2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Glow Shift Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glow Shift Gauges

After a delayed start, I am finally getting around to installing the Glow Shift Gauges in my Ram. I picked up the pod and AF gauge form zman either late November or early December. Due to Christmas and 10 grandkids, I held off ordering the other 2 gauges until afterwards.

But I ordered the wrong ones. I think that 2 black 7 color gauges will look funny with a tinted 7 color gauge, so I had to return and wait for exchange, which arrived Thursday.

Name:  GlowShiftGauges.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  133.7 KB

I painted the pod when I replaced the dash. White primer to start then the tan.

Name:  Rampodtopaint.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  Rampodpaint.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  Rampodpainted.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  91.8 KB

Gauges inserted into 3 gauge pod:

Name:  Ramgaugesinserted.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  138.7 KB

Pod and gauges installed. I need to pull pod to loosen gauges to orient them into desired position. I guessed at positioning and want to change and I also got one of them off from the other two.

Name:  Ramgaugesinstalled.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  114.1 KB

I am having trouble identifying the wore coming out of dimmer on light switch for dimming the gauges. FSM is so lengthy; I have not been able to locate it. Haynes is so vague; I have not been able to locate it. Anyone know which wire coming out of the back of headlight switch is the correct one?

Discovery of another problem – bolt being polished by belt. No damage to belt yet, so this has to be fixed! Just what I needed – another task!

Name:  Rambeltissue.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  94.2 KB

Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,304 Likes on 3,049 Posts

Looks like the tan wire? C1, pin 14.....

Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered mine yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing yours completed.

Can that series gauge be dimmed? I ordered the black 7 series and those can't.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
I just ordered mine yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing yours completed.

Can that series gauge be dimmed? I ordered the black 7 series and those can't.

It is kind of confusing. The A/F gauge does not have the orange wire to dim, but the Trans temp and vac do have it. I usually have cluster turned up near max so it probably would not effect me. I mistakenly ordered 2 Blakc series and realized the difference when they arrived. I contacted GlowShift and they exchanged them for 48 shipping. Shipped wrong ones on Tuesday and had the replacements the following Wednesday.

And HeyYou, according to FSM, tan wire? C1, pin 14 looks correct. Haynes manual had me chasing an orange wire that does not exist....

Last edited by gdstock; 01-21-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's kinda strange, but, yeah..... seems it goes from the switch, to the fuse block..... and then off to the radio for panel dimmer.....

Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
gdstock
Legend

And if I am reading it correctly, for the A/F gauge, I need to connect to O2 sensor at C1 pin 24 on PCM. Looking at connectors, which is 1, and which pin is 24? (just in case THAT wire is not Tan with White trace).

Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

C1 is the black one.

hard to tell what the orientation on the connector is, I would think pin 1 would be labeled? Maybe? Somewhere on the connector. Pins are 1 - 11 on the bottom, 12 - 21 in the middle, 22 to 32 across the top. (assuming pin one on lower left of connector as you are looking into it.) Wire appears to be tan with white trace on most models..... black/dark green if you have the HD 360......

Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
C1 is the black one.

hard to tell what the orientation on the connector is, I would think pin 1 would be labeled? Maybe? Somewhere on the connector. Pins are 1 - 11 on the bottom, 12 - 21 in the middle, 22 to 32 across the top. (assuming pin one on lower left of connector as you are looking into it.) Wire appears to be tan with white trace on most models..... black/dark green if you have the HD 360......

Thanks. I will go check that as soon as I wash off the tranny fluid bath from pulling the temp sensor......grrrrrr.....Since Ihave the plain jane 318 on a 2wd, I'll look for tan/white.

Got gauges installed and partially wired up.

Used Add A Fuse to connect to fuse box. Plugged into Radio fuse for switched circuit. The 10 amp fuse is for the radio and I used a 5 amp fuse for gauges.

Name:  Ramaddafuse.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  Ramfusebox.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  87.2 KB

Here they are powered up but not connected to tranny sensor or O2 sensor, truck NOT running.

Name:  Ramgaugeshookedup.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  131.8 KB

And I will probably play with them for some time to determine what color I want them to be,,,,,,,,,

Name:  Ramgaugecolors.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  140.8 KB

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool gdstock! Kudos and await your clean completion. Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

Got the gauge installation completed (with the exception of adjusting position of gauges to line up correctly – but there is a Mavericks game on so that will have to wait until tomorrow). Will also go in and clip ends off tie wraps to clean up installation. All wiring and vacuum tubing was wrapped to prevent chaffing.

PCM connector for O2 sensor connection:

Name:  RamPCM.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  144.7 KB

O2 sensor wire:

Name:  RamPCMO2wire.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  100.5 KB

Transmission temp sensor connected and wrapped with convolute tubing:

Name:  Ramtranstempsens.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  89.8 KB

Gauges connected and working (did not have running long enough for transmission temp to rise.

Name:  Ramgaugescomplete.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  208.2 KB

Quick Reply: Glow Shift Gauges