Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 1500 van cruise control installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Program wouldn't take? They couldn't load an 'updated' program? Or, they did, and it simply didn't work?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Detore344
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Program wouldn't take? They couldn't load an 'updated' program? Or, they did, and it simply didn't work?
I honestly don't completely remember. I believe he said the program wouldn't take. He couldn't explain why, nor did he know whether or not a new pcm would be programmable. I then asked if there was anyone I could go to, or a tech line I could call. He basically told me no, and it became a dead end. I have since found that there is only one part number for that pcm and that motor, so something just doesn't smell right about all of this. I'm almost under the impression that it somehow has to do with the Vin#. Like maybe because the van isn't listed as having cruise control, the big dodge machine won't allow the program to be added. At this point, I'm not even sure where to turn. I wrote to the Mopar.com link and mentioned I went to 3 dealerships. I got a return message telling me to go to my local dealership. Then a few days later I got an email asking me to take a survey. So I did the survey asking someone to contact me. So far, nothing. I've kind of backed off of my effort for a bit to reclaim my sanity, but I have a feeling this is a problem that would've been far more simple 19 years ago.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The PCM is the same for pretty much any vehicle that had a Magnum motor of any description, it's the programming in the PCM that changed, depending on displacement. I have never heard of the aftermarket tuners asking if you have cruise control or not..... So, either it simply doesn't matter, or, the aftermarket folks just assume that you do, and that feature is 'turned on' in the programming. The only electronics involved in the cruise is the PCM, switches on the steering wheel, and the servo under the hood. If you have a factory service manual, there is likely some troubleshooting steps in there for the cruise. Heck, it's the same system used on the trucks, so, probably even the appropriate year truck manual would work. (and are available for download in the 2nd gen ram FAQ/DIY section....)

If you aren't real far away, you could bring it here, and I would be happy to poke at it a bit.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Unfortunately I live in Seattle Washington, which may explain why nobody at the dealerships knows what the "h" they are doing. Not saying it isn't possible someday. I've been contemplating a road trip to Ohio in September. Clayton is a bit off course, but might be worth it on the way back.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of the distance you are traveling anyway. Is it going to be just you? Or will others be coming along? I have a couch, at least.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Joe King

I replaced my ECM from a truck with the transmission I have and worth cruise. I only paid like $30 for the computer and it was the easiest part of my conversion.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by Joe King
I replaced my ECM from a truck with the transmission I have and worth cruise. I only paid like $30 for the computer and it was the easiest part of my conversion.
What year was your van? Did you actually do a no cruise to cruise conversion, or was there more or less to it?

Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Joe King

It is a 94, had no cruise. I put an ECM out of a 95 truck and the brake switch, controller and steering wheel out of a 94 (I also bought the ECM out of the same van but it was toast). Pretty much all the wiring was already there, practically plug and play. I needed the ECM to finish my transmission swap so I don't know if the original computer would work or not

Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by Joe King
It is a 94, had no cruise. I put an ECM out of a 95 truck and the brake switch, controller and steering wheel out of a 94 (I also bought the ECM out of the same van but it was toast). Pretty much all the wiring was already there, practically plug and play. I needed the ECM to finish my transmission swap so I don't know if the original computer would work or not
Unfortunately, that won't work on a 2000 as any computer swaps require a reflash. The computers from your era are simple plug and play.

On a different note, I'm now having a problem with the voltage regulator in the PCM, and various gauges are not working properly. So one way or another, it looks like I will likely need a new (reman) computer. There are 2 available from dealerships across the country, but they want over $1k for them, and "F" that. Not to mention, I will have to have them programmed at the dealership for additional cost. Does anyone on here have experience with various PCM companies? There seem to be a million of them on the internet, and of course none of them are anywhere near Seattle.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is one that is a sponsor here on the site. (at least, they were, last I checked...) they are much more reasonable, and they come programmed to your vin. (you have to tell 'em your vin..... )

On yours, the cluster gets 99% of its info via the communications bus. Try a cluster test first, just hold in the trip reset button, turn the ignition on, and the cluster will do it's test. All lights will light up, all gauges will go thru a full sweep. It'll spit out some codes to, but so far, those have been pretty meaningless to me..... If all that works, see if you can communicate with the PCM when the cluster is having issues. (scanner.)

Quick Reply: 2000 1500 van cruise control installation