2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v8 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 12:03 PM
SharpieDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 manual swap

First post here. I have an 02 2500 5.9 v8 automatic. I'm picking up a 97 v8 5 speed which I believe should be nv4500. The truck is complete and running and should be able to verify everything works. My question is how much of a pain is the swap really? I don't care about cel being on I don't need inspections in my state. But I do need it to be running reliably as it's my daily. Is a flashed pcm 100% necessary? Any sensor issues? I don't care about cruise control working. Just need all the gears and reverse lights.

Old 05-28-2024, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Is the 97 a 2500 as well? 5.9?? If so, then yeah, NV4500. If its a 1500, then probably NV3500..... Gonna have to move the pedals and such over as well, do some wiring so it'll start.... and reverse lights work... aside from that, pretty straightforward.

What kind of shape is the 97 in? Why not just drive it, instead of going thru all the work?

Old 05-28-2024, 12:53 PM
SharpieDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the 97 a 2500 as well? 5.9?? If so, then yeah, NV4500. If its a 1500, then probably NV3500..... Gonna have to move the pedals and such over as well, do some wiring so it'll start.... and reverse lights work... aside from that, pretty straightforward.

What kind of shape is the 97 in? Why not just drive it, instead of going thru all the work?
my truck is in very good shape and only has about 80k on it. Plus I have the extended cab and the donor is a single cab which is no good for me is my main reasoning. It is a 2500 5.9 v8. What kind of rewiring would be needed? Is it just for the neutral safety and reverse? Will my factory starter work? I've seen around that I don't have to swap the entire pedal assembley that I can just add the clutch pedal. Also is the crank sensor an issue? I read that somewhere.

Old 05-28-2024, 02:31 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

So I swapped a 97 1500 360. Using a 94 NV4500 donor truck.

Auto to manual you need to swap crank sensors, one is longer then the other.

Starter was the same, you have both trucks, if you need the other one swap it.

I ran into issues beyond the check engine light, as the fueling seemed to act different with the manual. Id recommend a tune, but do the swap and form your own opinion on whether or not you need tuning, It wasn't undrivable, just annoying.

You can swap the pedals on the shaft without removing the assembly, but its about here nor there, 6 bolts the whole pedal assembly is in your hands, or fighting jesus clips up where you cant see anything once your hands are in there. You need both the clutch and brake pedal from the manual truck. The auto pedal has a wider foot surface that will clash with the clutch pedal, and the automatic pedal uses the full shaft width, vs that's shared with the clutch/brake pedal

Hole is present in the firewall already for clutch hydro, If you remove the floor/4x4 shift boot the dent is in the floor pan that you cut out for the the shifter access

Drive shafts I reused I believe, but i don't remember how well they fit. Best to double check things on install.

You'll need the 5spd transfer case, or swap the input shaft if your case was recently rebuilt. 02 has rear axle speed sensor so just leave the 97 speed pickup in place without plugging it on, or swap tail housings.

I don't have a wiring schematic. but you just need to ground the neutral safety, or hook it up if you prefer. I'm not sure the wiring harnesses would swap or not between 97 and 02 otherwise id say just swap the pcm and all the engine/trans wiring. I never hooked up the reverse lights so Im not much help. I have an 01 factory service manual, I can grab a few pictures if you need them.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:05 PM
SharpieDodge

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
So I swapped a 97 1500 360. Using a 94 NV4500 donor truck.

Auto to manual you need to swap crank sensors, one is longer then the other.

Starter was the same, you have both trucks, if you need the other one swap it.

I ran into issues beyond the check engine light, as the fueling seemed to act different with the manual. Id recommend a tune, but do the swap and form your own opinion on whether or not you need tuning, It wasn't undrivable, just annoying.

