Notices
Vendor Group And Special Buys Vendors and Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

HID Special $60.00 Shipped for Dodgeforum members

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
jason2922
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lights work awesome, no issues at all. Sounds like part of it could be user/install error?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Attono
Veteran

Maybe, but the issues seem to be of several varieties:
1. Polarity reversed
2. Capacitor/no capacitor
3. Interference with FM reception
4. Interference with TPMS

It's good you got yours installed and are happy with them. Were your install instructions clear/concise and did you have any problems following them? Did you pull power from the headlight or blinkers?

I installed a headlight harness in my last vehicle which worked perfectly for 6 years and then gave me nightmares trying to solve what turned out to be a simple grounding issue. I would like to be able to install a better lighting system which is closer to 100% reliablility. Understand that stuff breaks, but quality control is a key issue.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
tombogue09
Captain

I've seen multiple threads of ballists going bad so I suppose they're just cheaply made ballists.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:36 PM
jason2922
Veteran

1. Polarity is not an issue, it's designed to be bipolar depending on what vehicle it's being installed on. It's a universal kit, not made exclusively for 09 dodge rams. All you do is turn the plug around on the ballast if the initial start up didn't work.

2. Capacitor thing was a pain for me, not the install, but figuring out did i need the relay or capacitor. Hidextra still states that the relay is for the dual setup and capacitor is for quad. - i have the dual and the relay would not work for me, once I used the capacitor, all problems were solved, good to go.

3. No interferrence what so ever, I believe this is has to do with trucks with the RER? Which ever is the Nav/touch screen models using the high bus system. But that's not a HID problem, it's the wiring of the truck that's causing the issue if it is the high bus system.

4. No problems with TPMS, only recently has someone posted an issue with their TPMS. They might not even be related?

Instructtions did suck, but it's also kinda common sense when you get it all apart. But yes, there could be a better diagram/instructions.

I used the harness provided, which was plug and play, but the harness pluged directly into the headlight harness. Blinkers had nothing to do with the HID kit.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
jason2922
Veteran

Originally Posted by tombogue09
I've seen multiple threads of ballists going bad so I suppose they're just cheaply made ballists.
I wouldn't say cheaply... These are digital ballasts, which are a newer/better type. Anything mass produced will have problems, look at our trucks - leaks, vibrations/death wobble, climate control problems, etc... Are our trucks cheap?

My sister just bought a brand new Dell Desktop, top of the line, Dell Studio for around 1,500. Got home and the thing wouldn't even turn on...

My point is that all things mass produced today will have a defective rate and will happen to someone.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
tombogue09
Captain

If you want a better light system with 100% reliability then go with higher end halogen bulbs. IMO light output is about the same, there aren't near as many potential points of failure, and you don't have to open a big hole in your lamp for the wires to come in. The only thing I liked about HID's is they looked awesome but that wasn't worth not having FM and worrying about whether my lights will work

Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
marker227
Professional

I guess I can say I'm lucky? Mine work perfectly, it's just that one of the high beams (halogen) bulbs is facing down. Doesn't matter since I'll never use my high beams.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Attono
Veteran

Originally Posted by tombogue09
If you want a better light system with 100% reliability then go with higher end halogen bulbs. IMO light output is about the same, there aren't near as many potential points of failure, and you don't have to open a big hole in your lamp for the wires to come in. The only thing I liked about HID's is they looked awesome but that wasn't worth not having FM and worrying about whether my lights will work
I thought about the SilverStar's and asked but got no response. I'm also wondering how the HIR bulbs compare to these HID sets.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
ten6

When I had Silverstars on my 04' Ram, The life on them was about 18 mos. Other people have had the same experience as I have with them. To me there not worth $40

Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
hidextra.com
Former Vendor

THanks All for the feedbacks and comments above, we are working hard to resolve all the issues as they come in, currently we have improved our RMA process so for those of you who have defective parts, this will speed up the resolution by 1/2 the time previously. Thanks~

Michelle

Quick Reply: HID Special $60.00 Shipped for Dodgeforum members