2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speedometer and overdrive not workin

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
andy_s273
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer and overdrive not workin

i just got the 46rh replaced and it was runnin great. then one night while going to work my speedo went straight to 0 and i noticed the rpms were a little high, the speedo gauge was jumpin up and down a bit often,and the check engine light came on. now the guy i got the tranny from said if your speedo wont work then od wont either on this tranny that makes sense but it was working fine for ike 3 days prior to this... so does it sound like the sensor just went out or maybe th adjust ment is off..... its a 95 reg half ton with 318 stock.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say its the speed sensor in the tail end of the tranny or t-case if its a 4wd. the driven gear or drive gear or both gears could also be stripped.

take the speed sensor out of the hole, turn the ignition on and spin the gear on the sensor by hand if the speedo moves, one of the gears is likely stripped if not, the sensor is prolly gone

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM
andy_s273

do u mean like just click it over to where the fuel pump turns on.... take out the sensor... then spin the gear. well wont alot of tranny fluid spill out? and not only that but if it is stripped which gear are you talking about?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 AM
andy_s273

not only that but i just realized that the tranny shifts up only not down unless u stop put in park and go up the gears. when u slow down it stays in third..... please i need advice ive already put out 600 bucks on this truk....

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check the VSS in the trans as outlined above. There is also an ABS sensor in the top of the rear diff...... I am putting my money on the one in the tailshaft of the trans though.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by andy_s273
do u mean like just click it over to where the fuel pump turns on.... take out the sensor... then spin the gear. well wont alot of tranny fluid spill out? and not only that but if it is stripped which gear are you talking about?
u nevr mentioned if it was 4wd or not? if it is 4wd ull get very minimal spillage, if it makes you feel better jack the truck up so it tilts to the passenger side.

yes turn the ignition to the on position (1 click b4 start) and spin the gear by hand if the speedo moves ur gear(s) are stripped which is probably evident. Its likely both becuz the dummy mopar engineer made them both plastic instead of making the drive gear metal and the driven gear plastic. if the speedo doesnt move ur vss is likely bad, get a new one, $53 at napa. if that doesnt fix it uve got a bad connection somewhere but thats not too likely.

let me know if the speedo moves when you turn the gear and i can walk you through the replacement, which will require you to special order the $10 drive gear from mopar, however you can get a driven gear for $30 on ebay which sure as heck beats mopars $90.

like heyyou said there is an abs sensor on the pumpkin that would cause similar problems in a '98-'01 but with ur symptoms i dont think this is the case. if it was out ud get an abs and brake light illumination. what year is it?

it could also be 2 seperate problems, the tv cable could need adjustment or the return spring could be bad.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by matty675
u nevr mentioned if it was 4wd or not? if it is 4wd ull get very minimal spillage, if it makes you feel better jack the truck up so it tilts to the passenger side.

yes turn the ignition to the on position (1 click b4 start) and spin the gear by hand if the speedo moves ur gear(s) are stripped which is probably evident. Its likely both becuz the dummy mopar engineer made them both plastic instead of making the drive gear metal and the driven gear plastic. if the speedo doesnt move ur vss is likely bad, get a new one, $53 at napa. if that doesnt fix it uve got a bad connection somewhere but thats not too likely.

let me know if the speedo moves when you turn the gear and i can walk you through the replacement, which will require you to special order the $10 drive gear from mopar, however you can get a driven gear for $30 on ebay which sure as heck beats mopars $90.

like heyyou said there is an abs sensor on the pumpkin that would cause similar problems in a '98-'01 but with ur symptoms i dont think this is the case. if it was out ud get an abs and brake light illumination. what year is it?

it could also be 2 seperate problems, the tv cable could need adjustment or the return spring could be bad.
also if you have cheap acess to an obd1 code reader (unfortunately most parts stores can and will only read od2 for free) see if you are getting a code 15 which would confirm our suspicions

Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 PM
andy_s273

sorry about tht its a 2wd. and ill definately check asap. and get back to you all. this forum is so helpful thank you all so much

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by andy_s273
sorry about tht its a 2wd. and ill definately check asap. and get back to you all. this forum is so helpful thank you all so much
hmmm, no experience with 2wd but im sure its a pretty identical procedure. any idea HeyYou? the vss will be on the driver side at the tail end of the tranny with white, black, and orange wires goin to it. you can take out the vss without the gear but id just take it all out so you can check out the gears. undo the bolt that holds on the retainer, BUT BEFORE U DO, LOOK AT THE SIX OCLOCK POSITION OF THE FIXTURE AND NOTE THE NUMBERS THAT ARE IN THAT POSTION AS THEY WILL NEED TO BE REINSTALLED IN THE 6 O CLOCK POSITION. THE NOTCHES WONT LET IT INSTALL AT EXACTLY 6 O CLOCK BUT AS CLOSE AS U CAN GET IT

Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

as far as how your trans is shifting, if this does not resolve the issue, locate the tv cable- its connected the throttle lever and travels under the firewall. follow the cable all the way to the shift lever on the drivers side of the tranny. move the shift lever by hand- is there any play in it? when you push it towards the back of the truck does it return all the way towards the front of the truck when you let go?. head back up to the engine, play with the throttle lever, does the tv cable mimic every move the throttle lever makes at the exact time you move it? is there any delay?

Quick Reply: speedometer and overdrive not workin