2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 03:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
Ok, today I trimmed the edges of the headliner (that I covered last weekend), and opened the holes.
I also went around the edge and superglued anywhere the backer itself had started to delaminate (mostly on the corners).
Then the install... it went back in easier than I remember it coming out.
The added thickness from the insulation wasn’t an issue, but it was noticeable... it wouldn’t want to be any thicker.

Looks good!

Old 09-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Looks good!
Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than what came out.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:54 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than what came out.
In the pics it looks factory

Old 09-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Today I put in the overhead console and pillar gauge pod in... the visors have to wait until I recover them.

I changed the loom connectors for gauges from a 4Pin and a 2pin to a smaller single 6pin.
In the process wires touched and there was a small spark (just audible, not visible)... I figured worst case I blew a fuse.
And wouldn’t you know it, power up and no radio or pod gauges.
Ok, change the radio fuse (it looked good) still nothing... check all the other fuses and they all look good.
So, thinking on this more, the only wire that should have been hot (ignition off) is the radio power supply (that’s what’s tapped to power the pod gauges).
Where else is that circuit fused other than the side of the dash?

Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Today I put in the overhead console and pillar gauge pod in... the visors have to wait until I recover them.

I changed the loom connectors for gauges from a 4Pin and a 2pin to a smaller single 6pin.
In the process wires touched and there was a small spark (just audible, not visible)... I figured worst case I blew a fuse.
And wouldn’t you know it, power up and no radio or pod gauges.
Ok, change the radio fuse (it looked good) still nothing... check all the other fuses and they all look good.
So, thinking on this more, the only wire that should have been hot (ignition off) is the radio power supply (that’s what’s tapped to power the pod gauges).
Where else is that circuit fused other than the side of the dash?
How did that pillar gauge fit? My 96 had glow shift one installed and it didn't fit right. What do you mean by pins? Did you add a connector? I do believe there is a radio fuse in the PDC and the radio also gets power from the IOD fuse in pretty sure. Also if it's aftermarket radio there is a fuse on the back of it also

Old 09-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
How did that pillar gauge fit? My 96 had glow shift one installed and it didn't fit right. What do you mean by pins? Did you add a connector? I do believe there is a radio fuse in the PDC and the radio also gets power from the IOD fuse in pretty sure. Also if it's aftermarket radio there is a fuse on the back of it also
No problem with fit for me... mine’s GlowShift in a 98.
Mind you, I cut a section of the standard pillar cover around the clips and bonded that into the back of the GlowShift pod.

Ok, so it’s battery, IOD fuse (engine bay), Radio fuse end of dash), and radio fuse (on the radio).
I tapped the pod gauge power supply into the aftermarket radio harness adapter, so the fuse on the radio is down stream from that, so it shouldn’t have blown.
I changed the radio fuse at the end of the dash, so that leaves the IOD fuse.
I would have expected the IOD fuse to be higher rating than the radio fuse, meaning the radio fuse should go first.
And if the IOD fuse went, wouldn’t there be more than just the radio that doesn’t work?

Old 09-06-2020, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

IOD also powers things like dome lights, and radio memory. It doesn't directly power the radio. Just some fairly light-duty stuff. It's in the fuse block on the side of the dash, and has a little cover over it, so, it really doesn't look like a fuse.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:39 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
IOD also powers things like dome lights, and radio memory. It doesn't directly power the radio. Just some fairly light-duty stuff. It's in the fuse block on the side of the dash, and has a little cover over it, so, it really doesn't look like a fuse.
I didn’t check if the dome light was out...
Should the radio work without keep alive power?... just loose memory when turned off?

Old 09-06-2020, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I didn’t check if the dome light was out...
Should the radio work without keep alive power?... just loose memory when turned off?
That varies..... Some will, some won't....... I try not and act surprised either way.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No problem with fit for me... mine’s GlowShift in a 98.
Mind you, I cut a section of the standard pillar cover around the clips and bonded that into the back of the GlowShift pod.

Ok, so it’s battery, IOD fuse (engine bay), Radio fuse end of dash), and radio fuse (on the radio).
I tapped the pod gauge power supply into the aftermarket radio harness adapter, so the fuse on the radio is down stream from that, so it shouldn’t have blown.
I changed the radio fuse at the end of the dash, so that leaves the IOD fuse.
I would have expected the IOD fuse to be higher rating than the radio fuse, meaning the radio fuse should go first.
And if the IOD fuse went, wouldn’t there be more than just the radio that doesn’t work?
Off subject that did you use to bond it? So you moved the factory clips on the pillar and put them on the Glow shift one?

Those are the only ones I know that the radio gets power from

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?