2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That'd be a mistake for the roads I drive most. I'm not a flatlander.
They do make a fog variant....
Originally Posted by stewie01
Probably wouldn't hurt. Think you can get MagnaFlow High Flow Cats for a little north of that price.
I was going to do the direct-fit cat until I saw the price. lol
I don't even remember the brand of the cat I was looking at, but it was a cat. lol
I guess the cat won't cost as much as the timing set and since the timing cover isn't leaking super bad right now, I can hold off on it a little longer.
Originally Posted by cruzer55
Dodgedude,it's always do the most time consuming job first then the rest flys by.Just a thought.............
....?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Later today I'm gunna be able to test out a Superchips tuner for my dodge,(few days) came off another 2nd gen dodge. Will just trying it out hurt my truck and do I need to remove the negative battery terminal before I put in the tuner?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the chip, but you definitely need to disconnect the the battery before messing around with any of the electronics.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram It Hard
Will just trying it out hurt my truck and do I need to remove the negative battery terminal before I put in the tuner?
If your OBD-II connector isn't hosed up and so presenting the opportunity for a failed upload, the Superchips tuner won't hurt anything. And no, you do not remove the negative battery terminal -- the tuner needs power to operate, and the PCM does, too. Before uploading a new tune to your PCM, the Superchips tuner will download and store the existing tune so it can be restored later.

Just to be on the safe side, don't push, pull, wiggle, or jar the OBD-II plug while the tuner is hooked up.

If the stock tune was not restored to the other truck, the Superchips tuner will be VIN locked to that truck and won't do anything for you. You'll know it if that happens because it'll tell you.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Amazon Amazon
This is the cat I am looking at. And that has gone up by $20 since I looked at it in June.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I tried out the tuner. Says its VIN locked when I plugged it in. Gave performance and 87 mode a try, didn't notice too much get up and go but it did give me longer shift points. Still have towing performance mode to try out but will use it later.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still have towing performance mode to try out but will use it later.
I leave mine on the towing tune all the time, and find it to be a nice balance between zip and economy. On flat ground with no wind, unladen, I get just shy of 16MPG cruising at 65MPH. Not all of that is due to the tune.

Truth be told, I only bought the Superchips because they said it could be used to calibrate for tire size, but on my early '98 it won't. I'd have gone with an SCT from hemifever if I'd known that. I might yet, just to get rid of the torque management that my transmission doesn't need.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Yep my tuner gave me the option for changing tire sizes too and a few other adds. The tuner I'm using is for 98-03 Dodge/Chrysler trucks 5.2,5.9, and 3.6. Can also be used for 4.7 and 5.7 Hemi's.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

installed led 194 bulbs in my cab lights, for a future strobe light use. just need to purchase an led flasher, and some better quality led bulbs. bought the led's on ebay, NEVER WILL AGAIN! 5 out of the 10 i bought came NON FUNCTIONING!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried out the tuner. Says its VIN locked when I plugged it in. Gave performance and 87 mode a try, didn't notice too much get up and go but it did give me longer shift points. Still have towing performance mode to try out but will use it later.
Yep my tuner gave me the option for changing tire sizes too and a few other adds. The tuner I'm using is for 98-03 Dodge/Chrysler trucks 5.2,5.9, and 3.6. Can also be used for 4.7 and 5.7 Hemi's.

If it is VIN locked, it should not have loaded anything......

Changing tire size (at least in a 99) is a function of RAWL controller (according to FSM). Which explains why most tuners don't do it...Maybe superchips can comm to RAWL module...

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?