You can swap the pedals on the shaft without removing the assembly, but its about here nor there, 6 bolts the whole pedal assembly is in your hands, or fighting jesus clips up where you cant see anything once your hands are in there. You need both the clutch and brake pedal from the manual truck. The auto pedal has a wider foot surface that will clash with the clutch pedal, and the automatic pedal uses the full shaft width, vs that's shared with the clutch/brake pedal

Hole is present in the firewall already for clutch hydro, If you remove the floor/4x4 shift boot the dent is in the floor pan that you cut out for the the shifter access

Drive shafts I reused I believe, but i don't remember how well they fit. Best to double check things on install.

You'll need the 5spd transfer case, or swap the input shaft if your case was recently rebuilt. 02 has rear axle speed sensor so just leave the 97 speed pickup in place without plugging it on, or swap tail housings.

I don't have a wiring schematic. but you just need to ground the neutral safety, or hook it up if you prefer. I'm not sure the wiring harnesses would swap or not between 97 and 02 otherwise id say just swap the pcm and all the engine/trans wiring. I never hooked up the reverse lights so Im not much help. I have an 01 factory service manual, I can grab a few pictures if you need them.
ok so with the donor truck handy it sounds like I don't really need to buy much other than consumables and my speedo should still work fine with rear speed sensors not being touched. I don't care about the reverse lights enough to bother swapping the pcm and harness, worried I'd break more connectors than it would be worth. Where would a person go about getting a tune? Would they tune the pcm I already have or would I have to use a new pcm? Thanks for the post that was alot of useful info 🤙

Old 05-28-2024, 05:03 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Originally Posted by SharpieDodge
ok so with the donor truck handy it sounds like I don't really need to buy much other than consumables and my speedo should still work fine with rear speed sensors not being touched. I don't care about the reverse lights enough to bother swapping the pcm and harness, worried I'd break more connectors than it would be worth. Where would a person go about getting a tune? Would they tune the pcm I already have or would I have to use a new pcm? Thanks for the post that was a lot of useful info 🤙
The computer stuff I'm not very well informed on. I'm still learning them myself. Its possible to tune your PCM. hemifever i think still does them, as well as flyinryan. They are doing more performance type tuning. In regards to a simple PCM trans type change. I'm not sure if this could be done with something as simple as a DRBIII scanner switch. You would be best to research further, see who else replys here, or reach out to one of the above mentions and ask what they would charge for a simple trans swap. They would require purchase of your own SCT to load the tuning as well, they may offer loaners? Finding a PCM from your year truck with a manual/v8 programming would be ideal, I'm not sure if these are new enough to have programmed vin issues.

Old 05-29-2024, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

97 Harness won't work on an 02 anyway. Neither will the PCM.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:17 PM
SharpieDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
97 Harness won't work on an 02 anyway. Neither will the PCM.
Which doesnt really matter anyways right? The trans should be just a direct swap? Any insight on my driveshaft vs that trans/transfercase spline count? If it is different could I just swap the yolks over? Thanks for everyone's input, this is getting closer and I'm getting more and more excited

Old 05-29-2024, 09:33 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Yokes. Don't follow V-8s that much, my guess is you'll be changing sensor connectors or sensors. Speed sensor is an issue. Your PCM will be looking for enough information to shift a an automatic that is not there. You'll need tag numbers off of both your transfer cases. TorqueKing up in Billings, MT. will help you sort out your driveline. You'll get it, good luck.

Last edited by 69_XS29L; 05-29-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:21 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Originally Posted by SharpieDodge
Which doesnt really matter anyways right? The trans should be just a direct swap? Any insight on my driveshaft vs that trans/transfercase spline count? If it is different could I just swap the yolks over? Thanks for everyone's input, this is getting closer and I'm getting more and more excited
i dont remember if the nv4500 gasser came with a 231 or 241DLD transfer case, the NV4500HD diesel came with a 241DHD. Your auto will be a 231. You should be able to move swap yokes if needed. After doing a project like this I prefer to have all new ujoints put in anyway. Why have all your hard work destoyed by a driveshaft flinging around. If your 02 has a full time front axle that front driveshaft CV joint should be rebuilt anyway.

Quick Reply: v8 manual swap