Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

99 Dodge Ram won’t start without starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Sulaiimaan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Ram won’t start without starter fluid

I had to change the crankshaft position sensor it’s not a high or good quality one, I just got it to see if it would get it running, it works but I have to spray starter fluid, it’s getting fuel and spark, could it be something wrong with the new sensor or the camshaft sensor

Old 11-29-2021, 10:01 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Does it start then die using starter fluid or does it start with starter fluid then continue to run on the gas?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:27 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulaiimaan
I had to change the crankshaft position sensor it’s not a high or good quality one, I just got it to see if it would get it running, it works but I have to spray starter fluid, it’s getting fuel and spark, could it be something wrong with the new sensor or the camshaft sensor

Swap the fuel pump relay with the a/c relay. They are the same part. If it stays running then, you have a bad relay. How many miles on the truck? You may have a bad fuel pump.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:43 PM
Sulaiimaan

Originally Posted by alloro
Does it start then die using starter fluid or does it start with starter fluid then continue to run on the gas?
yes it continues running after I use the start fluid the fuel pumps run when I turn the key and Prime it it seems like a cranking issue

Old 11-29-2021, 02:44 PM
Sulaiimaan

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Swap the fuel pump relay with the a/c relay. They are the same part. If it stays running then, you have a bad relay. How many miles on the truck? You may have a bad fuel pump.
the fuel pumps work and it stays running after I spray starter fluid when cranking, it has 165 on her

Old 11-29-2021, 05:48 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

the fuel pumps work and it stays running after I spray starter fluid when cranking, it has 165 on her

I'm a little confused here. It will start on starting fluid. Yes? Does it run once started? If so, it will continue to run, but won't start without starting fluid, is this correct? There may be a problem in your ignition switch. It has two positions, a start and a run setting. The start may have failed.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 PM
Sulaiimaan

I'm a little confused here. It will start on starting fluid. Yes? Does it run once started? If so, it will continue to run, but won't start without starting fluid, is this correct? There may be a problem in your ignition switch. It has two positions, a start and a run setting. The start may have failed.
yes and it makes a loud noise like the fan hitting something and it’s not could it be the timing chain?

Old 11-30-2021, 07:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Check fuel pressure.

As for the noise, no idea there, would need to hear it.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:17 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

There may be a problem in your ignition switch. It has two positions, a start and a run setting. The start may have failed.
If that were the case it wouldn't start on staring fluid either.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:22 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

yes it continues running after I use the start fluid the fuel pumps run when I turn the key and Prime it it seems like a cranking issue
Did this start happening after it got cold out side? If so the spark plug gap could be too large or the CTS could be bad. A larger gap requires more energy to jump and cold air being more dense also requires more energy to jump the gap. A bad CTS will make the PCM think the engine is warm and will not richen the mixture for a cold start. That's the equivalent of the choke not closing on a carbureted engine. Starting fluid burns easier than gas so it is able to fire until the engine produces a bit of heat in the cylinders.

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Ram won’t start without starter fluid