2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Hylander7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you run it a bit, I would atleast run a compression check on #7-8
I like stock manifolds, much better for changing plug wires.
My last truck had JBA headers and a few plugs were a bear to get to.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
I didnt do a test, after seeing the plugs I wanted to but ran short of time and a ride to work for the tester. Have time on Sun and Mon and I may test a couple of them then.

Thought Id throw in some pics I took with the plug ones.

Pic of #5 plug wire with plastic burned on, they were "SpiralMax 7mm"(little blur).

New wires, I really like how much area I have to grab on these, easy removal.

Crap waiting to go, hate seeing it sit there.. Wife yells at me cause its been sitting on her quad for "too long"..

edit: was looking at that pic and realized, my coil wire isnt right, arrgh!
Also may wanna trade off that bosch O2 sensor for a better brand. (NTK, or Denso) Our trucks don't really care for the bosch sensors.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Nereaga
Captain

I see a fram oil filter on there... Might want to change brands on that next oil change, just an observation... Fram oil filters are pretty much garbage... I can't find the link to the video right now, i'll try and find it

Other than that, nice work on giving the truck some TLC!

Brad

Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Did some work on the truck yesterday, one bone-headed move is going to cost me a new p/s pump I think though

Did idler and tensioner pulleys, when doing the tensioner pulley, I tried to see if it would break loose with the belt on, I think I hurt the p/s pump bearings, getting some squeeking now from it.

Sway bar links were shot, and truck pulled to the left slightly when stopping, replaced those and it seems to have helped, need new front shocks pretty bad and they may be the cause of the little bit of wandering while braking that still there.

Also did the Accel plug wires from my kit per tsb and Champion plugs, and brother it sure did need it. No idea when they were done last, from what I can tell in the paperwork I have the previous owner stopped maintaining it around 2004. I think the plenum has been blown since I have owned the truck(08, ~18K by me), and I have had all parts needed for the repair for like 5 months, except the new Magnaflow cat, just no time right now.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7 .. #8 was like 7 but the insulator around the electrode was cracked exactly in half and missing one half. Took it to work to show my boss so it is mia in the picture. The coil post and the coil wire elbow were rusted up, cleaned up the post with sandpaper and greased it. #5 wire was melted to its plastic cover in one spot.

Closer shot of #7

Truck runs ALOT better, got some much needed power back, and hope to get some mpgs. Plenum, cap and rotor, O2 sensor etc will hopefully make another big improvement when I get the time.

Topped up my windshield washer and did my headlights with dry 2000 grit and some Plastx, major difference!

I really hate to be the bearer of possible bad news.....but checking compression on #8 is probably real important. If a piece of the
porcelain breaks off, there are not too many places it can go....OK, there is only one place it can go, and it is not a good place. Porcelain is used because it doesn't burn up. It drops into combustion chamber and has the potential to create a very ugly condition. Checking compression could determine if any significant damage has been caused.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:30 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally got some pics of the ballast box i made. its not completely finished yet, still gotta get some implement clips to hold a couple shovels.

Name:  IMG_20120217_162334.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  391.9 KBName:  IMG_20120217_162413.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  311.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20120217_162355.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  391.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20120217_162346.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  254.8 KB\

ignore the broken back window. its been like that since i bought it.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove it to town, that's about it.

Spent most of the day helping the bro in law put a new transmission in a Chevy 1500 z71. It all went pretty good!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
=XE=Kong

I cleaned out a birds nest from behind my alternator. It has been there since I drove it off the lot last August.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fixed up ATF and coolant leaks... still gotta get after the rear main seal, rear diff, and front CAD leaks. This is what I get for bragging that it had no leaks when I bought it. Rear diff will wait until I do the big dash/bezel/radio/heater core/gauges job, rear main won't.

Good thing I actually wanted a used truck when I bought the thing!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

K&N EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  258.7 KB

Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looked at it and disgusted at all the new rust spots from winter ! Can't wait till its warm to detail this truck !

Thinking about getting some fukken wax !

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?