1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Axle Shaft Not Pushing In To Remove C Clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:32 AM
briggswope04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Shaft Not Pushing In To Remove C Clip

I am trying to get my rear passenger side axle shaft replaced, and I've got the pinion shaft removed but the axle will not for the life of me push in far enough to get the c clip removed. I've tried the sledge and I've tried pushing while spinning. I've spent all night trying to get this one axle out and it's just not giving me anything. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: 2000 Durango 4.7liter 4x4

Last edited by briggswope04; 02-22-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Left out information
Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I suspect the splines twisted a bit, which they would do immediately after exiting the carrier, so you get what you got. I'm not sure how they would twist much on a domestic use vehicle. If thats it, you'll need a bigger hammer. Then once the clip is out, you'll need a 3' drift rod from the other side to get it back out again.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briggswope04
I am trying to get my rear passenger side axle shaft replaced, and I've got the pinion shaft removed but the axle will not for the life of me push in far enough to get the c clip removed. I've tried the sledge and I've tried pushing while spinning. I've spent all night trying to get this one axle out and it's just not giving me anything. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: 2000 Durango 4.7liter 4x4
Not sure. Mine literally slid with my hand. Once I pulled the chrome shaft that keeps the axles outward, mine slid right in and the C clips dropped out. My truck had 250,xxx miles when I replaced it so I don't know. Any chance it's hung up on the outer bearing? Like it's worn a groove in the shaft and it's not centered enough to go in?

Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 PM
briggswope04

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Not sure. Mine literally slid with my hand. Once I pulled the chrome shaft that keeps the axles outward, mine slid right in and the C clips dropped out. My truck had 250,xxx miles when I replaced it so I don't know. Any chance it's hung up on the outer bearing? Like it's worn a groove in the shaft and it's not centered enough to go in?
i suppose anything is possible at this point, the axle seems to move around freely which is why I’m needing to replace it, but it’s definitely hitting something as I can hear what seems to be metal to metal. I’ve tried digging the c clip off with two flathead screwdrivers and the sun of a gun won’t come out.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:47 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by briggswope04
... the axle seems to move around freely which is why I’m needing to replace it...
Define 'moves around' better. With the cross-pin still in, it should move maybe 1/8" on a push/pull at the lug ring. With the pin out, as you are expecting, it should move in 3/8" or more to get the thick c-clip out. Your problem could also be that the outer bearing (which the axle is supposed to float in), is hung up on the shaft somehow. The shaft only touches two things, the splined spider gears, and the bearing at the outer end.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Define 'moves around' better. With the cross-pin still in, it should move maybe 1/8" on a push/pull at the lug ring. With the pin out, as you are expecting, it should move in 3/8" or more to get the thick c-clip out. Your problem could also be that the outer bearing (which the axle is supposed to float in), is hung up on the shaft somehow. The shaft only touches two things, the splined spider gears, and the bearing at the outer end.
Agreed. My definition of 'moves around' is how my rear end was when I replaced it. Outer bearings and carrier bearings were shot and grabbing the tire and moving it felt like a front hub assembly had gone severely bad-that's how bad the bearings were in my rear axle. Maybe try to dig out the outer seal (without scratching the machined surface) and take a look around at the outer bearings?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 PM
briggswope04

UPDATE: Got the C Clip out after work tonight, of course the axle didn’t pull out, any other suggestions getting it out now? I don’t have much room to get the other axle out in my garage to push it out.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

Slide hammer with a hub adapter attatched to the axle.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 PM
briggswope04

Originally Posted by b1lk1
Slide hammer with a hub adapter attatched to the axle.
Spot on, had only thought about the slide hammer to get the bearing out. Luckily, I didn’t need it, I finally got that sucker out! I’ll attach some pictures once I get to my PC of the aftermath to show what kind of shape it was really in, and you might understand why it was such a chore, and maybe give someone else an idea that has this issue what their issue might be

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM
briggswope04
Talking Pics

What wheel bearings do y'all suggest? I found some National ones but it also says they do not require a seal. Input?

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Shaft Not Pushing In To Remove C Clip