Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1988 Dodge Ram Van, KING FISHER EDITION for she

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018 | 03:39 PM
Ophelia Scarblade
|
Default 1988 Dodge Ram Van, KING FISHER EDITION for she

That's right! I'm selling my bad *** van, which I like to call ... Home! I ****ing love this thing!!! U love to roam around the USA with my doggy Bella! The reason I'm selling it because u have no idea how to fix it! I've tried everything! And at this point, my van has broken my heart for the last time. It always worked 100%perfectly, no issues whatsoever, then i had to get it towed one day and BAM is broken. The van is in great condition and runs very well... It just doesn't run right now... As stated previously, this van is my home, being as it's broken down, and in no way shape or form am I got to fix it, and being that I lve already spent INSANE amounts of cash on "fixing" it MYSELF (HA) a mechanic is out of the question, SO it's my home, but... Not very useful a mobile home when it is not mobile!! I'm not from Wyoming, I've been here about 2 months.... Broken down...i need to get a new home!! So, if anyone is interested in my sick *** van, hit me up!

Old 11-28-2018 | 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So what is wrong with it? There are a lotta reasons it simply won't run, ranging from a bad sensor, to a blown motor......

Old 11-28-2018 | 06:16 PM
Ophelia Scarblade
|
Default Omg

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So what is wrong with it? There are a lotta reasons it simply won't run, ranging from a bad sensor, to a blown motor......
i seriously don't know, i haven't a clue. I've replaced a while **** ton of stuff, changed distributor cap, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel regulator, fuel relay, uhm, fixed the steering wheel (not that that was the problem) in really just not sure what to do at this point.

Old 11-28-2018 | 07:39 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I'd think you'd be better off fixing the van and drive to a new home in some warmer climate place than Wyoming... won't get much for a broke down old Dodge van, or a running one for that matter. But a running one has great sentimental value to those of us who have one

We've all been frustrated at one time or another over our vehicle, but there are some very helpful people here who can give advice to help you figure out why it's not running if you will give a better description of what it's doing/not doing.
What happened when it first began giving you problems? Why was the fuel pump changed out? Did it all of a sudden shut down while you were driving or just not start one day after it had been running fine the previous day..? Is the engine cranking over when you try to start, or not cranking over at all? The more info you provide can help someone to help you out.

Old 11-29-2018 | 12:48 AM
Ophelia Scarblade
|
Default What's wrong

Well, the van turns on and sounds like it's fine, but when I try to drive it act like it's not getting fuel and dies. I would most definitely be somewhere warmer by now, however, I can't leave my van behind, abandoned. I just don't know what to do anymore. I love it, I want to continue my adventure, but I'm or on cash now, all because I continuously have been putting money into it for the last 2 months straight. I've looked online for help, and I'm just at a loss. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 11-29-2018 | 12:49 AM
Ophelia Scarblade
|

Originally Posted by JFloors
I'd think you'd be better off fixing the van and drive to a new home in some warmer climate place than Wyoming... won't get much for a broke down old Dodge van, or a running one for that matter. But a running one has great sentimental value to those of us who have one

We've all been frustrated at one time or another over our vehicle, but there are some very helpful people here who can give advice to help you figure out why it's not running if you will give a better description of what it's doing/not doing.
What happened when it first began giving you problems? Why was the fuel pump changed out? Did it all of a sudden shut down while you were driving or just not start one day after it had been running fine the previous day..? Is the engine cranking over when you try to start, or not cranking over at all? The more info you provide can help someone to help you out.
Well, the van turns on and sounds like it's fine, but when I try to drive it act like it's not getting fuel and dies. I would most definitely be somewhere warmer by now, however, I can't leave my van behind, abandoned. I just don't know what to do anymore. I love it, I want to continue my adventure, but I'm or on cash now, all because I continuously have been putting money into it for the last 2 months straight. I've looked online for help, and I'm just at a loss. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 11-29-2018 | 04:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would verify fuel pressure..... Sure, you replaced the pump, but, just because its new.......

Old 11-29-2018 | 11:30 PM
SteveR
Captain

A 1988 van will be expensive to own because it's old and it's a heavy duty vehicle. I would try to find a garage that will diagnose the vehicle before going much further. The more compassionate garages are usually a little run down and have more older vehicles parked outside of them. I always skip garages that show signs of wealth.

I am all for learning how to fix things but a good diagnosis from a garage can save you a lot of time and money. You can take that diagnosis, look at their price to fix the van, and then decide if it is something you want to research and do yourself.

Old 12-01-2018 | 07:45 PM
nibroc
Captain

there's 2 fuel injectors on it----one could be the culprit---my 89 did the same thing as you describe and that was the problem

Old 03-06-2023 | 12:15 AM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ophelia Scarblade
super weird and sounds out of bounds for a solution to the problem but beleive it or not a bad ignition switch will cause a *fake*no fuel pressure type behavior. not the tumbler part where the key goes into - but the black box underneath tumbler where the electrical harness plugs into. it will start out with lite symptoms of low fuel pressure and then just start to totally loose power draw all together- simutaniously power back on and off in very nasty hickup. sometimes the van will totally die at low speeds or stop lights. may or may not restart. i had all of these issues and solved it by replacing igniton switch. dont be like me and start throwing parts at it. this lesson cost me a tune up from head to toe. wires plugs distributor, distributor pickup, cap, main black coil box, alternator, and some relays. in the end - it was a bad Ignition switch.

Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge Ram Van, KING FISHER EDITION for she