2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty decent song:

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Took my four wheeler in last week to the dealer to have it overhauled. They called me back today with a $1300 bill.. Ouch...
4 wheelers are expensive things to work on. That's why I never did work on them lol.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Anyone know about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-2500-SLT-Laramie-11-SECOND-STREET-TRUCK-FEATURED-in-DIESEL-WORLD-11-09-DIESEL-POWER-12-11-/281301607841?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417ee1e5a1&item=281301607841&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Me want this bad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-3500-Laramie-SLT-Quad-Cab-V10-Magnum-8-0-liter-76-K-miles-4x4-Dually-1-Ton-Laramie-SLT-/281302126984?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417ee9d188&item=281302126984&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
If I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

11 second street truck? Don't expect the reserve on that to be less than 20K.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ This on first one. Truck sounds familiar and ponies sound about 140 high for a Hot rod pump even even with the head studs and bigger injectors he had to omitt (to be adequate as a street truck), along with at least a 62mm turbo, 3k gov springs, nothing about a tranny for that many ponies (probably Garmon). Nice truck though.

Second one looks to be a jewel, but about 3k high. K.

Last edited by tincan57; 04-07-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: street truck
Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Took my four wheeler in last week to the dealer to have it overhauled. They called me back today with a $1300 bill.. Ouch...
Originally Posted by aofarrell2
4 wheelers are expensive things to work on. That's why I never did work on them lol.

And that is one of the many reasons I own a 2-stroke dirtbike.

cost me all of $300 to rebuild the entire engine! new gaskets, new crank bearings, new piston, pin, clips, rings, plug, reed cage and reeds... runs like a brand new motor!

and dirt bikes are so much simpler. Less wheels, less parts, less stuff in the way, and being 2-stroke instead of 4-stroke = much simpler motor with less moving parts and less to go wrong. costs me a new piston every 3 years. big deal! lol that's like $120 and they really aren't hard to put in.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Jigabop
Champion

went out and got me an abrasive blaster (aka sand-blaster) over the weekend, a cart to put it on and wheel it around the shop, a couple cheap magnetic LED lights for inside the cabinet, and some fine walnut blasting media.

Got it all from harbor freight for under $250 out the door. I did have to modify the gun on the blaster because it is cheap chineseum and prone to frequent and immediate clogging. So I did a quick search and found a tip online that worked perfectly... inside the gun behind the ceramic nozzle is a bronze air fitting inside the gun nozzle that goes over the media port to guide air past it to cause a suction for the media.

the problem is, there is so little clearance between the fitting and the media port that media jams up under the fitting and doesn't exit the ceramic nozzle.

the fix is to take out the bronze tip, and grind one side flat and close to the hole in the center without grinding into the hole as you don't want the hole to leak air. then position the tip back in the gun so the flat spot is over the media port which gives a lot of extra clearance for media to exit the port into the ceramic nozzle. no more gun clogs!!!

3 seconds of grinding sure saves the cost of a new gun because of a design flaw.

I still need to get a dust collector vacuum for it (basically a shop vac that takes vacuum bags) so for now I have the ports covered with damp rags taped over them with masking tape.

Name:  20140407_101301_zps514b802d.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  126.2 KB
Name:  20140407_101353_zpsf847459c.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  20140407_101409_zps1d757015.jpg
Size:  141.7 KB
Name:  20140407_101625_zps3c9a4fcd.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  83.9 KB
Name:  20140407_101658_zps98af9431.jpg
Size:  139.1 KB

I pretty much got the thing for cleaning my silencer lol

you would not believe what a PITA it is to clean silencer baffles. They get caked up with lead and powder which degrades their performance as it builds up.

here is a before pic after I took the suppressor apart after about 1500rds through it.

Name:  20140330_170748_zps699e9a34.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB

and after fixing and using the blaster for a little bit. didn't have too much time to play with it as my little one turned 4 on Sunday and had to meet with GF's family in the center of the state for her birthday party. I should be able to get them quite a bit cleaner after I get more time to blast them.

progress so far:

the cleanest are also the front baffles which get the least amount of buildup on them.

Name:  20140407_101450_zps109eddf2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  140.3 KB
Name:  20140407_101500_zpsba90d040.jpg
Size:  158.2 KB
Name:  20140407_101509_zps6bdb5144.jpg
Size:  174.8 KB
Name:  20140407_101521_zps1b28c1fc.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  168.7 KB
Name:  20140407_101558_zps6e1ccfcf.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  181.2 KB

Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I thought suppressors were illegal?

