2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trans Rebuild Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yo, this is exactly an option I've been considering. Only thing I'm kinda batting around on this option getting a junkyard tranny. Yet...should I get a 46re and do one of the viper kits or a 47re and viper kits. Currently, I'm thinking of the latter as plan is to get accompanying 241 tcase. This route requires bellhousing change for the 5.9L for the tranny.

Sorry if this goes off track FireDodge, but thought would add to the topic in terms of further options.

Thoughts?
Bellhousing is part of the casting. You can't change it, and the 47RE won't bolt to the V-8s. Basically, the kit under consideration here, upgrades the 46RE, to a fair few of the 47RE internals..... which is really what you want anyway. I don't think I have seen a trans case failure here yet.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yo, this is exactly an option I've been considering. Only thing I'm kinda batting around on this option getting a junkyard tranny. Yet...should I get a 46re and do one of the viper kits or a 47re and viper kits. Currently, I'm thinking of the latter as plan is to get accompanying 241 tcase. This route requires bellhousing change for the 5.9L for the tranny....Thoughts?
Other than the case differences, the planetaries and frictions in DD clutch are the internal differences between 46 and 47. I have not looked at the kits offered by PATC, but I suspect that and billet accumulators may be part of this.

Originally Posted by FireDodge
Officially lost reverse and drive is getting worse. I was looking on the PATC website and was looking at their rebuild kits. They have a combo kit to rebuild it up to their MegaViper specs for $941 or rebuild it to their standard Level 2 Viper for $726. What are your opinions about those?
Kit codes: #K46 and K46-2
Take a good look at what the kit includes. I was in a similar position about a year ago, so opted for more of MonteC's suggestion and upgradec based on some of his suggestions. I have not had much time but I will look at the PATC kits you referenced to see what it includes. I would suggest that you upgrade as much as you can afford on the tranny. Building a good engine and still having a weak transmission is not gling to lead to a better outcome by any means. Have to be able to get the torque and HP to the rear end. Investing in a trans that will last you is money well spent.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bellhousing is part of the casting. You can't change it, and the 47RE won't bolt to the V-8s. Basically, the kit under consideration here, upgrades the 46RE, to a fair few of the 47RE internals..... which is really what you want anyway. I don't think I have seen a trans case failure here yet.
+1.....

Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Aren't people putting 48re stuff into 46re cases as well? That might be worth looking into...

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Aren't people putting 48re stuff into 46re cases as well? That might be worth looking into...
I do believe so. I think the cases are fairly similar, as far as internals go..... although, it appears that most failures are band/torque converter related, or simply old age...... I haven't seen many with thrashed drums etc.....

Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
sleeper07
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this put in:
http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....kit2000up.aspx

Also had bands adjusted as they were very loose.

I did this because trans seemed to be slipping and also seemed to be confused as to what gear to be in. It drives much better now.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Originally Posted by HeyYou
I do believe so. I think the cases are fairly similar, as far as internals go..... although, it appears that most failures are band/torque converter related, or simply old age...... I haven't seen many with thrashed drums etc.....

Yes, and Yes. Such as six gear planetary set, and VB upgrades. Also the additional frictions in Direct Drum was either a 47 or a 48 change. Can't remember......

Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually saw on either horsepower or muscle or something on spike where they cut a bellhousing off like a 4l80e and put an adapter kit on. Doubt they make one for a Chrysler though.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that some place like advance adapters makes something..... Would have to deal with changed drive shaft lengths though.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
I actually saw on either horsepower or muscle or something on spike where they cut a bellhousing off like a 4l80e and put an adapter kit on. Doubt they make one for a Chrysler though.
It used to be, well, maybe still is, a practice to machine the integral bellhousing off to change the front pump and use a flywheel and clutch rather than a torque convertor in a stick bellhousing. 727's were a candidate for this because of they're strength. Do a search, might be someone still selling the stuff to do this with.

Infinite Stall

Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Doh! I must have been thinking that since manuals have options, similarly autos did too.

Thanks for clarifying my err0r.

The swapping of 47re internals to 46re is probably best bet for what I'm envisioning.

Quick Reply: Trans Rebuild Kit?