2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
Got the oil changed the other day. Got Mobil 5w30 synthetic put into it. Just makin sure, but can I still dump some of my Valvoline 10w30 synthetic into it when it gets low?
Won't really hurt anything but I don't recommend it, because those different viscositys won't mix well.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Are you planning on keep the axle full width or cut it down to be close to stock width? I have all the measurements of how much you need to cut off each side to make a D44 Waggy width so you can use off the shelf axles instead of having to get custom axles made. Let me know as it is what I did with the front axle in my Jeep. And just in case you didn't know Waggy width is 61" and a TJ/XJ is 60".
Thanks for the offer. I am not cutting down the axle. These 70's f150's have a 65" WMS width, not 70+ like true full width axles. Not too much wider than stock, makes for a really nice package for trail wheelin as I am told.

I am building a 35 spline spidertrax 9" for the rear, it will be 65" wide as well. Front will get a regear to match the rear and not much else initially, then a real build later on when I get tired of breaking it.

@Tincan I will put up pics of the '69 when I pick it up.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Won't really hurt anything but I don't recommend it, because those different viscositys won't mix well.
This is completely false.

They will mix together no problem and the engine won't care one bit.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
This is completely false.

They will mix together no problem and the engine won't care one bit.
Sorry man but I'm gonna have to argue that one.

From www.chevron.com:

Can I mix different viscosity grades of motor oils?
Yes. It is always advisable to not mix motor oils, however, different viscosity grades of the same motor oil are compatible. Be aware that mixing viscosity grades will turn out a product that is different in viscosity than either what was originally in the engine or what was added.

And this from a Cadillac technician:
It's not so much "what could happen" as it is you just don't know what you end up with.
Like I said you just end up with something that has unpredicable properties.

As well, if they aren't the same API grade that could have reprecussions because of different additives.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Jigabop
Champion

in other words it ends up inbetween the two viscosities. who gives a s***?! lol it still lubricates the moving parts in the engine, and that is what it is supposed to do.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Jig. You could probably fill these engine up with WD40 and they wouldnt care.

Besides, once its warmed up its all about the same anyway.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Jigabop
Champion

i wouldn't go that far... but you get the idea.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not gone synthetic on anything..............call it a trust issue. However, the diesel's fixing to roll 250k. So Jig's, your thoughts would be appreciated (diesel or gas for the gas guys). K.

Edit: I'm doing the home work......detergents, leaks, consumption associated with full synthetic. I just don't see much feed back for long time users (pros & cons).

The diesel since the last oil change (Pennzoil 5w-30) has not been hauling (except for the 01), but as quick as the wife wraps up in NC, hope to go back to hauling/flippin vehicles. I'm looking at Pennzoil Platnum or pure plus. My diesel guy mentioned Schaeffers 5w-40 or 7000 (we have seen -6 degrees this winter). Loads around 8k. Using Fleet guard filter. Currently change every 5k.

Gassers, looking at Platnum plus or Ultra 5w-30. General transportation since December (bed loads only). Currently change every 3k.

So if anyone can give some history on Pennzoil Platnum plus or Ultra when posting in this thread for oil change I'd appreciate it. K.

Edit: Currently my Ram 2500 CTD is on 15w-40 Pennzoil Long life diesel oil (stated above in error).
Edit: Will run 10w-30 in 97

Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at a 79' Power Wagon...

Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Sorry man but I'm gonna have to argue that one.

From www.chevron.com:

Can I mix different viscosity grades of motor oils?
Yes. It is always advisable to not mix motor oils, however, different viscosity grades of the same motor oil are compatible. Be aware that mixing viscosity grades will turn out a product that is different in viscosity than either what was originally in the engine or what was added.

And this from a Cadillac technician:
It's not so much "what could happen" as it is you just don't know what you end up with.
Like I said you just end up with something that has unpredicable properties.

As well, if they aren't the same API grade that could have reprecussions because of different additives.
Whoopdy fuggin ding dong as if a high mileage magnum v8 gives a flying **** what the oil weight is that is in it. I had like 9000 miles on the cheapo house brand dino oil in my '95 with a cardboard quality filter (Fram) plus some random other crap mixed in because it leaked. 375k on the motor mind you. Didn't burn/smoke a bit. Made great oil pressure. Didn't even smell TOO burnt haha. FYI I only didn't care because of the wreck than some of you may remember.

All that study says is that if you take 4 quarts of 10w30 and add one quart of 5w30, you will end up with - drumroll......

9w30.

Just a hunch, the engine will never notice. These were not a close tolerance or high performance engine from the factory. In a new Hemi with 470hp, 8 coil packs, multiple computers and a gazillion engine management systems working together, different story.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?