature Insulation Systems for the Diesel, Power Generation, Aerospace, and Race Industries. Since we started, in 1972, our insulation blankets have been used in every possible extreme heat scenario. Our Diesel Engine division has developed kits for virtually all of the engines from Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, and Perkins. We also supply Diesel Insulation Blankets for most of the United States Coast Guard vessels. Insulation kits are now available for the Dodge-Cummins Diesel Truck. These thermal insulation soft-blankets will help to eliminate two common problems inherent to diesel engines: Excessive Heat and Noise. Use of the ‘Quiet Kit’ will not only result in an increase in thermal efficiency of the engine, but will also noticeably decrease the sound (dB) level in the cab.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Ralph78
Professional
Default RE: Cutting Cab Engine noise. Anyone have the "Quiet Kit" on the engine?

Talk about $$$$$. I will just put up with the noise. It looks as though it would be a BIG PITA to do routine maintanence with all of the noise reduction gear in place.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:29 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cutting Cab Engine noise. Anyone have the "Quiet Kit" on the engine?

That is alot of $$. You could buy a 4x6 sheet of insulating barrier from Genos for like $35.00 along with some tape and it would help cut down on the noise. I wish I could remember where I saw the one that was a cut out and would fit the hood and was self sticking and it was priced lower then the web site you looked at.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:43 PM
braddrummond

Noone has done anything to cut cab noise???
How about using dynamat under the existing hood blanket and on the firewall??

Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
49lambert
Rookie

I took a look at that website. I thought it was a bad idea to wrap and insulate the turbo. Wont that increase EGT's?

Old 12-26-2006, 03:55 PM
braddrummond

It shouldn't raise the EGT. No increase in backpressure to the motor. And the EGT should be a result of engine load. Most commercial diesels have insulated exhaust systems and turbo's. Or they use ceramic coatings to keep the heat inside the turbo. I've read that the turbo is more efficient by keeping all of the heat energy internal and out of the engine compartment.

Brad

Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Brent13
Rookie

It may just be me, but I wish my 06 had more "diesel noise". It is just too quiet.....

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: braddrummond

It shouldn't raise the EGT. No increase in backpressure to the motor. And the EGT should be a result of engine load. Most commercial diesels have insulated exhaust systems and turbo's. Or they use ceramic coatings to keep the heat inside the turbo. I've read that the turbo is more efficient by keeping all of the heat energy internal and out of the engine compartment.

Brad
I only reason I would think a turbo would be coated or insulated is if it was on top of the engine like a is Detroit (or use to be anyway) and or any other set up like that or the new Ford 6.4. The last time I took a looks see at a semi turbo was on a Cummins back in the early 90’s and not a single one was insulated or coated. Now I have seen some part of the exhaust systems covered to protect some other parts near by it from getting to hot but not to keep the heat in the system to help it some how. But the things do change but I cannot see how insulating a Cummins setup could help an engine run better. It’s my understanding that heat is one of several engines worse enemies. I also don’t see how heat can make a turbo more efficient as all a turbo does is pack/compress more cold air in to the cylinders. Also heat will hurt the bearing that the turbo spins on and if they get to hot the bearing will fry and seize up. Like I said if it sits on top of the engine then the only reason would be to keep the heat away from other parts. But hey I’m willing to learn something new if you show me where to read up on this at. BTW, I assume we were talking about diesel engines and not gas.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
braddrummond

DBLR,
It would apply to both gas and diesels. An engine is converting fuel to thermal energy. Any of that lost through radiant energy is a loss in efficiency. Exhaust pressure (which drives turbo speed) is a direct result of the thermal energy release in the cylinder. Any drop from radiant loss, reduces the power available to drive the turbo.
Gas engine turbo's rarely last more than 100k miles because of the heat difference.
Turbo bearing problems on diesels are usually lube issues. The diesel exhaust is so much cooler than that of a gas engine that bearing life is not an issue.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last time I looked, a gasser under full load WOT runs cooler than a Diesel.

wrapping the exhaust and turbo for our trucks will not give you any extra power or turbo effiency. all it will do is extend cool down times and give you more of a chance of boiling the oil on the turbo bearings. I can see wrapping the exhaust on V8 diesels to keep the heat away from the engine due to the possition of the turbo between the heads, however on our engines the exhaust is routed away from the engine.

the only way I know of to make the cab of a VP-44 24valve more quiet is to use alot of dynamat or other insulating matting.

Quick Reply: Cutting Cab Engine noise. Anyone have the "Quiet Kit" on the engine?