2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mopar or Hughes Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for speaking up. I was trying to recall whom the other CA person was with an aftermarket IM.

Would you mind letting me know how you passed smog with it installed?

The Hughes site claims it's CA emissions legal citing some wording and then linking to a CARB document. That link is dead....b/c it's been superseded/outdated.

I spoke directly with the CARB office...and they were clear...no EO number = no legal emissions aftermarket part. There isn't one for the F1 nor the M1.

Originally Posted by J415
I have the Hughes Air Gap installed on my rig. I live in Cali (San Francisco Bay Area) and haven't had any issues with my test only smog check. My mods are minimal. SCT, new timing chain and my Air Gap. I had a 52 mm TB installed but the off the line pick up was horrible. Defenitely stick with the stock TB. I got mine from the "parts for sale" section on this site, so I didn't pay retail for it. However, I'd have a really hard time bitting the bullet on that purchase. That's not to say that Air Gap sucks. It gave my rig some *****. I just don't think that the Air Gap or the M1 are worth paying that much.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I have the Hughes Air Gap installed on my rig. I live in Cali (San Francisco Bay Area) and haven't had any issues with my test only smog check. My mods are minimal. SCT, new timing chain and my Air Gap. I had a 52 mm TB installed but the off the line pick up was horrible. Defenitely stick with the stock TB. I got mine from the "parts for sale" section on this site, so I didn't pay retail for it. However, I'd have a really hard time bitting the bullet on that purchase. That's not to say that Air Gap sucks. It gave my rig some *****. I just don't think that the Air Gap or the M1 are worth paying that much.
How can you say that have you tried the M1, just like I can't say the Air gap is junk because I have not tried it. To each there own, just the fact that I can see my dizzy and makes changing the cap/rotor/wires/gets ride of the plenum gasket makes it worth while investment. The power gain is just a bonus.

It is nice to see a airgapper make a post though.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
As HeyYou has posted the Hughes intake is a reworked 4bbl carb intake that was never meant to be a mpi intake. I have the M1 and love it, with other supporting mods you will gain bottom end not lose any at all like you have read, it's cheaper and bolts on without any other stuff to deal with, like the cross over fuel line and a adapter plate to go from a 4bbl to a 2bbl, and one other thing is you will need to make a spot for the IAT as it has no provision for one. I wont say don't get the Hughes intake but I suggest you do some more research on it before you drop the coin on it. The M1 is bought from a Dodge/Mopar dealer or a online store, so you deal with a proper part dealer.
What did you do to work around that?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
hipotek recommended a 50mm tb, but because of the cam profile he was offering a 51mm tb would do the trick too. he said 52mm may move my torque curve higher up, and would have not much bottom end. i figured a 52 would flow better, and more air, so id get more power out of it, for towing, and plowing. guess i was wrong.
Sometimes bigger is not always better I would like to see the cam numbers he is going to offer you, pm them to me so I can have a looky.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
What did you do to work around that?
I guess my wording is just a bit messed up at times, sorry for the confusion. The M1 has a spot right under the tb for the IAT the Airgap has none on the intake at all and most have to put it in the intake tube for the air breather. In the pix below you can see were the IAT is in the M1

Edit: Fixed that wording in my first post on this subject.

Name:  M1009_zps4d3512e0.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  65.2 KB

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Member inFo has the air gap lets hope he will join in soon, I will pm him to join.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Sometimes bigger is not always better I would like to see the cam numbers he is going to offer you, pm them to me so I can have a looky.
i dont have exact cam numbers yet, but at .050 its going to be a .206 .212, with a 108 lsa. ill call him tomorrow to get exact numbers, and then ill pm you everything.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to budge in your discucssion guys but asking for future reference would itd be smarter to get an M1 intake and do that right away rather than doing the plenum stuff? If I read right that intake eliminates the plenum gasket?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
Not to budge in your discucssion guys but asking for future reference would itd be smarter to get an M1 intake and do that right away rather than doing the plenum stuff? If I read right that intake eliminates the plenum gasket?
If you plan on buying an M1 I would just do that instead of pulling the intake to inspect/replace the gasket.

The M1 & Air Gap does indeed eliminate the plenum gasket issue altogether.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i dont have exact cam numbers yet, but at .050 its going to be a .206 .212, with a 108 lsa. ill call him tomorrow to get exact numbers, and then ill pm you everything.
Erm, a 108 lsa? That cam is not going to have any vacuum at all. Looks more like a high RPM cam, than one for a plow truck. I really don't think you are going to like it, and it is going to be a right bitch to get it tuned properly because of the lack of vacuum......

Quick Reply: Mopar or Hughes Manifold?