Flooded engine *NOW FIXED*

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded engine *NOW FIXED*

Flooded Engine

Any tips for unflooding it? I'm having a hell of a time . . . and it's 25 below zero which makes things hard.

*NEW QUESTION*

One way or another I have to get to work in the morning. How bad would it be to drive another vehicle which has no powersteering due to a blown line? It's a 2000 Pontiac GrandAm, and it'd be a maximum of 30 miles a day highway driving . . . so somewhat light on the turning.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
bone33
Record Breaker
Default RE: Flooded engine

flooded with water or gas?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where the hell are you that its -25 out...... alaska....? jesus man i hope you mean -25 with wind chill... hahaha anyways if u flooded the engine just let it sit for a few hours the fuel system should work itself out....

Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 AM
96ACR*
Veteran

-25 isnt even bad, i live in norther bc canada, about 10 hours from alaska.wait tell it gets down to the -40's, but yea let it sit plug your block heater in if you have one, hopefully you do.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie

bone33 . . .
Flooded with gas

Izero . . .
This is along the lines I was looking for. I've never had to deal with this engine getting flooded . . . so I stopped messing with trying to start it and let it sit overnight.

96ACR . . .
I wish my block heater was working . . . it stopped on me a week or so ago, but it was warm and I didn't get it fixed (lazy on my part). I live right smack in the middle of alaska and it was right around 40 below last night.

Where I'm at now . . .
I pulled the battery this morning and brought it inside to warm up and make sure it's fully charged. I found a small propane heater and set it on the battery tray with the hood propped as low as I could without resting on the heater. Threw some blankets over the hood to trap in the heat. I'm going to go out again and see if it will fire up once the engine bay warms up. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:15 PM
96ACR*
Veteran

if you have another heater of any sort, put it under the oilpan and get your oil warm before you try and start it, this will help. and it was -30 here last night, stupid wind and blowing snow!!
Also one more thing, when you get it started and if its possible get an oil pan heater installed, these work better then block heaters as they heat your oil and heat rises so it heats your engine to, just my 2 cents

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie

I think I'm going to get the works when I get the heater fixed. Just to be on the safe side.

The heater thing didn't work, the cold was too much for it to keep going and it cut out while I was inside waiting.

My last ditch effort to get it going tonight is parking my girlfriends car next to mine and filtering the exhaust under the engine with some venting duct (like for a dryer). If it doesn't fire up in the next couple hours before the temperature starts dropping again, it'll have to wait I guess. It's supposed to warm up to zero or so in the next couple days.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
96ACR*
Veteran

yea, im not sure what else to tell you, im used to starting machinery in the cold with a huge diesel heater and a big parachute to put over it, but i dont think u have one of those. lol

Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
danjmcbride
Rookie

Just curious . . .

I have access to another vehicle, but it blew it's power steering line so the powersteering is out for now. How much damage would it cause if I had to drive it for a couple days . . . 30 miles a day tops, and most of it highway driving, so it'd be somewhat light on the turning.

If it helps with an answer, it's a 2000 Pontiac GrandAm.

Again, thanks for all the help/ideas.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

if its flooded with just gas, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it for a while

how do you know its flooded with fuel anyway?

Quick Reply: Flooded engine *NOW FIXED*