2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Exhaust Question. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:42 PM
bneumann0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question. please help!

im looking for a new exhaust for my 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 and I wanted it loud so ive been on pretty much every website and every exhaust kit they have isn't very loud or have the muffler I want. Im thinking about just buying a muffler and having a shop build me a custom exhaust but I don't know what size muffler to get. I want the flowmaster super 44 but they have them in all different sizes and different configurations with the in/out holes and I don't know which one I need. Can somebody please help me get the right size and configuration I need. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11098
theres a link to the site, if somebody can help me out that would be great, thank you

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to Dodgeforum. Second, do a search first, you should find some info to help ya. Need some information about your truck to before help can be given, whats all done to it? If its stock exhaust , a single in/ single out 2.5" pipe muffler will fit, but may need a bit of work to fit it correctly.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:28 PM
bneumann0

Theres nothing done to my truck at all, its totally stock. I was thinking about having a exhaust shop build me a dual exhaust, so would I need the one with the dual holes? The reason im looking for a new exhaust is because mine rotted out right after the muffler so the tail pipe is just hanging on by the hanger. I figure the rest of the exhaust isn't too far away from rotting out since its the original exhaust so I wanted to replace the whole system. Im not the best at mechanics so if you could help me out and tell me what to buy that would be awesome. I was also planning on buying a new high flow cat and headers but I have no clue what im looking at, please help. thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM
bneumann0

and what size should I get, you mentioned 2.5 and I think that's the stock size but would it benefit at all to go bigger? my friend has a 2004 ram and he just put a new exhaust on it with 3 inch piping and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of 2.5 to 3 inch. thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 02:37 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

It will provide better flow and be alittle louder when going to 3". You're going to spend a good bit though. Dealing with the cat, get a magnaflow high flow cat, and shorty headers if you don't want alot of problems putting them on.

Longtubes provide better flow/performance/sound. Like going to 3" pipe, long tubes will put alittle hole in your pocket.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
bneumann0

I was thinking about making it a dual exhaust, should I get the one in two out? and if so they don't have 3 inch out just 3 inch in to 2.5 out. what do I do? im totally lost

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I wouldnt do 3" duals... seems a bit much. You need to decide whether you want true duals, as in 2 pipes all the way back to the motor, or a 1 in/2 pipes out muffler set-up. Cheaper and easier to get a muffler with 1 in / 2 out, but true duals provides much better flow and changes the sound of the exhaust quite a bit too. Also look at stickied plenum thread in tech discussion before ya get to many other ideas. Plenum is a very big issue with these trucks.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a look in my garage there are pix of my dual exhaust in there, for duals 2.25 pipe is max dia needed. Just remember duals means twice the cost for pipe.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...uck-19141.html

Last edited by merc225hp; 07-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
bneumann0

ive decided to just get a 3 inch single muffler but im not sure which one to order, they have c/c, o/c, c/o, o/o and o/o same side and I don't know which one will work for my truck, can somebody tell me which one to get, thanks.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I think they are talking inlet/outlet locations.... c being center, o being offset. Look at your muffler, see what you have under there now, and order the same configuration.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question. please help!