2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Huge Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM
denniseri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Dilemma

Over the past couple weeks the weather has been warm up here in the Pac NW. During this time, my '01 QC Dak has developed problems. It began with a CEL announcing a misfire. Then I started to notice the engine running a lot warmer, then I started to over heat on just my short 20 mile commute every day. Over the last few days I've been dealing with thick white smoke upon start up each morning and a really poor idle until the truck gets warm. I've been having to refill the radiator with coolant on a daily basis.

My amateur diagnosis - blown head gasket.

My dilemma- which i'm hoping the members of this forum can help me out with is this.

Should I invest in repairs or scrap the truck and focus on getting something else?

My beloved Dak has 115k... There are a few other things that make me nervous... ball joints need attention, transmission is rough when it downshifts from 3 to 2 (usually jolting the truck), some bed damage, brakes need attention...the list goes on. The interior is spotless, that's the best part.

So ya'll - what should I do? Pony up the cash for new Head Gasket and possibly the machine work necessary to repair any damage to cylinders or scrap/sell the truck and focus on something else.

I love my Dakota and it's literally been a life saver...but I'm not entirely convinced the truck is worth the cost of repair and I don't have the time to do it myself.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I understand your dilemma.

Ball joints and brakes are a normal wear item. At 115k I'm not surprised they'd need to be addressed.

Yes, it does sound like you have a bad head gasket.

All I can say is, have you priced a new car/truck yet? I know for a fact that I could never replace my Dakota with something new. I also don't want all the electronic garbage, and the problems that come with it, in a car/truck.

Take a long hard look at it and get some quotes. If you can do some of the repairs yourself you'll save a lot. Don't rule out a boneyard engine or transmission if it comes to that.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:20 PM
denniseri

Just received a call from the mechanic. Definitely blown head gasket - chemical test was positive. Mechanic quoted $3,000 parts and labor and needed the truck for 1-week. He also recommended valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket, both rear drum brakes and all brake lines need replacement. Total quote $5,500 parts and labor along with an extra week for the optional stuff.

Question: Would a $3,295 rebuilt engine be a better option versus the $3,000 head gasket repair?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Who rebuilt the engine? In most cases you get a warranty.

Oil pan gasket? Is it leaking? I'd hold off on that one. Valve cover gaskets - they SHOULD be included in the head gasket repair and NOT billed separately as he has to remove them to remove the heads.

Are you losing brake fluid?

Remember, you CAN get a second opinion.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you love it as much as you do, I vote you do an overhaul.

1) Replace the engine: It is brand new, so you get a new bill of health, it will last you another solid 150k
2) Rebuild the tranny: 115k on a dodge tranny is great, an it is due to fail soon probably
3) Do your 120k service (which actually includes reviewing and replacing brake lines on occasion)

I'll be straight with you, the bill will be in the high 4 figures. If you do a lot of it yourself it will be in the mid 4 figures (thousands in labor savings) But when it is done, you will have an almost new truck. As for bed damage... get a hammer or a scrap yard bed for cheap.

This plan is only if you are planning on keep it till the frame rusts out from underneath it. With the low miles it is still worth more then scrap. But if you don't want to see the bill just buy another Dakota.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you love the truck and you can make the arangements. fix it. just my thoughts since repair budgets are normally cheaper than a new truck payment.

i am currently having a 5.9 rebuilt at the machine shop for just under 2k. the only thing special that i did is bored it the next step up (it was 50/50, so i said screw it, had broke down and wanted done right so that i didn't have to mess with for a while. and the other thing i had them do is get the hughes heads to fix the all to well known cracking problem that the 5.2 and 5.9 dodge heads have. the hughes heads cost me $800 out of the 2k.

as for the tranny. the general thoughts are, you are lucky if you can get 160k out them . if you go to a shop, expect to hear 1500. give or take. if you do it yourself with a salvage tranny. the tranny will run around 800. but look it over REAL GOOD. different years use different electric connections.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
denniseri

Thanks for the tips guys...

If I go this route and re-invest in this truck is there anything else that I should do?

From what I'm hearing:

1) Go with the rebuilt engine. Truck was stock with the 4.7L, any reason I should upgrade? Same local shop has two rebuilt 5.9L engines each for $1,875 versus $3,295 for the 4.7L. I'd go with the 5.9L just based on price - but how do I know if it fits?

2) Rebuild transmission.

3) Replace brake lines and drum brake assemblies.

4) Replace ball joint assemblies up front.

What else should I have done to help get another 125,000 miles from it?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Don't attempt the 5.9 swap if you're trying to keep costs down.

1. The transmission is not compatible.
2. The wiring harnesses and PCM will need to be changed.

Drum brakes are not difficult to overhaul, if you feel you can do it. Changing the lines requires a lot of patience and a tubing bender, and a flare tool, but it isn't difficult.

The upper ball joints aren't bad either. The lowers can be a bear if they've never been done before.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
denniseri

Sounds like keeping the 4.7 is the way to go... Though - I called the once again and learned they have a 5.2L for $1,846. They said its a complete rebuild 'bored 30 over' . They didn't know if it would bolt into my Dak or not.

We're talking about a difference of $1,449 below the 4.7. Keep in mind - I'm not necessarily looking for more power...just trying to keep cost down and assure myself another 125,000 miles.

I have to call my shop back today and let them know what my intentions are. They'd be able to start work tomorrow... the replacement engines are here in town as well... they're talking about 2 weeks to have new engine installed, overhauled transmission, new brake lines... They weren't sure about the upper and lower ball joints - no one on their crew had experience with them.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm looking at $6500~$7000 if I purchase the 4.7 but if I can go with the 5.2 I might be able to save $1500.

Last edited by denniseri; 07-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Same problem with the 5.2.

Your transmission, PCM, and wiring harness are different. You'd have a heck of time finding a 5.2 PCM for a Dakota in '01 - they didn't exist. You can't use an earlier year either, as the computer bus is different.

Remember too, the 4.7 has coil on plug. The 5.2, 5.9, and 3.9 all are single coil and distributor. You'd also have to deal with mounting your accessories. There are differences in the various engines. It's not just a pull out the 4.7 and drop in another engine.

That $1500 can EASILY get eaten up by all the little things that need to get changed.

Quick Reply: Huge Dilemma