1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5.2 dakota camshaft ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
just lookin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 dakota camshaft ?'s

im putting a new timing chain on my 1991 dakota while i have it apart im going to put a cam in it do i have to lift the motor up out of the engine compartment or will it fit.
i plan on takeing the radiator as i am replacing that to
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60403/
thats the cam im putting in

Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

I saw this done on 2 guys garage and they didnt have to pull it out but they had the top of engine torn off and half the front end off (no hood, grill, bumper,radiater, esc)
though they also were doin that to a V6 so i dont know how much space there would be for the V8

Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
just lookin

damn idk if i want to go through all of that work but the grill is easy to take off

Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just out of curiosity, not knocking your choice or anything, but why do you want that particular cam? It has a very high powerband for a truck. You'll basically be destroying the trucks ability to tow anything. You'll also have replace your torque converter with one with a higher stall rating (if your truck is an automatic), and if you have 3.55 gears, you'll probably have to go lower (like 4.10s or lower)to keep the engine the cam's rpm range.

Also, you're going to have to pull the top half of the motor apart because you HAVE to change the lifters with a new cam. You will also need to make sure you have a computer that can compensate for the bigger cam or you won't be helping the motor out at all.

I would suggest you also read the short statement in the "Warnings" tab on that summit page.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 06-16-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
just lookin

that cam was one my automotive teacher picked out i know it has a high lift but the duration would keep the idle from loping the powerband would come in at 2000. i know i have to tear the top end apart. but for my main question do i have to pull the engine or can i fit it with just takeing out the radiator and condensor.

ps: if you have a suggestion for a cam let me know you guys have been around these motors longer than i have.lol
thanks for the info 95-318slt it will come in handy.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

It may be the right cam for you, but my main question is (and I hope your shop teacher asked you this as well), what do you want to use the truck for the most? (Street, strip, offroad, towing, etc.) Also, what drivetrain set up do you currently have? (auto or manual, what rear end gears, 2wd, 4x4, etc).

Also, I forgot to mention before... that much lift will require valve springs as well. And you'll need to take the time to make sure the valves will clear the pistons.

The only way to get the cam in without pulling the engine is to remove the radiator, ac condensor, and grille. But you should be able to do it with those out.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 06-17-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
just lookin

Ok, it is a 4x4,3.90 gear, 5.2l,A500 trans,or auto, and single cab
i looked into it. I was wondering what is the stock camshaft lift size?

I found this cam and dont think it will require as much b/s. My teacher is an idiot.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6901/

I belive it will clear with stock lifters and valve springs.If not then show me the cam you would use.I will drive it on the street but do alot of mudding and trail riding.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

I've never researched the LA 318, but I know the factory lift on the 318 magnum is 410 on both intake and exhaust. Allpar.com might have that info for you.

Like I said before, you need to replace the lifters with a new cam. You can't use the factory lifters because they have worn a pattern specific to the factory cam. The only time you can re-use lifters is on hydraulic roller (like the factory magnum lifters), because the contact surfaces are billet and will not wear. As for the valve springs, the factory uses a "bare minimum" spring that will need to be replaced even if you go with just a mild cam. A cam is not something you want cheap out on at all or you will severly shorten the life of the motor.

If you want to go mudding and trail riding, you will want a cam with a lower basic rpm operating range. The higher range cams are mostly used for drag racing where you want a high power band and will launch at a high rpm.

Quick Reply: 5.2 dakota camshaft ?'s