1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 10:39 AM
James Jamie Soule
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parking Brake Issues

I had a lot of slack in my new to me 1983 W250 parking brake cables. My indie shop removed drums and found that the brake shoes were new as reported by seller but drums were old and one cable on one side was not hooked to parking brake hardware fitting behind drum. That being said, indie mechanic adjusted slack and reports normal cable pressure "feel" when applying parking brake but parking brake not really gripping drums to avoid truck rolling away. I have not checked with indie, but I have a feeling that he did not first adjust shoes outward until drums were locked and then backed off and then adjust cable. I have a hard time believing that he would not first do this, but then again I am often surprised when a pro overlooks a basic first step. Can anyone (giving the indie the benefit of a doubt) come up with another reason other than the above that my parking brake cannot be corrected correctly with full shoe contact with drums? I am going to call the seller to find out who did the rear brakes - perhaps brake shop messed up and did not install springs and hardware correctly? I would think the indie who just pulled drums would have noted this if this were this case -he is a 60 year old plus guy, very familiar with older trucks. Thoughts? Is this a known first gen issue? Thanks!

Old 09-26-2020, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

How is your brake pedal? No excessive travel before the brakes actually start doing something? Are the rear brakes working?

Think I might check the adjustment, and then perhaps re-adjust the e-brake.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:53 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

I would not describe a lowish pedal situation with my truck but I am willing to bet at this point the shoes have not been adjusted outward manually via the backplate slot/adjuster wheel. If this is the case, then the pro clearly does not know what he is doing - and I do feel that if so, I cannot get good rear braking contact hydraulically or mechanically when deploying parking brake. Generally speaking, this is why I prefer to do my own work versus paying for poor work. I am up to my ears in carpentry work at this time hence taking it to a shop.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

It's time, or money, you never have both at the same time.

Are the rear adjusters even free? Way too many times I have a seen lotsa new parts under the drum, but, a seized adjuster.....

Old 09-26-2020, 01:40 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's time, or money, you never have both at the same time.

Are the rear adjusters even free? Way too many times I have a seen lotsa new parts under the drum, but, a seized adjuster.....

Thats a good call, if the tech had the drums pulled and did not take the time to clean up/unseize adjusters = waste of my time and money. Those self adjusters over time get pretty funky and often do not work as you noted.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

New adjusters and adjuster cables come as a kit. Often the notches on the adjusters are worn so badly that the pawl cannot engage. Rear parking brake cables should be replaced in pairs, and check the cable running to the front as well. All of mine were toast.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:49 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Originally Posted by Xombi
New adjusters and adjuster cables come as a kit. Often the notches on the adjusters are worn so badly that the pawl cannot engage. Rear parking brake cables should be replaced in pairs, and check the cable running to the front as well. All of mine were toast.
Thanks Xombi! Btw, is there a good site for cable/adjuster kit and other for first gen trucks?

Old 09-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I got all of my brake stuff from Federated. It's a small chain that largely deals with pros. Sometimes stuff has been swapped out and it is nice to be able to go to a knowledgeable counterman and match your stuff up. If it is weird stuff the internet is too hit and miss, the money saved is time lost when you have to reorder. Always use the same counter person, as these folks are commissioned pros. Bringing coffee and doughnuts is helpful also. Give them the respect deserved.
They do make fun of the fact that I am wasting my time on a rusty dodge. But they know my name and face and will order for me. It is helpful to have OEM numbers to make their cross easier.
Do the research and make it easy for all. The Laurel Md, store, managed by Steve, has found lots of stuff for the 30 year old plus oddball cars that attract me.
Next up is my 87 Honda Wagovan. 4wd 6spd manual with a granny.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Issues