2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Actually, I think they all use the same box.......
Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, everything's the same from 94-02 across Dodge: the old Saginaw box. I may do a different pump this spring with new hoses and original PS oil. I have ATF in there now per Redhead's recommendations.

Trouble is, there's no new pumps out there. Everything is a remanufactured POS. I used to work with industrial pumping systems and the vanes need to be replaced to rebuild a pump, not just seals. Ever seen a rebuild kit with vanes? Nope. Just seals. And that won't do it. So it doesn't matter what brand you get: Autozone or Redhead. They are all crap.
Only reason I said that is because RedHead lists two different boxes, one for the 1500, one for the 2500/3500

Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Only reason I said that is because RedHead lists two different boxes, one for the 1500, one for the 2500/3500
The difference is steering ratio. One of 'em has a slightly quicker ratio. I think the 1500's get those, but, won't swear to it.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The difference is steering ratio. One of 'em has a slightly quicker ratio. I think the 1500's get those, but, won't swear to it.
That makes sense. They just said one has a bigger case. I don't know either just putting it out there

Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

No, they are the same. The "heavier duty" version has 18 to 1 ratio that's it.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No, they are the same. The "heavier duty" version has 18 to 1 ratio that's it.
Well that's good to know

Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

In my constant struggle with the steering, I finally swapped out the power steering ATF for real oil. Per Redhead's recommendation I used ATF initially but I wanted to get it back to Dodge spec, maybe even solve some of my issues with steering and dead (no return) feel. After swapping fluid, I did a ton of lock-to-lock turns with engine off to purge but it kept sucking in air somewhere. At least that's what it sounds like. When hard to the left, if I hold it there, there's a gurgling noise. Then all the way to the right the oil wants to pump out of the reservoir. It did this every time. After wearing myself out, I dropped the truck, threw the belt on, and went for a spin. The return is much better than before. Real PS oil is thicker than ATF and I think it has more force then? Anyway, the pump is still noisy but it feels better in the hand. The stupid pump was always leaking ATF from the pressure port so we'll see if it still leaks. I removed both lines and reinstalled. To flush, I capped the return port and used the return hose from the cooler to dump into a pan. It's still a little pink but I got most of the ATF out.

Did I get all the air out? Who knows. My arms are tired. Why does it always push oil going right? The ATF did that too. Who knows. Why does it always leak? I've reinstalled the pressure hose three times now. Why is there a weird sucking noise going left? Who knows. Why is it so hard to get good/stock steering? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

Stay tuned for another episode of:
AS THE WHEEL TURNS........

Old 01-28-2019, 09:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

In my constant struggle with the steering, I finally swapped out the power steering ATF for real oil. Per Redhead's recommendation I used ATF initially but I wanted to get it back to Dodge spec, maybe even solve some of my issues with steering and dead (no return) feel. After swapping fluid, I did a ton of lock-to-lock turns with engine off to purge but it kept sucking in air somewhere. At least that's what it sounds like. When hard to the left, if I hold it there, there's a gurgling noise. Then all the way to the right the oil wants to pump out of the reservoir. It did this every time. After wearing myself out, I dropped the truck, threw the belt on, and went for a spin. The return is much better than before. Real PS oil is thicker than ATF and I think it has more force then? Anyway, the pump is still noisy but it feels better in the hand. The stupid pump was always leaking ATF from the pressure port so we'll see if it still leaks. I removed both lines and reinstalled. To flush, I capped the return port and used the return hose from the cooler to dump into a pan. It's still a little pink but I got most of the ATF out.

Did I get all the air out? Who knows. My arms are tired. Why does it always push oil going right? The ATF did that too. Who knows. Why does it always leak? I've reinstalled the pressure hose three times now. Why is there a weird sucking noise going left? Who knows. Why is it so hard to get good/stock steering? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

Stay tuned for another episode of:
AS THE WHEEL TURNS........
See I did the opposite. You need to figure out where it is leaking. Probably is sucking air when you turn left then to much pressure when you turn right which is causing it to overflow. Do the rubber hoses look ok?

Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got my Hemifever tune installed and lovin' it so far. Right now I have 87 oct in the tank and have tried the 87 and 89 tuning settings. I didn't notice a lot of difference with the 87 tune, but the 89 has woke my truck from it's sleep. Not only is the power improved, it got rid of what I always felt were unnecessary downshifts at certain speeds/rpm's that felt like it was bogging the truck down instead of just getting up and going. It feels like what I would have expected a v10 to do all along. Can't wait to empty the tank (shouldn't take long) and play around with some other settings. All I can say is it was money well spent. Thanks Hemifever!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:05 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed the plenum in the beater truck and installed a timing kit that I had laying around. Didn't do an aluminum plate, just shortened the bolts and kept the stock steel plate. Time will tell if it holds up or not. Also did some valve stem seals and valve cover gaskets cause they were leaking pretty bad.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSuhr
Fixed the plenum in the beater truck and installed a timing kit that I had laying around. Didn't do an aluminum plate, just shortened the bolts and kept the stock steel plate. Time will tell if it holds up or not. Also did some valve stem seals and valve cover gaskets cause they were leaking pretty bad.

Did you do a rear diff swap in the beater truck?

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?