2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salex007
id say get the rockers instead of the cam, involves way less work.
see now thats the lazy mans way out. if you like taking the easy way out you shouldnt be touching or working on a vehicle! i have all the tools i need to correctly work on and fix my truck the first time. i will probly be going with the cam just because the guy at southeast performance was a complete jackhole over the phone telling me that krc performance had junk cams and that sct was a junk tuner. im just trying to decide which cam to go with.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Salex007
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im saying that because the rockers will provide a greater gain for the amount of time you spend on installation, when I do a cam install id rather do my main mods like heads and possible a stroker and do it all together and correct instead of keep tearing into the engine. Also I live in Iowa and this truck is my daily driver in the winter so I dont have the time versus spring time I can drive my bike

Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Salex007
im saying that because the rockers will provide a greater gain for the amount of time you spend on installation, when I do a cam install id rather do my main mods like heads and possible a stroker and do it all together and correct instead of keep tearing into the engine. Also I live in Iowa and this truck is my daily driver in the winter so I dont have the time versus spring time I can drive my bike
doing a cam swap for me is a 1 day job, 2 days max if i have the time to stretch it out. i live in NH so winters are just as bad for me. although i wont be doing the cam until february, but i also have a place i can work on my truck to shield it from the weather. im not going overboard with my mods, i just want a little extra power for when im towing and plowing. i may down the road do a few other mods, but for now it will be a cam sct and other bolt ons.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the 206x. donnt mess with the 1,7's. i have them and didnt think they are that impressive. though there is a small gain there, and a easy install.

and donnt get the 210x and think you are gonna get a bunch of power on the low end, cause you are not.

krc is now watson performance

Last edited by talon6; 12-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of anyone complain about the KRC 206 or 210x, only good things.
Southeast & KRC have never got along, (mostly Southeast badmouthing KRC)
Southeast love selling parts that dont fit for cht.
Buddy got mid tube headers off them, had to notch the frame on his Indy they were cocked to one side of the truck (both headers).
He later bought a deep alum oil pan they said would fit his 5.9/ram, nope.
As soon as we tried lowering the mtr back onto the mounts it hit big time on one side.
Had to get a shop to notch out a big triangular shaped piece the length of the pan.

Originally Posted by Rockyhigh360
I just installed a Hughes cam with my 1.7's. The only issue I had was to upgrade my springs to handle the added stress with higher lift

If you decide to put a new cam in, I would suggest new lifters, springs, and cam bearings. If you are going to go that deep..... well, lets just say you can spend some cash and go all out, or go cheap and always worry about what you could have or should have done.
What is the Hughes 220/233 cam? Not listed
Most of their cams in that range of duro have 544lift which is too much to be able to run a 1.7rr with. 544 is the max without having to valve relief the pistons.

Not familiar with 5.2 valve to piston clearance tbh but if you add a cam with anything over 460 lift then you must change the springs.
KRC 206 has 480/512 IIRC, 210 512 on both so new springs & retainers needed.
Anything over 510L on a 5.9 is about the max with a 1.7rr, not sure on the 5.2s

Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
What is the Hughes 220/233 cam? Not listed
Most of their cams in that range of duro have 544lift which is too much to be able to run a 1.7rr with. 544 is the max without having to valve relief the pistons.

Not familiar with 5.2 valve to piston clearance tbh but if you add a cam with anything over 460 lift then you must change the springs.
KRC 206 has 480/512 IIRC, 210 512 on both so new springs & retainers needed.
Anything over 510L on a 5.9 is about the max with a 1.7rr, not sure on the 5.2s
i called watson and asked if i needed new springs and retainers for either the 206 or 210x and was told they would work perfectly with the stock valve train. plus the website also says that no valvetrain modification is needed with the 210x cam...so who's correct here?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

you will WANT new valve springs for the added lift of the new cam

Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
you will WANT new valve springs for the added lift of the new cam
Gotta agree with this. The springs that are on there now have how many miles on them? The added lift is going to stress them even more, and you could possibly run in to things like valve float..... especially at higher RPM. Not something you want to experience. Putting in springs designed to work with your cam of choice is an extremely good plan, and, while you are right there.... change the valve seals.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

well i think im going to go with the 206 cam, just because it has a lower operating rpm. does anyone here have the 206 cam? if you do, do you have any videos of it running?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

install new lifters and springs @ the least with a new cam, push rods and bearings are subject to inspection. Don't be cheap, do it right. Also .520/.533 is the design lift of my cam (actual lift with rockers). Lift, Duration, Overlap, and Ramp Speed are all major considerations. Try to speak with whoever you will purchase the cam from and ask all the questions you can throw @ them. If they want your buisness, then they'll take the time, If not... their loss not yours.

Quick Reply: Cam Questions