Yeah, my blast cabinet is bit bigger, and came with a light in it. It is also a harbor freight piece, that I picked up used for 50 bucks. Including a nice wooden stand to set it on. (I initially went there to get the press he had on craigslist. That was just a bonus.) I LOVE that thing. Cleans stuff up rather quickly.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

From wikipedia:

In the United States, taxes and strict regulations affect the manufacture and sale of suppressors under the National Firearms Act. They are legal for individuals to possess and use for lawful purposes in 39 of the 50 states.[32] However, a prospective user must go through an application process administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which requires a federal tax payment of $200 and a thorough criminal background check. The tax payment buys a revenue stamp, which is the legal document allowing possession of a suppressor. The following jurisdictions have explicitly banned any civilian from possessing a suppressor: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont,[33] and the District of Columbia. The federal legal requirements to manufacture a suppressor in the United States are enumerated in Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code.[34] The individual states and several municipalities also have their specific requirements. Federal law provides severe penalties for crimes of violence committed using firearms equipped with silencers: a minimum prison sentence of 30 years.
I just got home after checking out another fire. This time it was burning down a shed right next to a house,IDK if the house caught fire or not. The fire department was there already so I moved on.Always check though. Three tankers, two fire volunteer trucks,an ambulance, and two pumping trucks. Damn you could see that smoke from every city in sight.

Had another fire in the town five mi south of me.

So for now I am strictly avoiding mowing etc. to avoid causing a spark. All chances of rain have absolutely disappeared for the whole week. And it's over 70* outside with a dry warm south wind again...

I got up last night in the middle of the night to check everything outside and to scan the horizon for fires. I'll do the same again tonight. Simply can't risk it.We just don't have fires popping up like this around here. Most of the fire departments are quite busy.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I thought suppressors were illegal?

Yeah, my blast cabinet is bit bigger, and came with a light in it. It is also a harbor freight piece, that I picked up used for 50 bucks. Including a nice wooden stand to set it on. (I initially went there to get the press he had on craigslist. That was just a bonus.) I LOVE that thing. Cleans stuff up rather quickly.
Illegal? maybe in YOUR state

They are a NFA controlled item, however they are not illegal if you go through the proper process of buying or building them legally.

you need a NFA tax stamp from the BATFE on either a form 1 (for those that want to build one. tax stamp must be approved and in your possession PRIOR to building the suppressor or any parts of the suppressor. Suppressor must also be engraved with a serial) or a form 4 (already made suppressor being transferred)

you can file your form 1 or form 4 using 1 of three different methods:

1. file as an individual: submit fingerprints, photo of yourself, get CLEO sign-off and submit. Means you need sheriff or police chief to sign off on your form and you gotta submit prints and photos and personal info, and then if you die without someone else jumping through the hoops to transfer the suppressor or other NFA item, it must be destroyed immediately.

2. Trust: you can form a revokable living trust and the suppressor will belong to the trust and controlled by the trustee(s) named in the trust. you may appoint a successor in the trust as well so should you die, the successor could legally posses the NFA item(s) that belong to the trust.

No fingerprints, no pictures, no CLEO signoff required for this method, and as of recently is now allowed to be e-filed for speedier processing and returning.

3. Corporation: you can form a corporation, or register the NFA item to a corporation you own or are a part of, and anyone in said corporation would be authorized to use the item as it would be a corporate asset. however should the corp go under or fail to renew their business license, etc... the NFA item(s) must be immediately destroyed.

This method also requires no fingerprints, photos, or CLEO sign-off.

I went with the trust method as it is quicker, easier, and better in the long run. Got my $200 tax stamp back in 2009 for my silencer and got it out of NFA jail in 2009

(I bought my silencer so I did a form 4, which means you pay for the silencer, they put the name, serial, etc on the form 4 and submit that with the trust to the BATFE, and they lock that particular silencer up in their safe until the approved tax stamp comes back. (took 3 months back then, but apparently taking up to 11 months now a days) then when the stamp comes in they call you up and tell you that you can come get it, and get the silencer out of the safe and hand it over along with your stamped form 4.

I suppose there are technically 4 methods... you could become a FFL + NFA dealer and then be allowed to have/use dealer samples.

Other examples of NFA items:

Short barreled rifles
short barreled shotguns
destruction devices
(like a DAO-12, street sweeper, etc)
machine guns (any automatic weapon): only machine guns registered before 1986 are transferable under NFA regulations. This is why they are so damn expensive, because they are a rare item. example: a M16 lower, RDIAS (Registered Drop-In Auto Sear) or lightning link goes for about $25k-35k due to their flexibility because they are compatible with AR-15 parts and can turn an AR-15 into a legal full auto weapon
silencers
pistols with forward vertical grips

probably others I'm missing, but you get the point.

So as long as the NFA item is legal in your state, you can legally obtain it

SBR's will be legal in my state on june 12th we literally just passed that law in our local house/senate and gov signed it

short barrel shotguns and machine guns are illegal in my state, but legal in the two bordering states (ID and OR) silencers were illegal to use before 2011 I think in this state, but we got that one legal too lol. we had a loophole that they were legal to own but not use which is how I got mine before it was passed to be legal.

enough about that crap.... btw nice find!! $50 for a blast cabinet is a great price! mine was like 109 or 119 new but didn't come with a light or stand. so $3 for lights and $50 for a cart on wheels big enough to hold it, and $25 for walnut shell media. not too bad I think.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread