2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
So I picked up a fairly new Murray Push Mower with the Briggs-Stratton Engine, the spring for the throttle was not doing it's job, so the engine only ran at low rpm, doesn't work too well for mowing, so I adjusted it a bit and it runs great, but man does it EAT gas. It's worse than my Ram...
If it's a Briggs 500, you'll love it.
I've got a cheap Weed Eater 22" deck mower with the Briggs 500 engine. It's 7 years old now and STILL cranks on the first or second starter pull. All I've done is change the spark plug, air filter and housing, and the oil. That's it. Had an issue with it a while back with the carb not behaving, but some Seafoam cleared that up.

You might drop some seafoam into the gas tank, see if it helps the carb jets out.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

It was even worse when the plenum was bad.. did the hughes fix. Squeaky clean in there still today. (almost two years later.) I may be leaking some, but, I know I am burning the rest..... The 'new' motor (rebuildable core) is in the barn, just waiting for money to do it.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's bad......

I went out and did some yard cleanup today.... got my tractor running and functional last month, in hopes of some good weather. Finally got some today. Holy SMOKES is that tractor effective. (JD 216, with 46 inch deck) Went thru grass that hasn't been mowed in two years like it wasn't even there. Mulched up the sticks and such hidden there rather well too..... I was suitably impressed. Need to sharpen the blades now though methinks.
No kidding. I went through 4 tanks of gas just mowing my yard. Doesn't include all the surrounding grass to be cut.

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
If it's a Briggs 500, you'll love it.
I've got a cheap Weed Eater 22" deck mower with the Briggs 500 engine. It's 7 years old now and STILL cranks on the first or second starter pull. All I've done is change the spark plug, air filter and housing, and the oil. That's it. Had an issue with it a while back with the carb not behaving, but some Seafoam cleared that up.

You might drop some seafoam into the gas tank, see if it helps the carb jets out.
I don't know which motor it is off hand. I'll try some SeaFoam. I've been having trouble getting the right amount of tension on the spring though, it's either not enough or wide open, which is what it's on now.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM
stewie01
Legend

You know what's even more interesting? North Korea has been pretty damn quiet since the attack on Boston.

They were in the news pretty much everyday, threatening this or that. And now? Nothing. Not a peep.

Interesting...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I don't know which motor it is off hand. I'll try some SeaFoam. I've been having trouble getting the right amount of tension on the spring though, it's either not enough or wide open, which is what it's on now.
You shouldn't have to adjust the spring. Pictures?
You know what's even more interesting? North Korea has been pretty damn quiet since the attack on Boston.

They were in the news pretty much everyday, threatening this or that. And now? Nothing. Not a peep.

Interesting...
I think that might be because everyone is focused on Boston...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

It was even worse when the plenum was bad.. did the hughes fix. Squeaky clean in there still today. (almost two years later.) I may be leaking some, but, I know I am burning the rest..... The 'new' motor (rebuildable core) is in the barn, just waiting for money to do it.
You could just piece it together. Shoot, it might be in better shape than your current engine.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

We are doing the right thing, and ignoring the tin-pot, loud-mouthed little dictator.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM
stewie01
Legend

You shouldn't have to adjust the spring. Pictures?
The spring had a lot of slack in it, even with the adjuster thingy all the way out the spring didn't have any tension on it.

HeyYou
Administrator

You could just piece it together. Shoot, it might be in better shape than your current engine.
Entirely possible..... I may just hook a battery to it, and do a compression check.

dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

We are doing the right thing, and ignoring the tin-pot, loud-mouthed little dictator.
He's just the 29 year old fat kid that got picked on in middle school anyway.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread