Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hello all,1995 B2500 Elk Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 11:04 AM
CarolinaGuy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello all,1995 B2500 Elk Conversion Van

New subscriber but I have used the forums in the past seeking answers to some problems that I've come across.
I've had my van for a couple years now,got it for 1k and drove it the 3 hours home without mush issue.
Since then I've done a few things such as fix the AC,replace the fan blower in the rear,front end stabilizer bar,full tune up,new calipers,pads and flex lines along with new master cylinder. Fuel pump replaced and then it went out on me recently. I had my local shop replace it and then 2 days later it was dead again.
A long story short,they towed it back to the shop and then it took them 2 days to diagnose the problem which turned out to be a short in the wiring harness connector to the fuel pump. They couldn't source a new one but fixed the old one and felt confident about the repair. The good news is they didn't charge me anything for the tow or repair.
I am extremely happy about that as I've been taken by a shady shop in the past.
I have seen many threads about people having similar issues with fuel pumps and thought this may be useful to someone.
I want to get the new connector/pigtail for the future in case it fails again but I'm having trouble sourcing it. It is the 4 pin and it's round. I'll try and get the part number but I do know they changed the connector for years 94,95,96. My 95 is supposed to be a square 4 pin connector but the shop said it ain't it.
I have OCD about some things and not having a new connector on hand is triggering that OCD as I try to have backups on everything.
Anyway,nice to be here,thanks for any feedback and if I find any new information I'll report back.

The following users liked this post:
Ms.Ginger (04-16-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:29 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice van...I have an 03 Elk.

Why do you think there is an issue with the pigtail? As nice as your van looks, I would not suspect that. Really, there are only a few reasons you repair a pigtail. Usually, it has cracked or is corroded. You can find a bunch of them at local junkyards.

CarolinaGuy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:11 AM
CarolinaGuy

The fuel pump went bad after being replaced a little over a year. When it went out I had a local shop flat bed it out. They replaced the fuel pump and two days later it wouldn't start.
They came and took it back to the shop and it took a couple days to figure it out but I was impressed. A short in the wiring harness connector. They didn't charge me a penny.
They will be my go too and they're local.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:37 AM
CarolinaGuy

I do love this van. So happy to be driving her again. These are the pics of the day I bought the van.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Wow. Sharp. And still appears to be in rather good condition.

CarolinaGuy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:25 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy
The fuel pump went bad after being replaced a little over a year. When it went out I had a local shop flat bed it out. They replaced the fuel pump and two days later it wouldn't start.
They came and took it back to the shop and it took a couple days to figure it out but I was impressed. A short in the wiring harness connector. They didn't charge me a penny.
They will be my go too and they're local.
Well,, they shouldnt :lol:
A short in the connection -- ie. I didnt shove the connector on all the way

CarolinaGuy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 07:12 PM
CarolinaGuy

Originally Posted by ElkCon
Well,, they shouldnt :lol:
A short in the connection -- ie. I didnt shove the connector on all the way
Haha,yeah,I hear you. They actually showed me the short in the harness and told me that's more than likely why the first pump failed after maybe 20k miles later.
I would highly recommend them to anyone. I've been *** raped before so it was nice to find honesty.
Top-Notch in Tyner NC 27980.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy
Haha,yeah,I hear you. They actually showed me the short in the harness and told me that's more than likely why the first pump failed after maybe 20k miles later.
I would highly recommend them to anyone. I've been *** raped before so it was nice to find honesty.
Top-Notch in Tyner NC 27980.

A good shop won't charge ob something like that as it will get them more work down the road than a dozen ads.

CarolinaGuy (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 12:57 AM
CarolinaGuy

That's true. Been a bad run up until now since I lost my mechanic friend.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:23 AM
CarolinaGuy

Man,I just had to screw around with my Overdrive button... I had been jumping from my truck to my sub compact to my van pretty often and as I was driving home at night I started thinking was my OD button in the truck or the van? I flipped the light on and realized it was the van. Just because,I pushed it,the OD went off. Went to push it again and heard a crunch,light still on,OD still off. Yep,it broke. They wanted an ungodly amount for it on Ebay so I opted to do the junkyard search. After walking about a mile and a half at Always near Deep Creek, VA I ended up pulling a switch out of a 94 Dakota. Same plug but 5 pins on the Dakota because the light is separate,the van is a 4 pin. Got it for $10 and it works perfectly. I just need to break out my dremel tools and trim it to fit into the dash. Don't think it will be too difficult to make it right. For 10 bucks it's well worth the aggravation to me. Lesson learned though. If it ain't broke,leave it the hell alone...

Quick Reply: Hello all,1995 B2500 Elk Conversion Van