1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

U bolt question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:33 PM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U bolt question?

This came off my 96 Dakota 4x4 and just wondering would online they consider this square or semi round. Compared to the companies pictures you could view it either way it seems. Also these are not the same width all the way down I would assume from torque and overload in the past deforming them and my new leaf packs are 2 1/2 width. So that means I should have 2 1/2 u bolts correct? Oriellys has some that are actually 2 5/8

Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota1996
This came off my 96 Dakota 4x4 and just wondering would online they consider this square or semi round. Compared to the companies pictures you could view it either way it seems. Also these are not the same width all the way down I would assume from torque and overload in the past deforming them and my new leaf packs are 2 1/2 width. So that means I should have 2 1/2 u bolts correct? Oriellys has some that are actually 2 5/8
I call them semi-round because the bottom of the U (top in your picture) isn't 90° with the threaded portion. It arches slightly; square u-bolts shouldn't arch at all.

As for width, measure the holes in the plate. The u-bolt has to go around the leafs, but the distance between the holes should tell you the true width required.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 PM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
I call them semi-round because the bottom of the U (top in your picture) isn't 90° with the threaded portion. It arches slightly; square u-bolts shouldn't arch at all.

As for width, measure the holes in the plate. The u-bolt has to go around the leafs, but the distance between the holes should tell you the true width required.
I was thinking they were semi round as well and so I went to oriellys and looked at the ones they call square and they look just like mine? Lol kinda confused me at that point. Does it really matter if I use either kind?

Also btw have you heard of or seen anyone use an old single leaf from the old set of leaves to put with the new set and use like a helper after a certain load is on it contact's that leaf to provide for more load.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 AM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by dakota1996
I was thinking they were semi round as well and so I went to oriellys and looked at the ones they call square and they look just like mine? Lol kinda confused me at that point. Does it really matter if I use either kind?

Also btw have you heard of or seen anyone use an old single leaf from the old set of leaves to put with the new set and use like a helper after a certain load is on it contact's that leaf to provide for more load.
I'd be more comfortable if the "u" conformed relatively well to the shape it fits over. If they're too square, or too round, they might have a tendency to loosen. I guess in the end, its the fit that matters, not what they call it, so if the O'Reilly ones fit reasonably well I'd go for those.

In regard to the added leaf, I have seen spring packs with an extra leaf that functions as you describe. They're usually straight and they engage more as the arched springs begin to flatten out under load.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're square. It's plainly obvious. Anything else is wrong. And I can't believe someone would say anything else other wise.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 AM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
They're square. It's plainly obvious. Anything else is wrong. And I can't believe someone would say anything else other wise.
You're entitled to an opinion - even if its wrong. They're not square - unless you have something more convincing to offer than trust in your infallibility.

http://www.jonesspring.com/shop/ubolt-round/

Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragged89
You're entitled to an opinion - even if its wrong. They're not square - unless you have something more convincing to offer than trust in your infallibility.

http://www.jonesspring.com/shop/ubolt-round/
its not wrong you idiot. It's a fact. Take that to a suspension shop and tell them that's semi round and they'll laugh you off the premises. They wrap around the leaf springs. Maybe your leaf springs are serious messed up of they're "semi round"

And here I thought all this time you actually knew what you was talking about. Guess not.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 AM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
its not wrong you idiot. It's a fact. Take that to a suspension shop and tell them that's semi round and they'll laugh you off the premises. They wrap around the leaf springs. Maybe your leaf springs are serious messed up of they're "semi round"

And here I thought all this time you actually knew what you was talking about. Guess not.
First you give an insulting response to my post, so I gave you one back. Now its name-calling, which is a little too middle school for an old guy, so I won't bother. Good night Toby.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:42 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

A few years back, I purchased parts to put a 8.8 rear in my truck. One of those, (one of these days projects).
Anyways, I measured and ordered new u-bolts from a company called General Spring. Ironically they advertise as "The Leaf Spring and Suspension Authority since 1965"
Here is a link http://www.generalspringkc.com/U_Bolts_s/1964.htm
Notice what they call a semi-round spring.
I ordered a set that I think will work with the 8.8 rear I have.
Here is a picture of the actual semi-round u-bolt
Name:  20170613_060608_zpswbkq6g3a.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  241.3 KB

Sure looks like the same one in question that the OP posted.

Now, to get to the heart of why I am posting this,

In the past, I have looked at Toby and figured that he just didnt have "good manners"
That he was trying to express his likes and dislikes or opinions on vehicles. Figured he was young and was trying to show his knowledge.
But I have changed my opinion, and I believe you are a Troll and most every post you make is aimed at ticking someone off.
Your profile shows nothing, other then you are a male in the USA. Again, a sign of a TROLL.
The internet is a great way to hide and then try to bully people that you wouldnt dare do to their face.
If your intentions are to just "stir the bucket" why dont you find a different forum that appreciates that behavior. They are out there.
I figure you are going to say that I am not a moderator, and that is correct, but hopefully a moderator will look at this post and previous post of yours and take action, especially if you dont change your attitude.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:17 AM
ragged89
All Star

He does behave like a troll sometimes, but then he's the one that ends up losing his cool in the end. Guess he doesn't have the trolling thing down quite yet, or maybe he's just mad at the world.