Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Taping into a headlight wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:15 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taping into a headlight wire

I'm a fire fighter so I put a blue light on my truck. I'm in the process of installing a switch box for it which has lights in it that show what part of the bar the switch is for. Its suppose to be connected to a marker/headlight wire so when you turn them on it lights up. In my old truck (toyota) I just hooked it onto the fuse in the fuse box under the dash using one of them things you buy that kinda clip to the fuse. Well bings my dodge has them stupid mini fuses I don't think that way will work so whats the easyest way to do it and not screw anything up I would rather not splice into any wires either if possible.

Thanks for the help

Heres of pic of how it looks with the bar. Soon there will be two 4 ft red cb ant. coming up from behind teh cab gonna mount them int the top corner of the bed if i can gotta take the liner out and see what i'm working with.

If anybody knows of any issues I might have with the ants please let me know also is there tie down hooks in the front of the bed they didn't cut any holes in the liner for them if there is

Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Default RE: Taping into a headlight wire

OOPS Put this in the wrong section sorry

Old 02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved.

~Amanda

Old 02-05-2006, 09:07 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did this get moved to lol?

Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

anyways hers how to connect into your makrer lights (park lights) pull off your dash its all snaps excpt 1 screw in the top right corner (in the 98 its where your aux power outlet is but i think its a little diff lay out in the 01's) once your dash is off pull out your headlight switch there should be a black wire with a yellow stripe (dupple check with a test light) and just splice into it its not gonna hurt anything and is pritty simple and i think is the best way for what your doing. ive wirred up a bunch of emerg vehicles at the shop i work at for the fire dept here as well as the conservation officers (fish and game), and the dept of oceans amd fisheries

im asuming you have a plastic drop in liner if so your you have 2 tyedowns at the back and 2 in the front there just under the liner, and as for youe cd antenas as long as they dont flex forward and hit your cab as it would wreck your paint i think that would be a good spot

Old 02-06-2006, 03:51 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Amanda thanks for moving it for me I seen 2ng gen and just posted and then looked and was like oh crap I'm in the wrong one. Ryan thanks a lot for the help.

Yeah i have a plastic liner I got my truck and a used car place when i first looked at it it didn't have a liner when i went back it did. When they put it in they only cut the holes for the rear tie downs which makes tying stuff down a pain in the ***

Old 02-06-2006, 03:59 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

they most likley put in the liner to coverup some box damage they tend to do stuff like that. if i rember correctley the front tyedowns are auchually in the bed of the truck under plactic plugs

Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

there was no damage I think it was just trying to make a better sale. I hear a lot of places do that

Old 02-09-2006, 09:54 PM
prerunner
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you run a dedicated line from your battery to your switch box with a 40 amp fuse in it. If thats a standard lightbar..it has 4 corner strobes, 2 flashers in the back, and maybe 2 in the front. so you pulling 20 amps when fully on (4 1/4amps per strobe). I think the flashers pull about 2 amps+ per. Plus the Takedowns if its equipped.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

it will have a + from the battery right to the light and 1 from the batter that will be connected to 2 from the switch box. As of right now LOL (working on trying to get an Opticom) 8 strobes, 4 flashers as the main get out of my way lights then the alley lights. It has the little corner marker lights in it too but I'm not hooking them up. If i get the opticom and have to remove one of the front facing strobes I'm gonna try and get another normal strobe thing for it and put them to towards the rear.

The way its set up all the strobes are to the front except for the 2 big end strobes and all 4 flashers are towards the rear

Whats the different in a flasher and a takedown? never understood that the one some people talk they are the same thing

Quick Reply: Taping into a headlight wire