2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to search? Screw that !

Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
PCMScan. (100 bucks for a license.... )

This one..... (free)

a google search will turn up more of them.... (I want a laptop, so I can actually try out some of these, and have a REAL recommendation....)

Cables are also findable on a google search. Some of the software requires specific cabling, others will work with darn near anything.

Downloaded from the link you provided. I'll check it when cables come in next week and let everyone know what it will do. Simulator was not very "informational" if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM
gdstock
Legend

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Heck, I bet that snap-on cable I have is serial port. Might run it in the laptop and see what happens for grins.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
gdstock
Legend

So as I am thinking I need to replace Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid, I decide to double chek kickdown band adjustment and tightened it slightly. Drove about 3 miles, with no change. Except when i got back to the house, I had no reverse.....Could I have screwed up the kickdown band in 3 miles? Would that blow reverse? I plan to put it back where it was tomorrow (daylight because I cannot move it over to get into garage).

If anyone can screw it up....I probably can.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

No that couldn't have screwed up reverse. A broken piston or missing strut will cause no reverse. You could always hook up a 300 psi gauge the reverse port and find out what you line pressure is. Line pressure for reverse goes as high as 220 psi.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by master tech
No that couldn't have screwed up reverse. A broken piston or missing strut will cause no reverse. You could always hook up a 300 psi gauge the reverse port and find out what you line pressure is. Line pressure for reverse goes as high as 220 psi.

Would that be the strut on front band or rear? When I started this rodeo, I found the anchor for the kickdown band laying loose in the pan, but strut was still in place.

Which piston would it be, and what would cause it to suddenly fail. Transmission just rebuilt, new seals on pistons, and each was inspected thouroughly.

I'll try to round up a gauge and check the pressure.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 AM
drewactual
Champion

I wish you would have said something about that OBD to USB/Serial cable before.. I could have tossed one in the box for you..

the free software linked is as good as any of the pay-for that I've encountered.. I dig it..

getting the computer (tried XPsp3, Vista SP2, and 7sp1) to recognize the port is tricky, and getting it to remember it the next time you slave it up is even trickier..

best of luck with the transmission dude.. I'm all but certain the famed "Pandora's Box" is shaped just like an automatic transmission casing, because of all the mystery it holds.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
I wish you would have said something about that OBD to USB/Serial cable before.. I could have tossed one in the box for you..

the free software linked is as good as any of the pay-for that I've encountered.. I dig it..

getting the computer (tried XPsp3, Vista SP2, and 7sp1) to recognize the port is tricky, and getting it to remember it the next time you slave it up is even trickier..

best of luck with the transmission dude.. I'm all but certain the famed "Pandora's Box" is shaped just like an automatic transmission casing, because of all the mystery it holds.

Hey, thanks anyway. I have a cable coming and hope it arrives next week. I ahd actually planned to modify it to connect to the computer on my 88 Jag (but maybe not now....seems I got my hands full on this Ram) Also wanted to see what else I could get it to tell me on this Dodge.

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem