2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

390 stroker with 180 degree thermostat. Has the FFDynamics Extreme fan kit. That being said, I just went out and took a look and it dawned on me that the fans are not 16 inch fans. FFDynamics sells 1 kit advertising 16 inch fans with 3000 cfm each. They also advertise the Extreme Kit with aluminum shrouds (but they don't mention fan size). I assumed the fan size was the same, but it obviously isn't. I'm going to contact them shortly to see what's up. The 14 inch fans are advertised @ 2600 CFM, which may be why cooling isn't keeping up in slow traffic.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

But they still should be enough to cool it. I don't think my fan has ever come on to cool the engine, only at startup when cold (as designed). How's the pump?

And to keep with the thread, I rotated tires and removed the old tint from my driver's window that was cloudy and bubbly (what fun). Took awhile with a razor, windex, and a torch. Getting ready for another road trip from WA to NM to Vegas and back. Gonna be hot!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
But they still should be enough to cool it. I don't think my fan has ever come on to cool the engine, only at startup when cold (as designed). How's the pump?

And to keep with the thread, I rotated tires and removed the old tint from my driver's window that was cloudy and bubbly (what fun). Took awhile with a razor, windex, and a torch. Getting ready for another road trip from WA to NM to Vegas and back. Gonna be hot!!!
A torch??????

Old 06-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Yep, had to heat up the window to loosen the glue.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Yep, had to heat up the window to loosen the glue.
Didn't have a heat gun? (I don't have one, but, I DO have a torch..... )

Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put my "new" motor in today

Old 06-20-2018, 01:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Didn't have a heat gun? (I don't have one, but, I DO have a torch..... )
Nope, just handheld torch. Same thing I use to fire the grill. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Sam Senger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

started yest and finished today... changed out the front hubs (they were originals), did front brakes and brake fluid flush (probably original too). while doing this found that i still had original tie rods, yup they're toast. Planning on doing that next week along with the front shocks and i will be good for a while. I am at 170 thousand miles. time to go give her a quick washing now.....

Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, I just rolled back home last night after taking a two week once-in-a-lifetime road trip around the western U.S. I turned 40 this year and wanted to do something unique rather than just drive back towards family that I do every year. I drove from Seattle to Billings to Colorado Springs to New Mexico where I visited my buddy's cattle ranch then on to Gallop, Flagstaff, and Vegas. From there I stayed in St. George a few days to see the Grand Canyon then north to Boise and back home. I visited big sights such as: Pikes Peak, Monument Valley, Meteor Crater, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, and Promontory Summit.

Total trip was 14 days, 10 states, and over 4000 miles. I lost the actual number of miles when my battery died the first day in St. George. But there was a shop next to the hotel so I was quickly back up and running. The truck performed like usual: smooth and reliable. I was in the middle of nowhere a lot, huffing and puffing up mountains, four wheeling on rocks and sand, and bucking head winds in 105 heat. The AC worked the entire time perfectly, the steering and suspension was just awesome, and every tank was between 15-17mpg. And I turned my personal goal of 240,000 miles on the odometer. I bought my truck June 4, 2001 with 40,840 miles on it and have always wanted to put 200k on it. And it finally happened.

I must say the drivetrain is really tired. The engine feels good still but it was so hard to keep up with traffic. It cruises wonderfully at 70 but most speed limits are 75 or 80 now. The gearing just can't do it. With my 33s, I am effectively running a 3.29 gearing since 2010 when I first put the lift and 33s on. That means more than half of the 240k has pushed that ratio. The trans, or rear end or transfer case is sloppy and has a bad vibration over 70. There's also a random "slip" somewhere when taking off at low torque. Not sure if it's the clutch or rear end. Only way to know is to start throwing major parts to it. I would love to just order a complete drivetrain to swap in!!! Let's see, engine is 2-4k, trans is 1-2k, TC is 1k, axles are 3k. That's at least 10k to replace everything.

Oh there's just so much I could write plus I have tons of pictures but I can never get them posted on a forum. I don't know why it is so difficult as I create visual arts for work using several computers and programs. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to share my trip in a new thread with you all.

Some interesting things: lots of 4th gens, newer chevies, and fords as usual. Not nearly as many Cummins in the southwest as across Montana and SD. Only saw about 10 new Titans (growing on me) and I saw 5 new 5th gens. The car brand that America is driving the most? Nissan. Yep, Nissans were everywhere!!! Either they are the only rental company brand left, or people are buying them in droves. All across I-40 and especially at the landmarks one in five vehicles was a new Nissan. Very weird.

