Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Dodge Ram Van 3500 - New Radiator Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 11:27 AM
donquizote
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram Van 3500 - New Radiator Install

Hi all,

New member here. I just purchased a 2000 Dodge Van Wagon 3500 Maxi, the extended 15 passenger van. It has the 5.9L V8 360 engine, 4 speed auto trans with O/D, and AC with additional vents going to the back. The engine has high mileage (242,000), but runs strong and apparently was a goodwill van (so reportedly fleet maintained) until around 2017.

It appears that it still has the original radiator, and the local mechanic said the core was corroded and I need to replace it. I feel comfortable doing the radiator myself I think, and I recently purchased the service manual off ebay (total beast of a manual btw).

My question is, if I'm going to replace the radiator, what else should I go ahead and take care of while I've removed everything? I would like to order parts and work on this during the holiday weekend, but have held off until I know what all I should replace.

Also, I am trying to determine what kind of radiator I would need and how to also install a trans cooler. The van came stock with "Heavy Duty" HD Cooling per the VIN decoding info. At the moment I am looking at this radiator on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7X9N6KC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31B1NF333K7B&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7X9N6KC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31B1NF333K7B&psc=1

I've found a few good threads already, but any additional suggestions would be much appreciated! Photos of the van below

Old 08-30-2024, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,350 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Does your current radiator have a trans cooler?? If it does, then you don't want the amazon feller.

With the HD cooling, it is entirely possible it already HAS an aux trans cooler between the condenser, and radiator. Have a look at the plumbing for the trans, see if you have lines going forward of the radiator.

Replace the radiator hoses as well. There is also a short little feller under the a/c compressor between the pump, and intake, you should really consider replacing too.... Pain to get to... but, with all the other stuff out of the way, it doesn't get any easier.

How old is the water pump? Any idea? How about timing chain and gears?? (though, if it runs good, not sure I would worry about the timing set....)

Welcome to DF!

The following users liked this post:
donquizote (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 12:11 PM
donquizote

Thanks for the response and welcome!

I think it does have an auxiliary trans cooler. See photos below. I was looking at it yesterday and on the right side there is a smaller cooler which I think is a trans cooler? Still learning a lot about these vans. Any recommendations for replacing this, or would it be fine to just reuse that in combo with the amazon radiator?

Good call on the short radiator hose. The previous owner had the thermostat and thermostat housing replaced apparently, as well at the larger radiator hose. Not sure why he didn't do the radiator too given the age/condition. The serpentine belt was also reportedly replaced recently, but the water pump I am not sure. I think I'll replace the WP but perhaps not mess with timing chain. Unless it's not too difficult to replace the timing chain as well.

While I have your attention, behold the awful build up/leak on this trans drain pan. I'm not liking the look/milky color of that. I know for sure there is a transmission oil leak, so was planning to replace the transmission drain pan gasket and fluid at the same time. Hopefully that should take care of it, but I'm sure there'll be others with the high mileage and age. It shifts fine at the moment however.

Old 08-30-2024, 12:15 PM
donquizote

Thanks HeyYou for the quick response! I just submitted another reply with additional photos and details but it isn't showing up. Does it need to be approved?

Old 08-30-2024, 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by donquizote
Thanks HeyYou for the quick response! I just submitted another reply with additional photos and details but it isn't showing up. Does it need to be approved?
Showing up for me.

The little cooler in your pic above is for power steering. The aux trans cooler, if you have one, will be rather large. Not easy to see though.

The following users liked this post:
donquizote (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:16 PM
donquizote

Okay yeah it shows now .

Definitely realizing that would be pretty small for trans cooler lol. I need to look again. So it would be between that silver AC Condenser and the radiator? I was able to find this parts catalog on Internet Archive which has been really helpful for identifying everything. https://archive.org/details/2000Dodg...e/n45/mode/2up

Unfortunately as most people have found, most parts are no longer manufactured. Surprising because they aren't THAT old.

Any thoughts on that oil buildup on the drain pan?

Last edited by donquizote; 08-30-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:25 PM
donquizote

I'm pretty certain I do have one of these. If so, this will be a bigger job than I though. Would I be able to reuse this rather than replace it?

Old 08-30-2024, 07:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Replace the radiator, leave the trans cooler in place, it's a separate part.

Yeah, a LOT of parts are discontinued from MOPAR, however, there are aftermarket pieces for most of it.

Old 08-30-2024, 08:24 PM
donquizote

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the radiator, leave the trans cooler in place, it's a separate part.

Yeah, a LOT of parts are discontinued from MOPAR, however, there are aftermarket pieces for most of it.
​​​​​​with that being the case, do I need to find a specific type of aftermarket radiator that works with an auxiliary cooler? Just asking as you said the one I originally shared wouldn't work. Appreciate the help!

Old 08-30-2024, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by donquizote
​​​​​​with that being the case, do I need to find a specific type of aftermarket radiator that works with an auxiliary cooler? Just asking as you said the one I originally shared wouldn't work. Appreciate the help!
There isn't any difference in the radiators. Anything that is listed as an "OEM Replacement" will work. There is just a bit of extra plumbing. You will need the quick release tool for the trans lines though. Get the single-size aluminum feller, 3/8ths I believe. The plastic ones don't always fit right.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram Van 3500 - New Radiator Install