1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Looking for shocks that fit my 3in lifted 95 Dakotasport

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Dewii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for shocks that fit my 3in lifted 95 Dakotasport

can anyone let me know who makes shocks that will fit my 3in suspension lifted 1995 5.2 4x4 Dakotasport.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for shocks that fit my 3in lifted 95 Dakotasport-905ca333-3828-448e-991b-b6256155074e.jpeg  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Just about everyone. Any lift company will have a variety of choices for you.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Where did you find a suspension lift kit? Only thing I find is body lift, and that would not need different shocks.

But if it is a true lift kit,
1. I would check with the manufacture of the kit.
2. It that does not work, go to a site such as KYB, look up stock shocks, then go to their dimentions page, write down the mount style, length, etc. and then find one that is 3in longer.

Good luck!!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewii
can anyone let me know who makes shocks that will fit my 3in suspension lifted 1995 5.2 4x4 Dakotasport.
cranking your torsion bars and adding blocks to the back isn't a suspension lift. You don't need longer shocks for that. As the geometry of the suspension hasn't changed for the shocks really. Only where shock travel starts. It still has the same full travel limits.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
cranking your torsion bars and adding blocks to the back isn't a suspension lift. You don't need longer shocks for that. As the geometry of the suspension hasn't changed for the shocks really. Only where shock travel starts. It still has the same full travel limits.

That just is not correct for the rear. If you put 3in blocks between the spring and the axle, Then you add 3in to the distance between the rear shock mounts. You should run a 3in. longer shock or fabricate a different mount.

Hopefully the OP will post back as to what he has, ie a body lift or an actual suspension lift.

Oh, and at one time, there was a actual suspension lift, (not just torsion keys) that was available for the 1st gen dakota's

Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

That just is not correct for the rear. If you put 3in blocks between the spring and the axle, Then you add 3in to the distance between the rear shock mounts. You should run a 3in. longer shock or fabricate a different mount.

Hopefully the OP will post back as to what he has, ie a body lift or an actual suspension lift.

Oh, and at one time, there was a actual suspension lift, (not just torsion keys) that was available for the 1st gen dakota's
still really dont need the longer shocks with blocks. Theres still only so far your suspension can go.

And yes, I know here was. It was a trail master 4" lift. Since discontinued mainly because the price was around $2k. Anything else you feel like telling me I already know? Or do you just wanna cause a **** storm again?

Old 10-22-2017, 03:02 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
still really dont need the longer shocks with blocks. Theres still only so far your suspension can go.

And yes, I know here was. It was a trail master 4" lift. Since discontinued mainly because the price was around $2k. Anything else you feel like telling me I already know? Or do you just wanna cause a **** storm again?

Im not trying to tell you anything. I am correcting bad information that you , again, are throwing out there, as if you speak, and its a fact!! LOL

Again, this information is for the OP or anyone who will read this in the future and assume Toby knows what he's talking about. ROFL

According to the KYB catalog, the rear factory shock is 26.1 in long. Compressed it is 15.87 in long. Has a travel of 10.24in.

That being said, if you add 3in blocks to the rear springs, and do not change shocks or modify the mounts, you would limit travel from 10.24 to about 7in. Approximately loosing 30% of travel.

In addition to the 30% travel loss. Its going to put undue stress on the shock and the mounts everytime the suspension extends....

Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Play nice guys.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Bowdrier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I was told you can go up to 3 inches up with blocks and new torsion keys without having to change any brake lines or shocks and up to a 3 inch body lift without changing any shift cables or other non sense, hope that helps.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3 inch body lift on my 93. Stock length shocks. However procomp has a kit with torsion keys, blocks, u bolts, and either shock extenders(in the cheaper kit) or 4 brand new longer procomp shocks( more expensive) I had the procomp setup on my 2k2 Dak. Absolutely loved it. They're damn good shocks.
Here's a good rule to follow for off road shocks. With your truck fully lifted off the ground and the suspension hanging at full extension, your shock should still have one inch of extension left in it
with your suspension fully compressed and hitting the bump stops it should still have an inch that it can compressor. That's advice coming from someone with actual a.s.e. certifications.