2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the note of suppressors, in Europe, if you have a high powered rifle, it is severely frowned upon to NOT have a suppressor on it. Their logic is: You don't run around without a muffler on your car? And a rifle is louder then your car, so suppress the noise.

Our society sees suppressors as that magical device that "silences" the gun, when in actuality, it doesn't "silence" anything, it dampens the noise produced by the round being fired. That's all. You can still hear the round go off most times, it's just much quieter.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

From an article easily found online:

Reid will use the background check bill produced by the Senate Judiciary Committee as a starter. That bill, sponsored by Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), includes a provision that requires records to be kept of all gun sales in the nation.
Not sure if that particular bit is included in the current bill..... And yes, there is law that specifically bans what amounts to a 'gun-owner registry', but, when has something being illegal ever stopped our government from passing the law anyway?

In all reality, it looks like they are going to have trouble getting the current bill thru the senate in any event..... So, my guess is, it doesn't stand a chance in the house.

Also, there have been several studies that have found that background checks have absolutely zero affect on violent crime. Including one done by the National Academy of Sciences........

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3002152]From an article easily found online:

Not sure if that particular bit is included in the current bill..... And yes, there is law that specifically bans what amounts to a 'gun-owner registry', but, when has something being illegal ever stopped our government from passing the law anyway?

In all reality, it looks like they are going to have trouble getting the current bill thru the senate in any event..... So, my guess is, it doesn't stand a chance in the house.

Also, there have been several studies that have found that background checks have absolutely zero affect on violent crime. Including one done by the National Academy of Sciences........[/QUOTE]

There is no effect that can be shown, as denial of sales leaves no data to study, therefore, zero effect. And it is looking for specific causal effects, which there is no cause/effect comparison. What it does do is make those people that have a record participate in theft of firearms or straw purchases, both illegal, and both shown to have adverse effects to safety...ie...violence.

And the Schumer bill has no such language in it. (yes, I have read the bill...) http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...LS-113s2is.pdf

"...since the enactment of the Brady Handgun ViolencePrevention Act (Public Law 103–159; 107 Stat. 1536) in 1993, over 100,000,000background checks have been performed by Federal firearms licensees, denyingguns to more than 1,600,000 illegal buyers;"

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...S-113s22is.pdf

If this was an easy problem to solve, it would have been done years ago. But having politicians attempt to resolve it is nearly futile. The resorting to name calling and yelling won't do it either, and that is what some politicians are wanting..... I have 5 grandkids living near the Texas-Mexico border, and I fear gun violence, which is intrinsically tied to narco trafficking, places them in danger every day. Drugs come north, and money and guns go south.....

Last edited by gdstock; 04-16-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/tai...html?hpt=hp_t1

Envelope mailed to Senator tests positive for Ricin.

Something is going on folks.....

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm interesting. Maybe I'll switch back to conventional for my next change. I haven't noticed any problems at all but my engine is still fairly low mileage.

Anyways my idiot moments...

Forgetting to tighten lug nuts after lowering my jeep (they were only spun on with a tire iron)

I dropped my trans pan and valve body to modify it last fall. I assumed six quarts would be enough to put back in. Um no. It was 9.5. Needless to say my ram didn't much like being driven down the road and back 3 quarts low...

Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM
stewie01
Legend

Sadly I've got one from today

Changed my oil a few months back, kinda forgot that I have a leaky timing cover seal (seal around harmonic balancer shaft). Was out checking on a customer and I thought I heard a knocking kinda noise.

Went to the gas station to get lawn mower gas and the oil pressure gauge hit 0 for a second, than back up to around 40.

Checked oil when got I home and sure enough there isn't any to read on the dip stick

Dumbass

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Please take a closer look at those statistics. They are woefully inaccurate. (on background checks.) Those are even more inflated that other claims I have seen. Have read Here. One of the significant lines from the article:

Even Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged that the statistic may not be accurate....

Violent crime did not significantly decrease after the enactment of the brady bill. Granted, violent crime has been trending downward for the last decade or so, (including gun violence), but, that trend continued even after the expiration of the brady bill.

90% or better of mass-shootings happen in gun-free zones.
95% or better of the shooters have a history of mental illness.
90% or better of the shooters acquired their weapons legally. Including a background check.
The weapons the fed wants to ban, are used in less than 1% of gun crime.
Limiting magazine capacity isn't going to help either. So the shooter has to reload a bit more often, or, carry a couple extra weapons. That isn't going to help folks that are unarmed, and can't fight back.

Mental Health IS the main issue here.

Wanna significantly reduce the frequency/body-count of these incidents? Ban Gun-Free zones.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Mine goes thru so much oil, I use the trip odometer to track it. I go thru a quart about every 100 miles or so......

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Sadly I've got one from today

Changed my oil a few months back, kinda forgot that I have a leaky timing cover seal (seal around harmonic balancer shaft). Was out checking on a customer and I thought I heard a knocking kinda noise.

Went to the gas station to get lawn mower gas and the oil pressure gauge hit 0 for a second, than back up to around 40.

Checked oil when got I home and sure enough there isn't any to read on the dip stick

Dumbass
Well that sucks don't it. Maybe a sticker saying check the fluids is in order lol jk. Hope its ok with oil back in it.

Back in the day of full service gas stations that would never have happened, me I check my oil every two days and walk around my truck at least once a day to check things over. Just call it truck ocd lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Well that sucks don't it. Maybe a sticker saying check the fluids is in order lol jk. Hope its ok with oil back in it.

Back in the day of full service gas stations that would never have happened, me I check my oil every two days and walk around my truck at least once a day to check things over. Just call it truck ocd lol.
It should be fine, the noise wasn't constant, every once and a while...

It's a Dodge, can't kill it!

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread