2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i picked out my cam, i will be getting this one. now i have other questions. what springs and retainers should i get, and why do i need to replace the lifters? what lifters should i get?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

These are the suggested springs. (you need 16 of them.... I seriously doubt they are selling a complete set for 10 bucks......)

In the old days of flat hydraulic lifters, new lifters were a requirement with a new cam. These days, not so much with the rollers lifters..... Replacing them is more 'insurance' than anything else. Stock replacements would probably be fine. If your don't have a lot of miles on them, you can reuse them, but, bear in mind, this is a meaner cam...... gonna beat on 'em a bit harder than stock.

For retainers and locks, when you order the cam and springs, talk to the salesperson about them.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
These are the suggested springs. (you need 16 of them.... I seriously doubt they are selling a complete set for 10 bucks......)

In the old days of flat hydraulic lifters, new lifters were a requirement with a new cam. These days, not so much with the rollers lifters..... Replacing them is more 'insurance' than anything else. Stock replacements would probably be fine. If your don't have a lot of miles on them, you can reuse them, but, bear in mind, this is a meaner cam...... gonna beat on 'em a bit harder than stock.

For retainers and locks, when you order the cam and springs, talk to the salesperson about them.
thanks heyyou...i wont be ordering them until the end of january +/- a few days. but i want to get all my parts in order now so i wont be rushing to get things ordered. one more final question...do i need to get engine break-in oil? if so i plan on running royal purple's break-in oil, if not ill start running my good friend mr. mobil-1

Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Use some of the assembly lube they list as a "requirement"..... and be very liberal with it when you do the install. Make sure you follow the recommended break-in procedure for the cam as well.

I think the break-in oil might be overkill, but, I have never really had a problem with overkill.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

last but not least...do i need to replace the valve covers? what about pushrods? money is running thin on the build already haha. hopefully a miracle happens come tax time!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Valve covers should be fine. Pushrods only if they are not the correct length. (which shouldn't be an issue....) Or, is something is obviously wrong with them......

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny KRC says you dont need to upgrade springs, maybe this cam has very slow ramp speed?

Originally Posted by Rockyhigh360
install new lifters and springs @ the least with a new cam, push rods and bearings are subject to inspection.
Dont forgot to mention the retainers too

Mopar RT cam, is smallest cam for a Magnum engine with 270/276 adv. (unknow .050 duro)
It only has .458/.467lift (w/1.6rr) yet Mopar says you need higher lift springs than stock.

Originally Posted by Rockyhigh360
Also .520/.533 is the design lift of my cam (actual lift with rockers).
Ah your talking lift, no wonder I couldnt find it lol
Most only mention the duro, your cam specs being a 192/204 - .490/.502 @ 1.6

Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

if thats the case on not really needing new springs, maybe ill just get them and install them when i do the cam, then later down the road get the hs 1.7 rr's...

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think doing the 1.7s with that cam is going to put you over the max lift for the engine. Parts will start running into each other, without some further prep work.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 AM
rond97sport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
well i picked out my cam, i will be getting this one. now i have other questions. what springs and retainers should i get, and why do i need to replace the lifters? what lifters should i get?
thats a good cam the smaller 254 actually makes near the same power and more torque

Quick Reply: Cam Questions