So the trip was bittersweet as I have driven my truck for the past 17 years every day of my life but I realize she's nearing the end. Putting 200k on any vehicle is incredible but a big, slow, truck from the 90s that isn't diesel is quite an achievement. I absolutely love my truck and have done everything to it myself but I really think it is time to make a decision whether to completely replace the drivetrain and have it repainted (15-20K for all that) or get something newer. Trouble is, I look at used trucks all the time and have rarely found anything to turn my crank (except Cummins 6spd which I could never afford). I have to force myself to like something and then the idea of going into debt again makes me ill. I'm really trying to stay with Ram (09-16) but open to other brands too. It's like trying to replace your perfect wife!

Thanks for reading and I'll try to figure out pics for a new thread.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Well, I just rolled back home last night after taking a two week once-in-a-lifetime road trip around the western U.S. I turned 40 this year and wanted to do something unique rather than just drive back towards family that I do every year. I drove from Seattle to Billings to Colorado Springs to New Mexico where I visited my buddy's cattle ranch then on to Gallop, Flagstaff, and Vegas. From there I stayed in St. George a few days to see the Grand Canyon then north to Boise and back home. I visited big sights such as: Pikes Peak, Monument Valley, Meteor Crater, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, and Promontory Summit.

Total trip was 14 days, 10 states, and over 4000 miles. I lost the actual number of miles when my battery died the first day in St. George. But there was a shop next to the hotel so I was quickly back up and running. The truck performed like usual: smooth and reliable. I was in the middle of nowhere a lot, huffing and puffing up mountains, four wheeling on rocks and sand, and bucking head winds in 105 heat. The AC worked the entire time perfectly, the steering and suspension was just awesome, and every tank was between 15-17mpg. And I turned my personal goal of 240,000 miles on the odometer. I bought my truck June 4, 2001 with 40,840 miles on it and have always wanted to put 200k on it. And it finally happened.

I must say the drivetrain is really tired. The engine feels good still but it was so hard to keep up with traffic. It cruises wonderfully at 70 but most speed limits are 75 or 80 now. The gearing just can't do it. With my 33s, I am effectively running a 3.29 gearing since 2010 when I first put the lift and 33s on. That means more than half of the 240k has pushed that ratio. The trans, or rear end or transfer case is sloppy and has a bad vibration over 70. There's also a random "slip" somewhere when taking off at low torque. Not sure if it's the clutch or rear end. Only way to know is to start throwing major parts to it. I would love to just order a complete drivetrain to swap in!!! Let's see, engine is 2-4k, trans is 1-2k, TC is 1k, axles are 3k. That's at least 10k to replace everything.

Oh there's just so much I could write plus I have tons of pictures but I can never get them posted on a forum. I don't know why it is so difficult as I create visual arts for work using several computers and programs. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to share my trip in a new thread with you all.

Some interesting things: lots of 4th gens, newer chevies, and fords as usual. Not nearly as many Cummins in the southwest as across Montana and SD. Only saw about 10 new Titans (growing on me) and I saw 5 new 5th gens. The car brand that America is driving the most? Nissan. Yep, Nissans were everywhere!!! Either they are the only rental company brand left, or people are buying them in droves. All across I-40 and especially at the landmarks one in five vehicles was a new Nissan. Very weird.

So the trip was bittersweet as I have driven my truck for the past 17 years every day of my life but I realize she's nearing the end. Putting 200k on any vehicle is incredible but a big, slow, truck from the 90s that isn't diesel is quite an achievement. I absolutely love my truck and have done everything to it myself but I really think it is time to make a decision whether to completely replace the drivetrain and have it repainted (15-20K for all that) or get something newer. Trouble is, I look at used trucks all the time and have rarely found anything to turn my crank (except Cummins 6spd which I could never afford). I have to force myself to like something and then the idea of going into debt again makes me ill. I'm really trying to stay with Ram (09-16) but open to other brands too. It's like trying to replace your perfect wife!

Thanks for reading and I'll try to figure out pics for a new thread.
I'll sell you a 12V auto or a 24V 6spd cheap. Both come with transfer cases. Or if you want the 12V 6spd I'll do that to. I took them out of my truck an have no use for them. I'll sell them cheap to

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?