2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Check Valve Delete

Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Originally Posted by ZipperStar
Ah, this one runs steel lines from radiator, then disappears under radiator, still steel lines, then if my memory's correct both turn to flex under the radiator, not like your picture shows, then back to steel out from the very center of the bottom radiator support. If there is a valve it is under the radiator where no man go with removing it..
THX for the info on the kit, I might do it but for now all seems perfect with a good hard shift everywhere.
Yeah, sounds like things are significantly different on the 'Rango.

And I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:22 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, sounds like things are significantly different on the 'Rango.

And I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Perhaps only on this set up. I've worked on other Durango's and it's all smaller easier to get to stuff. The slinky bends this trans cooler lines need to take to get around things, are indescribable!

Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Jesse Cain
Default Tranny fitting

Originally Posted by Keith_izzle
So i did the check valve delete and filter install this weekend. The bottom fitting transmission line fitting on the radiator broke off when I took off the old line, (Yes i used the qd tool). It had worn away along the edge where the old quick disconnect sat. I am looking to see if anyone has a part number or source for it bedsides a junkyard. Napa and shucks couldnt find it. I circled the part below. Sorry Aim4squirrels for stealing your pic.
Attachment 99496
I have that fitting if ur still in need of it just let me know

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Jesse Cain
Default I have this fitting if u still need it

Originally Posted by Keith_izzle
So i did the check valve delete and filter install this weekend. The bottom fitting transmission line fitting on the radiator broke off when I took off the old line, (Yes i used the qd tool). It had worn away along the edge where the old quick disconnect sat. I am looking to see if anyone has a part number or source for it bedsides a junkyard. Napa and shucks couldnt find it. I circled the part below. Sorry Aim4squirrels for stealing your pic.
Attachment 99496
I have this fitting if ur still in need of it just let me know

Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Cain
I have this fitting if ur still in need of it just let me know
Which fitting? I might be interested

Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Why don't people drill it out? Took me about 10 minutes and was free. I took a drill bit a little bit bigger than the hole and went up in small increments until I saw a stainless steel disc. I kept going up in small increments until the small disc, ball and spring popped out. used grease on the drill bits to catch the brass as it came off. Reinstalled to the compression fitting and done. My truck has the HD and towing packages with the big cooler in front of the radiator. It doesn't route through the engine radiator. Not sure if this would make a difference. When I put the transmission back in I reverse flushed the lines from the transmission to cooler.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 AM
klm
Default drill baby drill

I'm with you, don't know why they are making a big deal (expensive) out of this. I drilled my check valve out, blew it out good with air nine years ago and never had a problem. I noticed no difference in take off time but I have always gave it a few seconds to warm up. Sold the truck a couple of years ago, over 100,000 miles on it, no problem.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Default 1999 Durango

Put in a new used lower core support yesterday, was harder then expected because of all that's in the way, including fenders. Nice to have the radiator and condenser mounted right long after it was smacked hard. Finally found the check valve stuffed under the radiator, but I can still get to it with the plastic covers off the underside. I don't have a good understanding of the flow through the tranny lines, from trans up from the bottom, through radiator then a trip through the aux cooler, then through check valve, then return to tranny I guess. If that's incorrect, someone let me know please.

Anyway with the two lines disconnected from in and out of radiator and cooler, I blew air both ways to see if check valve was even working.
One way I can't blow through, and the other I believe it was throwing fluid out the vent of tranny. What a surprised mess!

So is the correct way to clear the lines and check the function of check valve, to remove both lines from tranny and blow through those two, so as to see if check valve is functioning. Try blowing both ways from tranny, just to be sure of the flow, or no flow. ? I'm willing to take the debris risk this thing is clean, I had the pan off recently. I don't remember looking to see how hard it might be to reach and remove the cooling lines.
Any ideas would be great, thanks, From Joe..

Last edited by ZipperStar; 05-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Just drill out the check valve, or, replace the section of line entirely. With the valve out of the way, you can flush the lines/coolers, if you really want to.

Fluid comes from the trans, to the bottom port on the radiator, (and the check valve *should* be right where the lines transitions from metal, to rubber.) out the radiator to the aux cooler (if equipped) and then back to the trans.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Just drill out the check valve, or, replace the section of line entirely. With the valve out of the way, you can flush the lines/coolers, if you really want to.

Fluid comes from the trans, to the bottom port on the radiator, (and the check valve *should* be right where the lines transitions from metal, to rubber.) out the radiator to the aux cooler (if equipped) and then back to the trans.
Perhaps I didn't make my situation clear. Why didn't the fluid return to the other disconnected radiator line, instead it blasted out the vent. In other words, I'm wondering if that might be the wrong route to take blowing the air to test valve.
Perhaps it must be done by blowing air through the two disconnected lines right off the tranny.. I believe it might.
THX, I hope that was explained better, I haven't been to bed yet, lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Check Valve Delete