Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B 350 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM
William Hatmaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B 350 brakes

Well I’m still working on my van. It’s fighting me but I still love it. My 1986 has the brake springs that hook to a pin that looks like a fishhook. Please tell me a trick to getting them back on. I’ve had them on n off but my axle was out. I’m having a fit with that big axle in. It’s a 9.25 rear 8 lug. Do I have to pull the axle back out to get it done? It’s behind the park brake lever. U ppl have been great in helping a new to dodge guy who wants to keep his old van forever

Last edited by William Hatmaker; 06-05-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Brake spring pliers Brake spring pliers
. On the end of one of the handles, is a depression, and hook, designed to grab ahold of that pin, and then you simply lever the spring into place. It slides down the handle, and onto the pin.

Can you post a pic, so I am steering you right?

Old 06-05-2021, 10:12 PM
William Hatmaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Brake spring pliers. On the end of one of the handles, is a depression, and hook, designed to grab ahold of that pin, and then you simply lever the spring into place. It slides down the handle, and onto the pin.

Can you post a pic, so I am steering you right?
I’m trying to figure out how to work this site. Don’t see how to send u a pic . One pin looks like a big fishhook n it comes in from the backing plate, the other is a short fat coil that hooks to the break shoe n u have to prise it back for the hook on the end to catch the fishhook pin. I’ve had them on n off but the big axle was out. I guess I’ll have to drain the rear n take out the c clips n axles to get the shoes back on. Took the wheel cylinder off n still couldn’t get it. The new wheel cylinders don’t push in enough to get the shoes in to put the pin fishhook together

Old 06-06-2021, 04:48 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Can you pull the shoes off and hook the ends of the springs where they need to connect then angle the shoes into position then install the cups and springs to hold the shoes on?

Old 06-06-2021, 02:39 PM
William Hatmaker
Default Cups?? Don’t understand. The emergency brake n big axle don’t let me get in there. It

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles;[url=tel:3516750
3516750[/url]]Can you pull the shoes off and hook the ends of the springs where they need to connect then angle the shoes into position then install the cups and springs to hold the shoes on?
site won’t let me reply. Its not like newer dodges. It doesn’t have the little round retainers with a spring under them. It’s got fish hooks instead. There isn’t room to hook them up first. The emergency brake lever n big 8 lug axle don’t leave room to do that. I guess I’ll have to pull the axles to be able to reach underneath n get spring on the fishhook pin. Sure wish there was an easier way

Old 06-08-2021, 06:08 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Even though the hook is used instead of the cups and springs, I still think you can do what I suggested.. Assemble the springs to the shoes, hooked in the proper holes. Work the assembly around the spindle putting the top of the shoes into the rear cylinder. Shorten the adjuster all the way in then put it on down on the bottom.. Hook the shoes from the back. Often there is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe, so make sure you get that right.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 AM
William Hatmaker
Default Brakes

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
Even though the hook is used instead of the cups and springs, I still think you can do what I suggested.. Assemble the springs to the shoes, hooked in the proper holes. Work the assembly around the spindle putting the top of the shoes into the rear cylinder. Shorten the adjuster all the way in then put it on down on the bottom.. Hook the shoes from the back. Often there is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe, so make sure you get that right.
I finally got them on🤣. I found screw in back of emergency brake lever n it gave me room to manhandle them in like you said. Thanks a million. U have been a big help. Wish i could send u pic of steering box column connection. It just don’t look right. I’m gonna rebuild this thing from front to back. I’ll keep it forever.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by William Hatmaker
I’m trying to figure out how to work this site. Don’t see how to send u a pic . One pin looks like a big fishhook n it comes in from the backing plate, the other is a short fat coil that hooks to the break shoe n u have to prise it back for the hook on the end to catch the fishhook pin. I’ve had them on n off but the big axle was out. I guess I’ll have to drain the rear n take out the c clips n axles to get the shoes back on. Took the wheel cylinder off n still couldn’t get it. The new wheel cylinders don’t push in enough to get the shoes in to put the pin fishhook together

To attach a photo, you first need to have one on your computer. Then, when you hit the "quote" button or for a quick reply, you go advanced, there will be a button labeled "manage attachments".That will let you find files on your computer. Once you select them, you hit the upload button. Then, when you post, they will appear in your post.

I'd be interested in seeing your brakes as that's what I've done for 55 years.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:44 PM
William Hatmaker

Originally Posted by William Hatmaker
Well I’m still working on my van. It’s fighting me but I still love it. My 1986 has the brake springs that hook to a pin that looks like a fishhook. Please tell me a trick to getting them back on. I’ve had them on n off but my axle was out. I’m having a fit with that big axle in. It’s a 9.25 rear 8 lug. Do I have to pull the axle back out to get it done? It’s behind the park brake lever. U ppl have been great in helping a new to dodge guy who wants to keep his old van forever

This is easy one
hard ones behind the parking brake lever

Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Wow. Ok, that's different. I don't think I have ever seen that style before......

Quick Reply: B 350 brakes