Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:16 PM
JstBeCauz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake

I wanted to get an Air Intake for my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8. I was looking on ebay and saw some ones on there for cheap but they seem like no name brands. I don't want to get something that isn't good quality for my Ram! Anyone have any experience with these intakes on ebay or have heard anything about them? Also, does anyone know of a place where I can buy a nice intake (name brand not on ebay) for cheap?

I already have a dual exhaust on there so I figured an Air Intake was a good mod to do next... what do you guys suggest for other mods to do that arent crazy expensive?

Old 03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Gadv
Default RE: Air Intake

I recommend you spend the extra $ and get the K&N. I just installed one on my Ram about a week ago. I thought about getting a cheaper one off ebay but after I did some research, cold air seems to be the key when it comes to these systems. The K&N kit includes a heat shield to isolate cooler air from engine heat. Another factor is the quality of the filter itself. K&N is a trusted name and they have a good reputation. You pretty much know what your getting.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:45 PM
JstBeCauz

Yeah, Thats what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just overpriced because of hte name brand and not quality. Where did you get your K&N from? I've looked a few places and they all seem to be the same price... anyone know somewhere where I can get a good deal on one?

Old 03-06-2004, 11:53 PM
cloud9ms
Rookie

From me![8D],

Check out our vendor forum, we are having some good sales on air intakes at special savings for Dodge Forum members. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care!

Volant $259.99
[IMG]local://upfiles/1162/Jg141395551.jpg[/IMG]

K&N FIPK $269.99
[IMG]local://upfiles/1162/Cx760448158.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2004, 04:29 AM
JstBeCauz

What are the pros and cons of the different brand intakes that you sell cloud9ms?

Old 03-07-2004, 04:46 AM
cloud9ms
Rookie

Hey there,

Honestly it comes down to personal preference. They both have similar performance gains, but it comes down to which you like better. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Eddie

Old 03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem with the volant is that you'll pay $260.00 to lose horsepower. Here is a dyno result showing a loss when the volant was installed on a 5.9 Ram: The red result was the Volant.

Old 03-07-2004, 04:07 PM
cloud9ms
Rookie

Hey there,

The only problem I have is how could allowing more air to a motor make it loose horsepower? There has to be some other factor, in the design of the intake that makes it do that. It could be the computer tuning the engine accordingly. If that is the case, what is the use of ANY aftermarket intake, new, or home made? Do you have the article, what did they say is the problem? What other intake did they test?

That would suck, if it were true! I love mine, and believe me my truck lost no horsepower! It is my #1 selling intake right now, and have had no one complain of a performance drop. Truth be told, the graph you are displaying shows a horsepower drop that would be un-noticed by most. Of course most people are adding the intake in conjunction to an exhaust system, I dont think those two mods contribute to power loss.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:08 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner's nickname is BigWaylon and he is a mod at DTO. From what I gather, Volant worked hard to keep the air going to the filter cold but, by enclosing the filter, their design has restricted the air flow.

Air flow is more important than air temperature. Granted cooler air is better, less is not. I think the formula is -1/2 HP per every 10 degree F increase in Ambient temps. So, colder but restriced air is not as beneficial as unrestricted air.

His truck was a 02 or 03 Ram that was fairly modded (M1 intake, etc.) He ended up dumping the intake for a Vortech S/C. Then he sold his truck for a Jeep .

I didn't mean to take the wind out of your sales BTW. I also should point (in the interest of impartiality) that this was only one truck dynoed with the Volant.

Bill,

Old 03-07-2004, 05:46 PM
cloud9ms
Rookie

Hey there,

By no means did I think that. It is just that I get so many updates on how good all the intakes perform on stock trucks.

I would trade the intake for a blower any day![:-]

Quick Reply: Air Intake